AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lisa Marie Rice's Heart of Danger, Ghost Ops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Lisa Marie Rice's Heart of Danger, Ghost Ops Reply with quote

Lisa Marie Rice's new book, Heart of Danger: A Ghost Ops Novel is out. I am about halfway into it and am surprised that it takes place in the future (maybe 15 or 20 years), and the h has telepathic powers. It involves world politics and danger and so far the story is feeling a little too intense for me. Its expensive, $8.89 on my Kindle. Anyone else start this one yet?
Danielle D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I may not be reading this one, I'm not a big fan of books that take place in the future.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
MEK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price is probably a deal breaker for me. There are too many older books now going digital I've never read that are reasonably priced I can now read.

I did not read much romance for about 10 years and there is much to chose from!

I have enjoyed several of her books, though.
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Say it ain't so LMR! Well, I won't be reading it and frankly, I didn't read her last two books. She's gotten too repetitive for me, but maybe that explains this change in setting. Too bad it's a change that I don't particularly care for. Oh well . . .
Danielle D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
Ugh. Say it ain't so LMR! Well, I won't be reading it and frankly, I didn't read her last two books. She's gotten too repetitive for me, but maybe that explains this change in setting. Too bad it's a change that I don't particularly care for. Oh well . . .

Another one of my favorite authors is going paranormal -- Jo Davis.

Dang, publishing companies that's 2 authors who have lost my sale, 3 if you count Lisa Kleypas.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book was an uncomfortable read for me for two reasons. First, there was some torture going on with comrads of the H that I found very disturbing and secondly, the H and h were busy "getting to know one another" when I thought they should be rescuing the fallen comrads so the romance didn't work for me.
Estelle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first LMR book that really disappointed me.

I usually enjoy futuristic books but here it was handled in a weird way. All the futuristic elements felt tacked on. When a "futuristic object" is introduced, it feels like info dump. There was nothing organic about the worldbuilding. This book could easily have been written as a contemporary, IMO. Even the paranormal elements could have been written out.

But the worldbuilding isn't my only problem with this book. The pacing also felt off. The hero distrusts the heroine until midway through the book (with reasons) and then they're suddenly getting it on a few pages later. I might have overlooked this if the main couple had the usual "LMR chemistry" but here the romance felt pretty bland to me. There was no spark.

And while all the distrusting and sexy times are going on, the reader is made aware that there's a guy important to the hero about to be executed. It's hard to root for a couple and a community of refugees when we are reminded of the villain's plot every chapter or so. The hero and his mates have all the info they need but don't act on it. Instead we get treated to a birth, sex scenes, breakfasts/lunches/dinners etc...

To be fair, the book happens over a very short period of time (we're almost talking hours here). But it's one of its stumbling blocks, IMO. LMR pulled it off several times before but she wasn't so successful here.

I was three quarters through the book when I found myself wondering why I was still reading since I wasn't interested in the fate of the main couple. So I put the book away and found myself something better to read. So many books, so little time.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be reading this one, but Dabney's review is hilarious. "nodded enthusiastically," indeed. LOL
erika

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The review made me grin. I'm waiting for this Rice book to show up at the ubs. I'm not a fan of instant sex in romances. Like the build up of sexual tension better makes the story feel more like a romance than erotica with the story being an afterthought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: