AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WW I or WW II books out there???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Carrie Lofty's His Very Own Girl and I am very impressed. I keep meaning to try Carrie Lofty as I've heard her mentioned favorably before, and since I received a Kobo for my birthday, I have been trying new authors. I have to admit I chose this one both for the unusual setting and because it was cheap, $2.99. The setting and history were not just background but an integral part of the story, but the romance wasn't skimped on at all. Anyone looking for WWII romance, or just anything different should really try this one.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
If you like romantic suspense/espionage thrillers there's Helen MacInnes who wrote quite a few books that take place during WWII. I'd rec titles but I lost (actually lent then never got back) my collection years ago and can't remember specific titles.

I really liked While Still We Live (also titled The Unconquerable) by her, which is about Germany's invasion of Poland and the Polish Resistance. It was published before the end of the war which in hindsight makes it interesting to me as well.

If you don't mind reading a lot of extra history, the WWII section of James Michener's Poland is good, too.

I love Alan Furst's novels. Most of them deal with the build-up to WWII, and it is fascinating. Most of them have a romantic sub-plot as well (though some work better than others). His first is Night Soldiers and I think one of his best. It actually covers the duration of the war.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bess Crawford books by Charles Todd aren't romance but are the best things I have ever read re WWI. The first in the series is a Duty to the Dead.

Dying in the Wool by Frances Brody takes place between the wars and is also excellent.

maggie b.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For novels (long, substantial ones) without anything much in the way of romance, a person can try Upton Sinclair's Lanny Budd series. I'm posting the Wikipedia write-up below. I read them when I was in high school.

The Lanny Budd series

Between 1940 and 1953, Sinclair wrote a series of 11 novels featuring a central character named Lanny Budd. He was the son of an American arms manufacturer who moved in the confidence of world leaders, not simply witnessing events but often propelling them. The protagonist has been characterized as the antithesis of the "Ugly American", a sophisticated socialite who mingles easily with people from all cultures and socioeconomic classes.[48]

The series covers in sequence much of the political history of the Western world, particularly Europe and America, in the first half of the twentieth century. Out of print and almost totally forgotten today, the novels were all bestsellers upon publication and were published in twenty-one countries. The third book in the series, Dragon's Teeth, won the Pulitzer Prize for the Novel in 1943.[49]

The novels in the Lanny Budd series are:

World's End, 1940
Between Two Worlds, 1941
Dragon's Teeth, 1942
Wide Is the Gate, 1943
Presidential Agent, 1944
Dragon Harvest, 1945
A World to Win, 1946
Presidential Mission, 1947
One Clear Call, 1948
O Shepherd, Speak!, 1949
The Return of Lanny Budd, 1953
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus there are Angela Thirkell's novels, written contemporary to the period. The love stories are very understated.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy, set in WWI, is astounding, especially the first. Much of the action of the first book, also called Regeneration, is set in a hospital for those suffering from shell shock, and she makes the challenges and characters very real. I think she won the Booker Prize for these and well deserved it. Most definitely not Romance.

While Mary Stewart's My Brother Michael is set on Greece shortly after WWII, it is war-time events that are the catalyst for the plot. As in all her books, there is a lovely romance.
Cobbsouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion of Connie Willis's two-fer, BLACKOUT and ALL CLEAR! Be aware, though, that BLACKOUT ends on a cliff-hanger, so you'll need to read both to get the whole story, including a couple of sweet, understated romances.

I've also enjoyed Sarah Sundin's WWII inspirationals. In addition to the trilogy mentioned in this thread, she also has a new book out called WITH EVERY LETTER.

As for WWI, I love, Love LOVE R. T. Stevens's FLIGHT FROM BUCHAREST! (It was also re-issued in paperback under the title IN MY ENEMY'S ARMS.)
--All About Romance on A DEAD BORE
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's Anne Perry's WWI series (not at all heavy on romance). You can find synopses here: http://www.anneperry.net/booklist/8
LFL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Through by Susan Isaacs. It's hard to categorize this book. Part women's fiction, part espionage thriller? There's a nice romantic thread too, but it comes late in the book. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

"It's 1940 and Linda Voss, legal secretary extraordinaire, has a secret. She's head over heels in love with her boss, John Berringer, the pride of the Ivy League. Not that she even has a chance--he'd never take a second look at a German-Jewish girl from Queens who spends her time taking care of her faded beauty of a mother and following bulletins on the war in Europe. For Linda, though, the war will soon become all too real. Engulfing her nation and her life, it will offer opportunities she's never dreamed of. A chance to win the man she wants...a chance to find the love she deserves."

There's also A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot -- a terrific historical mystery that was a keeper for me. It centers on World War I though much of the story takes place between the wars. It is set in France.

It got a Desert Isle Keeper review here on AAR: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=5570
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Author just reviewed a WWI romance: Saving the Rifleman by Julie Rowe
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read His Very Own Girl, which I won here at AAR. WWII setting -- really good. My full review: http://karenknowsbest.com/2012/10/21/review-his-very-own-girl-by-carrie-lofty/#more-10231
D Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: WWI Stories Reply with quote

It's not a romance exactly, but I did like Touchstone by Laurie King (interwar years).

Denise
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL wrote:
Shining Through by Susan Isaacs. It's hard to categorize this book. Part women's fiction, part espionage thriller? There's a nice romantic thread too, but it comes late in the book. Here's the blurb from Amazon:

"It's 1940 and Linda Voss, legal secretary extraordinaire, has a secret. She's head over heels in love with her boss, John Berringer, the pride of the Ivy League. Not that she even has a chance--he'd never take a second look at a German-Jewish girl from Queens who spends her time taking care of her faded beauty of a mother and following bulletins on the war in Europe. For Linda, though, the war will soon become all too real. Engulfing her nation and her life, it will offer opportunities she's never dreamed of. A chance to win the man she wants...a chance to find the love she deserves."

There's also A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot -- a terrific historical mystery that was a keeper for me. It centers on World War I though much of the story takes place between the wars. It is set in France.

It got a Desert Isle Keeper review here on AAR: http://likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=5570

I just added a comment about Maureen Corrigan's book about reading on the AAR blog. Shining Through is one of the books she mentions that she's reread many times and enjoyed each time. As for A Very Long Engagement, I liked that one myself. It manages to be about both the larger issues of war and justice and the smaller issues (that turn out to be not so small after all) of relationships, courage, and following one's heart.
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If interested in gay romance/fiction

G.N. Chevalier: Bonds of Earth - post WWI NY setting with two emotionally and physically scarred veterans

Tamara Allen: Whistling In The Dark - also post WWI with two veterans in a NYC setting but more about living in the era than surviving the affects of the war.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL wrote:
Shining Through by Susan Isaacs. It's hard to categorize this book. Part women's fiction, part espionage thriller?

I was so disappointed by Shining Through after hearing so many raves about it. I simply couldn't fall into the fantasy. And don't get me started on the movie!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: