AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Juliana Gray's debut A LADY NEVER LIES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trish B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Juliana Gray's debut A LADY NEVER LIES Reply with quote

Has anyone else read this debut and first in her new series?

Affairs by Moonlight: Three English ladies on a holiday escape. Three dashing bachelors competing in a wager to remain chaste. Three scandalous affairs in an enchanted castle. One wildly romantic new series from a brand-new voice in historical fiction...

I am almost done reading A Lady Never Lies and I am really enjoying it. It's set in 1890 Tuscany and each book will tell the story of the building romances of the three couples who are leasing an Italian castle for one year. The book is well written, it's witty with great dialogue and the love scenes are very sensual. It's on a level with Sherry Thomas or Meredith Duran, but with a lighter tone - not so angsty.

In ALNL the hero is a self-made man, a scientist and inventor. He's no lothario and I found that refreshing (though he's no nerd either). He's in Italy putting the final touches on his horseless carriage which he will enter into a race in Rome later in the year. The heroine is a widowed marchioness spending a year abroad for reasons of her own. They are a lovely couple and I enjoyed watching them fall for each other.

The two subsequent books will be about their two friends/relatives who have also embarked on this year in Italy for various other reasons and I look forward to reading their stories (tidbits of which we see in ALNL) when they come out. Along with Cecilia Grant, Juliana Gray is one of the most promising new authors I've come across this year!
LeeB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read it and liked it a lot. Definitely enjoyed the setting in Italy.
Danielle D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know about this book -- I have to put it on my To Buy List.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure
Eggletina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting. I haven't read it, but the setting and multiple couples reminds me of Enchanted April. Wonder if that book inspired the author or whether that's pure coincidence?
Trish B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggletina wrote:
Looks interesting. I haven't read it, but the setting and multiple couples reminds me of Enchanted April. Wonder if that book inspired the author or whether that's pure coincidence?

Actually, I think she's more inspired by Shakespeare's Love's Labours' Lost, but set in 1890 Tuscany, than anything else. For some the set-up of the three gentleman and three ladies winding up in the same castle may seem forced or silly, but I enjoyed it. And though I haven't finished the book yet, there also seems to be a curse or something in play as well so, again, for some that might not be their cuppa.

For me, I liked the style and tone of the book and will try the other books in the trilogy.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this utterly charming, sophisticated, and sensual. Definitely one of the best historical romances I've read in years. After reading ALNL, I wanted books 2 and 3 immediately, but now I'm glad the books are spaced out because sometimes, a very strong writing voice can overwhelm the story if I glom on the author.
kari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is on my tbr pile but I haven't gotten there yet! Hopefully in the next week.

If you loved this book you should pick up Overseas by Beatriz Williams - the author's actual debut. According to a friend who knows her, when she was offered the contract for Overseas it included writing a romance trilogy, though Overseas was published as historical fiction and got a very nice review grade of B on this site. I believe that others who have read Overseas would argue that it's also a romance. For mysterious reasons known only to publishers, the "real" romances had to be published under an alias with a more romance-friendly author's name. (Or maybe this was the author's idea - not too sure about that point!) Apparently the author is very interested in the 20th century, particularly the period between the two World Wars.

Beatriz Williams' next historical novel will be about the Great New England Hurricane of 1938 - and I suspect it will also feature a romance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: