AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fifty shades new discussion (6th FSOG thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
It was alot of little things about FS. I got it on Twitter. Did you get the one I posted about "Mr. Invisible" or "The Invisible man"? I haven't read it yet but I think it's a story with the man's perception. Have you seen this one with Matt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=binKIMK-55Q&feature=share

No I hadn't seen that one, he is such a hottie! Perfect song to go along with it too.

Xina - that was a good little interview! I agree with this statement about there being a misconception over the age group of who reads these books because the media keeps harping on them being for middle age women but when I think of the college kids reading them as well as the elderly ladies in my book club I know that's false.

Quote:
There's a misconception that the fan base is all middle-aged women. I see college students and grandmothers, too. And another weird thing is, I have bondage-club owners come to signings and tell me more curious people are showing up because of the books.

Linda
kmredd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to make anyone jealous but I live just an hour from here Razz

http://twitter.yfrog.com/gyx5pjxwj
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmredd wrote:
I don't mean to make anyone jealous but I live just an hour from here Razz

http://twitter.yfrog.com/gyx5pjxwj

No fair! Lol

I read a couple books yesterday that are such obvious Fifty ripoffs and not nearly as well written. Titled Honor Student and then from the hero POV Honor Thy Teacher. They were not that good and yet I had to keep going to at least see what happened - silly!

I'm starting The Siren now and am just on page 33, can't say I like Nora or Zach much so far. Maybe the character of Soren will interest me, the reviews seem to highlight him as an interesting character.

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Please just give it some time. page 33 is very early (not that I remember what is happening at that point) but it took a while to get my feet under me and see what was going on, but then it all falls into place, or it did for me. I hope you stay with it and find a cast of characters you become emotionally involved with and find hard to let go of. KEEP ME UPDATED.

Very Happy
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Very Happy

Please just give it some time. page 33 is very early (not that I remember what is happening at that point) but it took a while to get my feet under me and see what was going on, but then it all falls into place, or it did for me. I hope you stay with it and find a cast of characters you become emotionally involved with and find hard to let go of. KEEP ME UPDATED.

Still going, they're growing on me! I think my issue with Nora was that everything that comes out of her mouth is sexual innuendo, I want to see more of a genuine person behind it all, enough with the constant steam of sexual reference. Seeing how she cared about Wes when he went into the diabetic shock helped to see the person behind the caricature, I'm hoping for more of that. He's too young for her to be sexually involved with though, although barely legal when he moved in with her at 18, she's 33 now I think and he's just 19, that aspect is a bit uncomfortable. I hope the author leaves them at friendship.

The S & M scenes are pretty brutal, it's hard for me to connect with inflicting such beatings on someone as erotica, even consentual, but I'm not judging.

It's definitely a different kind of book than I'm used to reading but as I go along I am becoming more intrigued. Very Happy

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Still going, they're growing on me! I think my issue with Nora was that everything that comes out of her mouth is sexual innuendo, I want to see more of a genuine person behind it all, enough with the constant steam of sexual reference. Seeing how she cared about Wes when he went into the diabetic shock helped to see the person behind the caricature, I'm hoping for more of that. He's too young for her to be sexually involved with though, although barely legal when he moved in with her at 18, she's 33 now I think and he's just 19, that aspect is a bit uncomfortable. I hope the author leaves them at friendship.

The S & M scenes are pretty brutal, it's hard for me to connect with inflicting such beatings on someone as erotica, even consentual, but I'm not judging.

It's definitely a different kind of book than I'm used to reading but as I go along I am becoming more intrigued. Very Happy

Linda[/quote]

I think that is one of the aspects that I loved that it was SUCH a different kind of book. I think the constant sexual innuendo from Nora is part her and part her living up to her "rep". I think the only people she is herself with are Soren and (what's his name, just jumped out of my mind) and maybe somewhat with Wes.

I agree those scenes that Nora types are heavy and not easy to read, but like I have said I have read just as difficult in Murder stories. There will be a scene later that will cause you discomfort but I think after you spend time thinking about it you will maybe (maybe not) feel better about it or except it.

Glad to see the smily, I do feel like I pushed you to read it and I am so hopeful that you are glad you did when you finish the ride. (which should include the free stuff on her website)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy, I'm almost done with this book. I'm not sure how I feel about it, the writing is good but the content is extremely disturbing. i'm going to respond to it in it's own thread but don't be mad at me, ok? Shocked Sad

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Judy, I'm almost done with this book. I'm not sure how I feel about it, the writing is good but the content is extremely disturbing. i'm going to respond to it in it's own thread but don't be mad at me, ok? Shocked Sad

Linda

No I wouldn't get mad and we agree about her writing. I think Tiffany Reisz is a great writer, but yes the story, the characters are challenging.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Xina - that was a good little interview! I agree with this statement about there being a misconception over the age group of who reads these books because the media keeps harping on them being for middle age women but when I think of the college kids reading them as well as the elderly ladies in my book club I know that's false.

Quote:
There's a misconception that the fan base is all middle-aged women. I see college students and grandmothers, too. And another weird thing is, I have bondage-club owners come to signings and tell me more curious people are showing up because of the books.

Linda

Yes, I agree. The age range appears to be between 18 and 80! Hardly just middle-aged women. Another point in that interview that I found interesting was the statement she made about envy. I've not heard her mention that before, but I totally agree with it. So obvious.

p.s....got the DVD just now and will be watching the Katie interview! ~thank-you!
xina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecooper/2012/09/25/fifty-shades-arouses-more-than-book-sales/

Interesting article in Forbes.....
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecooper/2012/09/25/fifty-shades-arouses-more-than-book-sales/

Interesting article in Forbes.....

Xina, pretty wild isn't it, kinky is the new vanilla! Twisted Evil It's kinda scary to me to think of all these whips and floggers out there in inexperienced hands, eeep! I wonder if people are really using them or just buying them for props? Scratch that..I don't want to know. Laughing

Linda
JoySmith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: what to read after fifty shades of grey Reply with quote

Still getting over fifty shades of grey, but lately I've been hooked on Kenyon's Dark Hunter series and Emma Rose's His Every Desire series. Something about those billionaires... Smile
Lea AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're almost to that magic number of 225 posts which means it's time to start a new thread to allow all our readers easy access of this discussion. If you do start another FSOG thread, please indicate in the title that it is the 7th thread.

Also, a reminder - the purpose of the thread on the Let's Talk forum is to talk about the actual book which includes comparisons to similar works. Talk of a movie or possible actors, interviews - anything that is general promotion of FSOG should be posted on the FSOG thread found at our General Chat forum (and that one is almost full as well!).

If a new thread is not started, 'll lock this thread to further comments at 225 posts

Thanks!

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: