AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you mentioned, one of the things I am coming to love about this series is the evolving of the characters. I think Eve probably, to this point, has done the most. For instance, in Betrayal..., the book I'm almost finished with, there's a part where Roarke has suggested to Eve that she "listen" to Peabody because there's been a separation with McNab due to a misconception with Charles. That entire dialogue between Eve and Peabody is so funny because Eve is trying to do the girl-relationship thing. It's backfiring at the same time that it's working. Roberts does this so well. I love that she's not perfect, and sometimes not even trying to be, but wants to do the right thing.

Oh, I've got so many more books to go and I am thrilled about it at this point. It took a turning point in the series for my outlook to be so positive, rather than only an uphill climb. Very Happy
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many of you mentioned, one of the things I am coming to love about this series is the evolving of the characters. I think Eve probably, to this point, has done the most. For instance, in Betrayal..., the book I'm almost finished with, there's a part where Roarke has suggested to Eve that she "listen" to Peabody because there's been a separation with McNab due to a misconception with Charles. That entire dialogue between Eve and Peabody is so funny because Eve is trying to do the girl-relationship thing. It's backfiring at the same time that it's working. Roberts does this so well. I love that she's not perfect, and sometimes not even trying to be, but wants to do the right thing.

Oh, I've got so many more books to go and I am thrilled about it at this point. It took a turning point in the series for my outlook to be so positive, rather than only an uphill climb. Very Happy
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are enjoying the series. It's the characters who keep me coming back. Mostly I enjoy the mysteries, too. But even if the mystery is a miss, each and every book has some great character scenes.

Which books are hits and which books are a miss depends on the reader.

When you and Dick are all done with the series, I wonder if you will reread any of the books. I've been reading the series since it started and used to reread every book in order before the next new one came out. I think I stopped that around the time the series went hardcover since there were so many. But I do try to reread at least the last book before the next new release. It's been a few years since I've done a complete series reread. But I often reread my favorites. I consider this series a comfort read which may seem odd given the horrific murders. But I love the characters.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

library addict wrote:
When you and Dick are all done with the series, I wonder if you will reread any of the books.

I know many of the people who post at AAR are re-readers; but as a rule, I am not. I have done occasional single book comfort re-reads, such as the very early issues of Garwood, Lowell, Quick, Krentz and S Brown's early stuff, but rarely, if ever, have I re-read suspense novels. No, I think once I've caught up, I'll probably just stay current.

On to Seduction...
dick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIke Tee, I rarely re-read unless there's something I want to check on or I get a book I've already read without knowing it and get so far into before I realize, it becomes pointless not to complete the re-read. But, I've already begun a leisurely re-read of the In Death series. I read it at such a breakneck pace the first time, that by the time I finished Delusions I had lost track of what was what and where and when.

I enjoyed the first read a great deal; so far I'm enjoying the re-read, perhaps a bit more than the first, for I'm paying more attention. I mentioned somewhere in a previous post that throughout the book, Eve is being "civilized." At the time, I intended the comment to be a bit "smart-assed," but on the re-read, I'm beginning to think the smart-assery wasn't so far off. In fact, it may be the contrast between her devotion to justice and "the job" and that lack of civiization that fascinates. It's not innocence; it's ignorance, almost contempt for civility in most of its forms. The development of her character parallels the knowledge she gains about the forms and customs of social intercourse.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
It's not innocence; it's ignorance, almost contempt for civility in most of its forms. The development of her character parallels the knowledge she gains about the forms and customs of social intercourse.

So true. She just doesn't have the social skills in the beginning and doesn't care because she doesn't really know she doesn't have them. But she gains these skills bit by bit, without giving up her authentic self and without actually realizing that she's into it. The ice-cream eating-listening scenario I quoted in a previous post with Peabody was a perfect example of this for me. She tried to be sympathetic by listening to Peabody, and it worked--sort of. In the end, she accomplished something, but she was still Eve. For an author, that can sometimes be difficult to do without redoing the entire character.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Tee, dick and others on this thread, my entire family is now systematically re-visiting the In Death stories, this time on audio rather than re-reading the books we've all been hooked on for years.

So what I wanna know is . . . should I send out thank you notes or ask for warning labels to be added to such dangerous threads?? Very Happy
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
So what I wanna know is . . . should I send out thank you notes or ask for warning labels to be added to such dangerous threads?? Very Happy

Money works. Very Happy It's been a good journey so far with this series for me. I have to admit there were more than a couple of people here who helped give me that second wind to continue on--too many to mention, really. Actually, the entire thread contained posts from people who enjoyed the series and each one had helpful hints regarding it. There were also a few who began it simultaneously with me and they were great encouragers as they moved along and I stagnated for a while. Finishing up Seduction... and then it's on to Reunion... and three more waiting at the library. However, Sandra Brown's Low Pressure is also in, so there will be a short reading hiatus with the series.
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Money works. Very Happy ...Actually, the entire thread contained posts from people who enjoyed the series and each one had helpful hints regarding it.....

Yes, I entirely agree about the contributions all of the others made and boy, oh, boy, am I glad I offered thanks and not money! Very Happy
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
One thing about the style in the series bugs me: Often Robb carries a segment of dialogue over into the next paragraph, unnecessarily in my thinking, the only signal being the absence of quotation marks at the end of the prior paragraph. The only reason for it I can see is to break up the length of paragraphs and avoid the "she said" signals; it's not a bad idea except that I miss the omission often, forcing me to glance back a lot.

I was going over this thread this morning, making sure, now that I'm well into the series, not to have missed some good points people have been kind enough to point out along the way. I came across this one, dick, and something jogged my mind that this is a correct style that we were taught. I looked it up and here's the "rule."

RUNNING QUOTATIONS: If a full paragraph of quoted material is followed by a paragraph that continues the quotation, do not put close-quote marks at the end of the first paragraph. Do, however, put open-quote marks at the start of the second paragraph. Continue in this fashion for any succeeding paragraphs, using close-quote marks only at the end of the quoted material. —The Associated Press Stylebook—

BTW, in rereading this thread, I did pick up many suggestions and thoughts and thanks to all of you for your input. I'm moving briskly along, I think. I'm just a chapter into Portrait... and have the next four on reserve. I'm enjoying this series with an exuberance I never thought I'd have for it.
dick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tee: I knew the rule. But, I think in some instances, sticking in a "she said" marker would make it easier on the reader, especially one with ancient eyes.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
@Tee: I knew the rule. But, I think in some instances, sticking in a "she said" marker would make it easier on the reader, especially one with ancient eyes.

Oh, okay, I get it, because I've encountered much the same thing here and in other books. So the rule's correct, it's just how the author plays with it. And I agree that anything that promotes the eyes to continue on without artificially stopping, would be a good idea.

Along similar lines, because of all the dialogue in these books, reading from paragraph to paragraph (which, in some cases, is only one sentence), frequently I have to go back to the beginning of the conversation to see who's saying what. I get lost if the dialogue moves on without a "she/he said" inserted occasionally.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that in addition to the rules, the flow of dialogue, how it's broken up in paragraphs, enhances or slows down the reading experience. I've had the same Robb experience as both of you.

FYI, just a picky point but the AP Style Guide is used primarily for newspapers and magazines, while book publishers tend to use The Chicago Manual of Style although in this instance about quotations marks the rule is the same for both guides.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BTW, in rereading this thread, I did pick up many suggestions and thoughts and thanks to all of you for your input. I'm moving briskly along, I think. I'm just a chapter into Portrait... and have the next four on reserve. I'm enjoying this series with an exuberance I never thought I'd have for it.

Although I've really enjoyed so many in this series, Portrait is my favourite of them all, I think, because we see Roarke so discombobulated and less than perfect, and wonder of wonders, sharp with Eve, a state very rare for him. And in a change of pace, it's Eve who has to be the nurturing one. I'd love your thoughts on this installment when you're done.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:
Although I've really enjoyed so many in this series, Portrait is my favourite of them all, I think, because we see Roarke so discombobulated and less than perfect, and wonder of wonders, sharp with Eve, a state very rare for him. And in a change of pace, it's Eve who has to be the nurturing one. I'd love your thoughts on this installment when you're done.

I'll do my best to remember to get back with you with my reaction to Portrait..., Kristie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: