AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Children of Liberty by Paullina Simons prequel to TBH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Margaret

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Children of Liberty by Paullina Simons prequel to TBH Reply with quote

Is anyone planning to read Children of Liberty? Or, are you over The Bronze Horseman and all the spin-offs?
r00chick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, so totally over anything that is spin-offs of TBH. I loved loved loved TBH, it was the book that got me started reading the romance genre and for that alone I am forever grateful. However, I wish I have never laid eyes on The Summer Garden, it totally ruined Alexander and Tatiana for me forever. I love them so much in TBH and the in the second book but in TSG it was like they are totally different characters and I really disliked them both in that book. There is such a thing of too much of a good thing and TSG is an example of that. IMO, their story should have ended with the second book and I would have been much more happy with it, no need to have details AFTER the HEA.

So no I won't be reading Alexander parents' story, we all know how well that one ended.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed all the books...even Summer Garden, although it is probably my least favorite, but I'm still glad she wrote it. So...sure, I'll be reading it.
Yulie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Children of Liberty by Paullina Simons prequel to TBH Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Is anyone planning to read Children of Liberty? Or, are you over The Bronze Horseman and all the spin-offs?

Considering we know that Gina and Harry end up miserable in the USSR and then dead, having almost ruined their son's life - no, I'll pass. Too depressing. It would be worse than reading Edmund and Violet Bridgerton's romance, which Julia Quinn has said she wouldn't write; at least the Bridgertons were happy together during their marriage.

That said, if Simons ever decides to give Sam Gulotta a happy ending, or gets Tatiana's Table published as an e-book, I'd consider reading both.
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so looking forward to it. I was very late to this series, but I loved them all. In fact, TBH is one of my favorite books of all time. I actually liked the other two also, but TBH was just incredible. It even spurred me onto reading straight history books on Russia!

Being late to the party, I am not familiar with any other spin-offs, other than the series itself. Are ya'll talking about the trilogy, or other books like these? If there are others, pleeeeese let me know!!!!

I am so crazy (still) about them, that I own 3 copies. Hardback (book shelf keepers), paperbacks (that I love to loan out so others can enjoy as much as I), and for my kindle (I have a folder entitled DIK for keepers forever).
Margaret

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00chick wrote:
Oh yes, so totally over anything that is spin-offs of TBH. I loved loved loved TBH, it was the book that got me started reading the romance genre and for that alone I am forever grateful. However, I wish I have never laid eyes on The Summer Garden,

I'm still on the fence about reading COL. I do enjoy Simon's books, two of my all time favourite books are TBH and The Girl In Times Square. TSG was okay...but I really didn't like Alexander much in that book.

Quote:
Xina wrote...So...sure, I'll be reading it

I think it's available now as an ebook, but I'll be waiting for the paperback release if I do decide to read it..

Quote:
Yulie wrote...Considering we know that Gina and Harry end up miserable in the USSR and then dead, having almost ruined their son's life - no, I'll pass.

Yulie, I really like that description! So why am I still considering reading it Confused

Quote:

Yulie wrote...or gets Tatiana's Table published as an e-book

I have of copy of the book. Cute little anecdotes to go along with the recipies...I've tried a few.

Quote:
Vol Fan wrote... Are ya'll talking about the trilogy, or other books like these? If there are others, pleeeeese let me know!!!!

Nope, I think you're all got up. There is the original trilogy, a companion cookbook called Tatiana's Table, and then the new prequel called Children of Liberty about Alexander's parents.
Cee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bronze Horseman is a phenomenal book, I couldn't put it down. The Summer Garden was horrible and ruined the characters I loved. I think I'm still too pissed off at Paullina Simons to read another book by her. I can't even reread TBH because I know what's coming. Crying or Very sad
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Margaret. I would love to read Tatiana's Table, but right now it's too expensive. If it ever comes down in price, I'd like to read it too.

While I do agree with everyone that these characters really did do some things I was uncomfortable with and didn't like, overall, I think I was even more impressed with the historical aspect of the stories, even more so than the love story aspect. Sadly, while I thought I knew my history, I am embarrassed to say I had no idea that Leningrad went through all this during the war. As I said, I was so fascinated by the Russian part of WWII, I went out and got regular history books to brush up on it. Being American, I knew our side of WWII, but very little about what the Russian people went through.

Plus, having lived thru the Vietnam War, I found the son's story compelling too.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give the book a try just because I love her writing. I've read almost all her books and liked them, some more than others. I have to say that I didn't like her novel, Tully very much, and found it very depressing. I think that may have been one of her earlier books.
This book looks interesting though and I wonder how much of it is a romance, even though Simons describes the relationship as ill-fated?
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I'll give the book a try just because I love her writing. I've read almost all her books and liked them, some more than others. I have to say that I didn't like her novel, Tully very much, and found it very depressing. I think that may have been one of her earlier books.
This book looks interesting though and I wonder how much of it is a romance, even though Simons describes the relationship as ill-fated?

Speaking of her other books, I've never read any of them. Can you all give some reviews of her other stuff?
WandaSue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first I've heard of "Children of Liberty." And knowing what I already know of Gina and Harry, I think I'm going to give it a pass. (Liberty? Aren't they communists?)

Alexander "Barrington" Belov is my #1 hero of all time. Yes, even surpassing Jamie Fraser. While I own "The Summer Garden," I have never read it, having been "warned" that in growing old, Tatiana and Alexander change perhaps a little too much, and not for the better. Though real life does work that way, that is the VERY reason I don't like my fictional characters to sink into the same real-life traps of real-life people. In other words, I prefer to keep my favorite fictional characters high up on their pedestals, and prefer their feet of clay remain hidden.

So no. I don't think I'll read the "prequel" -- besides, it seems like so much milking of a good thing will eventually backfire.
r00chick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee wrote:
The Bronze Horseman is a phenomenal book, I couldn't put it down. The Summer Garden was horrible and ruined the characters I loved. I think I'm still too pissed off at Paullina Simons to read another book by her. I can't even reread TBH because I know what's coming. Crying or Very sad

Yes Cee, I totally agreed! Alexander turned into a major abusive jerk in TSG while Tatiana who was sweet and sensible in TBH turned into a super genius career woman that every man on earth salivates over! Rolling Eyes She was never described as a gorgeous beauty or sexy in the first two books but all of a sudden every men in America were mesmerized by her. But what I can never get over is the fact that they were both such horrible selfish parents to Anthony its no wonder why he was so messed up when he grew up! They were never there for him, neglecting him and relegating him to the care of Vicky all the time. Seen him more of an inconvenience and obstacle to their reunion rather than as a result of their love. While they wallow the whole time they can't get pregnant and have an "American" kid to replace the sad memories of a their "Leningrad" kid. CPS should have intervened and taken Anthony away from them, he will be better off in foster care than having them as parents. Should parents regret a child because of the memories he/she reminds them of because by that standard my grandparents should disowned my dad and his six siblings since all of them were borne during the Great Leap Forward in China (extremely miserable times I can assure you). But all is well suddenly when she finally gets pregnant and have like 4 more kids, yeah right. The ending was so saccharine (too long drawn also) I think I got diabetes just from reading it.

Sorry for the rant but just really hated TSG.
Cee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00chick wrote:
Yes Cee, I totally agreed! Alexander turned into a major abusive jerk in TSG while Tatiana who was sweet and sensible in TBH turned into a super genius career woman that every man on earth salivates over! Rolling Eyes She was never described as a gorgeous beauty or sexy in the first two books but all of a sudden every men in America were mesmerized by her. But what I can never get over is the fact that they were both such horrible selfish parents to Anthony its no wonder why he was so messed up when he grew up!

My real issue was with the total destruction of Alexander's character. I can't believe he went from a hero who gave Tatiana his food during the war so she wouldn't starve to death, to an abusive, cheating rapist. It made me sick how Tatiana was still in love with him, excusing and justifying his behaviour because he was just sooo damaged. Rolling Eyes It's like TSG was written by a different person.
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00chick wrote:
Alexander turned into a major abusive jerk in TSG while Tatiana who was sweet and sensible in TBH turned into a super genius career woman that every man on earth salivates over! Rolling Eyes She was never described as a gorgeous beauty or sexy in the first two books but all of a sudden every men in America were mesmerized by her. But what I can never get over is the fact that they were both such horrible selfish parents to Anthony its no wonder why he was so messed up when he grew up! They were never there for him, neglecting him and relegating him to the care of Vicky all the time. Seen him more of an inconvenience and obstacle to their reunion rather than as a result of their love.

Actually, that Tatiana is 1. attractive and 2. very dedicated to being a nurse, is quite obviously set up in the first two books. Remember that she starts TBH just shy of 17 and spends the first half starving, so of course that's not super-sexy. But once she gets better she looks very good, she has that boy hanging over her in Lazarevo and when she finds Alexander at the end of Tatiana & Alexander he mentions how much curvier she is, which she attributes to being a mother and having access to good food. There are several men interested in her in book 2 - e.g. Edward, that jerk she dates, and the prison camp officer. Regarding her work as a nurse, she was very committed to it and took some huge risks in TBH, started working in Ellis Island within weeks of arriving, and was well-regarded there (when she joins the Red Cross, she's described as a chief nursing practitioner or something to that effect). If anything, her willingness to give up her work, both in the first part of TSG and after she gets pregnant with Pasha, is what rang false to me.

As for Alexander, he was always aggressive and he certainly wasn't beyond pushing Tania around to get his way in TBH, taking advantage of his size and strength; think of the fight scenes during the Lazarevo section, how he reacts when she returns to Leningrad, etc. I thought the cheating was going too far and that his being so violent with her was nauseating, especially with Anthony having to pull him off her. The book didn't need that and I don't think it was true to their relationship. But Alexander was always written as aggressive and violent, he just never turned it against Tania to the extent that he did in TSG.

As for their parenting of Anthony, they were two messed up people who didn't have great parental role models themselves. I doubt by the standards of the time in which the book is set they would have been considered bad parents, though, and Tatiana for the most part was a good mother to Anthony. Other than abandoning him for months to go looking for Alexander in book 2, of course - which is the only time he is cared for by Vikki, that is not something that happens in TSG.

BTW, a friend of mine read the first two books but didn't want to read TSG so I just recapped it for her. Her reaction to Alexander cheating: "he was bound to - what they felt under those circumstances couldn't be sustained, hence he was bound to stray... he is that type". So I guess some people could see it coming.
r00chick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
r00chick wrote:
Alexander turned into a major abusive jerk in TSG while Tatiana who was sweet and sensible in TBH turned into a super genius career woman that every man on earth salivates over! Rolling Eyes She was never described as a gorgeous beauty or sexy in the first two books but all of a sudden every men in America were mesmerized by her. But what I can never get over is the fact that they were both such horrible selfish parents to Anthony its no wonder why he was so messed up when he grew up! They were never there for him, neglecting him and relegating him to the care of Vicky all the time. Seen him more of an inconvenience and obstacle to their reunion rather than as a result of their love.

Actually, that Tatiana is 1. attractive and 2. very dedicated to being a nurse, is quite obviously set up in the first two books. Remember that she starts TBH just shy of 17 and spends the first half starving, so of course that's not super-sexy. But once she gets better she looks very good, she has that boy hanging over her in Lazarevo and when she finds Alexander at the end of Tatiana & Alexander he mentions how much curvier she is, which she attributes to being a mother and having access to good food. There are several men interested in her in book 2 - e.g. Edward, that jerk she dates, and the prison camp officer. Regarding her work as a nurse, she was very committed to it and took some huge risks in TBH, started working in Ellis Island within weeks of arriving, and was well-regarded there (when she joins the Red Cross, she's described as a chief nursing practitioner or something to that effect). If anything, her willingness to give up her work, both in the first part of TSG and after she gets pregnant with Pasha, is what rang false to me.

As for Alexander, he was always aggressive and he certainly wasn't beyond pushing Tania around to get his way in TBH, taking advantage of his size and strength; think of the fight scenes during the Lazarevo section, how he reacts when she returns to Leningrad, etc. I thought the cheating was going too far and that his being so violent with her was nauseating, especially with Anthony having to pull him off her. The book didn't need that and I don't think it was true to their relationship. But Alexander was always written as aggressive and violent, he just never turned it against Tania to the extent that he did in TSG.

As for their parenting of Anthony, they were two messed up people who didn't have great parental role models themselves. I doubt by the standards of the time in which the book is set they would have been considered bad parents, though, and Tatiana for the most part was a good mother to Anthony. Other than abandoning him for months to go looking for Alexander in book 2, of course - which is the only time he is cared for by Vikki, that is not something that happens in TSG.

BTW, a friend of mine read the first two books but didn't want to read TSG so I just recapped it for her. Her reaction to Alexander cheating: "he was bound to - what they felt under those circumstances couldn't be sustained, hence he was bound to stray... he is that type". So I guess some people could see it coming.

What bothered me was the fact they made it look like if they cannot have a other babies then they can never have a new life and they will forever live under the shadows and memories of what happened in Leningrad. Did any of their "American" children have issues like Anthony? No, if I remember correctly they all turned out to be some super duper nurse, scientist, doctors and what not and grew up pretty spoiled with Alexander doting on them, you know like he should with Anthony. Is this not punishing Anthony for something he had no control over? Why did he go to Vietnam in the first place, he wanted to show his dad he is worthy and he wanted to be like Alexander who was first and foremost a great solider. He looked up to his dad but he never felt like he was good enough, never gotten the kind of emotional connection and approval from him like his siblings had. He went to Vietnam to impress his dad, did their other kids have to do that? NOPE! What was ironic was the fact that they were so mean to each other and miserable parents to Anthony all because she couldn't get pregnant!

I also regret the fact that the couple Asian female characters that were featured were either crazy, evil or mentally unstabled as in the Vietnamese girl that tricked Anthony and the Indonesian girl that was his first wife. So guess who it took to heal him and complete his life, a young, beautiful and bubbly blonde haired blue eyed American. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: