AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AAR's Review of The Casual Vacancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucyBlueCastle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: AAR's Review of The Casual Vacancy Reply with quote

I was surprised to see AAR review this book - everything else I've heard about it suggests it's anything but a romance - but I'm so very glad you did. I've been very much on the fence about this one, mostly because of the reviews I've read elsewhere. I'm a huge fan of the Harry Potter series as a story and Rowling as a writer, but I'm a total wimp about kids-being-brutalized-to-prove-a-point stories. My reaction is almost always, 'yes, I get it; now remove those images from my brain, please.' Every other review I've read has focused on either the cluelessness of Potter-lovers who can't accept Rowling as an adult writer or the perversity of Rowling herself in writing a book where everybody's mean. Neither viewpoint ever seemed to get around to writing about the book as a story, separated from its writer and its role in the publishing universe.
Obviously this one does - hallelujah! I'm now pretty sure that 1)it's going to upset me; and 2)it's going to be totally worth it. So thanks very much!
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about JK as an adult author as well but I'm not sure I want to read a book where everyone is mean and life sucks. Harry Potter, while not perfect, was a unique series while books like Casual Vacancy are a dime a dozen.
MMcA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a total wimp about kids-being-brutalized-to-prove-a-point stories.

I'd usually feel the same way: last month - for the first time ever -I didn't finish my book club book, because of the way a child was being treated in the story. I just had to leave it; it was too upsetting. But for whatever reason, I had no problem reading this book despite the abuse that takes place.

As for the book, I found it a really slow starter - for the first half, everyone just seemed to wander round being unlikeable. (Except for the dead character - can't tell you how annoying it gets when the only nice person is dead.)
But I really enjoyed reading the second half, once things started to happen. And I agree with Blythe, the teenage characters were the saving grace of the book for me - I think she writes teenagers well.
blytheaar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks, Lucy.

Obviously, our site is mostly romance, and I read mostly romance. But I usually figure if I am interested in something, others might be as well. I'm glad you found the review helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: