AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Everyone Reading?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: What's Everyone Reading? Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyone is reading right now. I am reading Lord Braybook's Penniless Bride by Elizabeth Rolls and Royal Bridesmaides and Anthology by Laurens, Foley and Chase.

This is not meant to compete with the Recently Read posts. I love to get ideas by seeing what others are reading. There is no pressure to post a synopsis or review and its fine to mention books that aren't romance. Thanks in advance.
MMcA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Dear Author's 'Open Thread for Readers for November' Estara mentioned an author called Andrea Höst. I hadn't heard of her, but the first book of her Touchstone Trilogy 'Stray' was available for free on Amazon.co.uk, so I decided to try it.
That was on Monday. Tuesday (or at least, after midnight on Monday) I bought the second, and the next day the third & a (very lengthy) epilogue.
It's been ages since I properly lost myself in a book that way: I stayed up till almost 4am to finish the second, and 2am to finish the third - thank goodness that it's half-term.

It's one of those stories that sounds very familiar - teenage girl stumbles through a portal into another world, and gets caught up in their struggle to survive. And, as you'd imagine, she proves to have a unique talent that may make all the difference.

Which proves, I suppose, that it's all in the telling - because it all felt fresh, and I just tore through the trilogy. (This evening I read nothing at all: I think I sated myself with the Höst.)
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a real Western kick lately so I'm doing about my fourth reread of Lawless by Patricia Potter, this time as an ebook which I got for a real good price at Amazon
dick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read ''The Guardian," a Harlequin SR by Bethany Campbell. The first half bogged down; the last third was really good. Before that, I finished, after some time letting it sprawl out on the print, Kleypas' "Dream Lake," which I found, oh, a little silly, except for the food and descriptions of it. I tried--again--to read Linda Castiollo's "Pray for Silence," but cannot abide first person. In contrast, despite it's being in first person, I read and was surprised to thoroughly enjoy "A Duty to the Dead" by Charles Todd. Prior to that, I read or tried to read all but six books in the TBR, some all the way through, a number only about 50 pages, about a 50/50 split of each; I grow impatiently bored more readily lately. As a result of my perseverance, or at least a good try at it, I have a large bag of books for the UBS.

Bet you're sorry you asked.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot. Still continuing with the ...In Death series and sporadic new-issue books as they come in from the library, which are few and far between it seems. Not sure why this is such a quiet time--must be the upcoming holidays. There may be more offered in January, me thinks.
Lillian Sulivan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm re-rereading a novel I wrote, this time trying to get the punctuation (mostly, commas) up to scratch. Yes, it's tedious.

Stupid hobby.

Best,
Lilly
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: What's Everyone Reading? Reply with quote

I just finished The General and the Jaguar, about Pershing's punitive expedition to Mexico in 1916, chasing Pancho Villa. Before that I read The City of Thieves, by David Benioff, about life in Leningrad during the seige during World War II. I really enjoyed it.
kris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I'm reading Fourth Grave Beneath my Feet by Darynda Jones . I'll probably finish it by tonight since I'm having trouble putting it down(like now). After that it will be either Iced by Karen Marie Moning or A Notorious Countess Confesses.A difficult decision....... Very Happy
Eggletina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Haunted Ground by Erin Hart this morning. It's part archaeological mystery, part crime fiction, pairing an archaeologist with a pathologist investigating the mystery of a bog body in Ireland.

I've just started Kristen Callihan's Firelight which is a bargain Paranormal Romance set in Victorian England (eBook is selling for $1.99 right now). I'm not really much into Paranormals, but I was curious about this one because it appears to feature several of my favorite things: Beauty and Beast theme, man in a mask, and gothic overtones.
doreenahk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the first book is still available for free at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Stray-Touchstone-ebook/dp/B004T3A518/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351989483&sr=8-2&keywords=stray+andrea+host

I think the epilogue is free from either the author's website or Smashwords.

[quote="MMcA"]On Dear Author's 'Open Thread for Readers for November' Estara mentioned an author called Andrea Höst. I hadn't heard of her, but the first book of her Touchstone Trilogy 'Stray' was available for free on Amazon.co.uk, so I decided to try it.
maryskl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished rereading all the Sookie Stackhouse books and am now on Carla Kelly's vintage books (Miss Milton, Grimsley and Lord Ragsdale).
Jane A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of books on my TBR, but instead of starting something new I'm re-reading Kristen Ashley's Colorado Mountain series. She is my guilty pleasure read! Laughing
xina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane A wrote:
I have a lot of books on my TBR, but instead of starting something new I'm re-reading Kristen Ashley's Colorado Mountain series. She is my guilty pleasure read! Laughing

I feel the same. I read many of the books out of order, the 1st time, and went back to read some in order, and enjoyed them a second time around. I've finally broken free and am reading other things, but her books are addicting. I have to say.
Jane A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

I feel the same. I read many of the books out of order, the 1st time, and went back to read some in order, and enjoyed them a second time around. I've finally broken free and am reading other things, but her books are addicting. I have to say.

I'd read them all out of order, also, so I'm enjoying a reread in order. But hopefully I can break free soon, too. Laughing
MEK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rereading Darlene Marshall's Castaway Dreams. So good! I may pick up more of hers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: