AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones - AMAZING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started Dangerous Secrets (tall, dark, and deadly) by Lisa whatever her name is (it just left my mind, god it must be old age hitting me hard) it appears I am 40% into the book, and I am not sure what I think. It isn't a great story, but it isn't bad. I think this must be the 2nd in a series but I didn't bother to look up on her site to see but there is a lot about her best friends wedding like we should know about her friend that is getting married and the groom is the brother to the H. Not blow away, but not crazy about it either, it is just ok at this point. I think it might of been the free book Linda posted about so I am not disappointed in the "purchase" Razz Razz
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerstin wrote:
NowI think they were once friends. Something went wrong in the club and then it all went downhill IMO. I even thought they might have had an affair because Chris at one point says "I f_ck and get f-cked" so that might indicate bisexuality. Well, at least that would be the case if it were a French novel...

Yeah I caught that, I think it meant that he's bisexual, I took it pretty literal. I do wonder if he has had a sexual encounter with Mark.

Quote:

The creepy guy from the storage room at the beginning-the way he was introduced he must play a huge role.

Now this is something I didn't consider!

Kerstin, really enjoyed your thoughts, thanks for posting! It's nice to get some questions set up like this from the author for a discussion.

Oh and in that interview I read with her it said that she got the journal idea because she and her husband used to buy and sell those storage units and they had come across one before. Interesting! Also funny that we all say we would read it, lol

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Just started Dangerous Secrets (tall, dark, and deadly) by Lisa whatever her name is (it just left my mind, god it must be old age hitting me hard) it appears I am 40% into the book, and I am not sure what I think. It isn't a great story, but it isn't bad. I think this must be the 2nd in a series but I didn't bother to look up on her site to see but there is a lot about her best friends wedding like we should know about her friend that is getting married and the groom is the brother to the H. Not blow away, but not crazy about it either, it is just ok at this point. I think it might of been the free book Linda posted about so I am not disappointed in the "purchase" Razz Razz

Yeah I'm having trouble getting through this one as well, just kind of ho hum. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it either.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Kerstin wrote:
NowI think they were once friends. Something went wrong in the club and then it all went downhill IMO. I even thought they might have had an affair because Chris at one point says "I f_ck and get f-cked" so that might indicate bisexuality. Well, at least that would be the case if it were a French novel...

Yeah I caught that, I think it meant that he's bisexual, I took it pretty literal. I do wonder if he has had a sexual encounter with Mark.

Quote:

The creepy guy from the storage room at the beginning-the way he was introduced he must play a huge role.

Now this is something I didn't consider!

Kerstin, really enjoyed your thoughts, thanks for posting! It's nice to get some questions set up like this from the author for a discussion.

Oh and in that interview I read with her it said that she got the journal idea because she and her husband used to buy and sell those storage units and they had come across one before. Interesting! Also funny that we all say we would read it, lol

Linda

I agree about Mark and Chris...that they had a sexual encounter. If not that, at least they shared women.

About the creepy guy from the storage unit. I kept waiting for him to reappear, but he didn't. He's got to show up in the next book. Is it too easy to assume that he is the one who locked her in and the end of book 1?

Really interesting about how she got the journal idea. I've often wondered why someone would want to buy one of those. Looking for treasure I guess. A journal would be fun to find.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
[About the creepy guy from the storage unit. I kept waiting for him to reappear, but he didn't. He's got to show up in the next book. Is it too easy to assume that he is the one who locked her in and the end of book 1?

I wonder...who else could it be? Rebecca? Mark, Chris?? Hmmm!

I love the mystery in this story!

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa is blogging about the auction unit she and her husband bought that had the journal that gave the inspiration for the book! Very interesting.

http://community.aetv.com/_My-greatest-Storage-Unit-find-and-how-I-got-started-buying-and-selling-storage-units/blog/6350705/119137.html

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still reading that free book of Lisa's "Dangerous Secrets" and I think it has been 3 or 4 days since I started it, which means it isn't that great. When a story is great, terrific, interesting, compelling, different, or any other interesting adjective, I usually can't put it down or if I have to then i am always counting the minutes until I can pick it back up. Which is how I felt about "If I Were You" and I hope the rest of the story is the same. Sadly this free story is just alright and I am happy when I am reading it but I don't miss it when I am not. Crying or Very sad
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
I am still reading that free book of Lisa's "Dangerous Secrets" and I think it has been 3 or 4 days since I started it, which means it isn't that great. When a story is great, terrific, interesting, compelling, different, or any other interesting adjective, I usually can't put it down or if I have to then i am always counting the minutes until I can pick it back up. Which is how I felt about "If I Were You" and I hope the rest of the story is the same. Sadly this free story is just alright and I am happy when I am reading it but I don't miss it when I am not. Crying or Very sad

I agree, actually I gave up and deleted it off my Nook. Next I tried to read the other free one she offered, Wicked Werewolf Nights but couldn't get into that either.

I think this author may be a one hit series for me because the rest has been dull, imho.

I will just anxiously await the next book in the series!

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Judyblueeyes wrote:

I agree, actually I gave up and deleted it off my Nook. Next I tried to read the other free one she offered, Wicked Werewolf Nights but couldn't get into that either.

I think this author may be a one hit series for me because the rest has been dull, imho.

I will just anxiously await the next book in the series!

Linda

Laughing Laughing I am just laughing, you and I agree on some stuff and are totally in step (except The Siren) I haven't deleted the book yet, but I am hanging out on here and facebook instead of reading which says it all. I am looking for my next book too. I am out of town for part of the week and need to find something to read.

i am wondering if her writing has maybe taken a turn for the better. Like maybe she turned a corner with this new book and it is just her "older" stuff we aren't going to be interested in. Here is hoping anyway, because if the rest of "If I Were You" series turns into a yawn feast I will cry big sad tears.
Crying or Very sad
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just finished the free kindle eBook...Dangerous Secrets and I am really really worried! Is it wrong to use prayer to ask for Lisa Renee Jones to become a better more talented author before the rest of "If I Were You" comes out? I am willing to pray every morning, noon and night if we all think it is alright.

Words are not my thing, so the fact that she writes books is great, but the story of Dangerous Secrets was pretty close to a waste of my time. It was so basic, and just as the drama was starting she wrapped it all up in just a few pages, like it was a 3rd graders reading level. It was all so transparent and I am praying for more when it comes to the next two books of "If I Were You". I have to say she so surpased the writing I just finished reading so there is hope, but what if she gets lazy or tired or just doesn't know how to write the suspense/drama.

I am really really really worried
. Crying or Very sad
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
Wow, I just finished the free kindle eBook...Dangerous Secrets and I am really really worried! Is it wrong to use prayer to ask for Lisa Renee Jones to become a better more talented author before the rest of "If I Were You" comes out? I am willing to pray every morning, noon and night if we all think it is alright.

Words are not my thing, so the fact that she writes books is great, but the story of Dangerous Secrets was pretty close to a waste of my time. It was so basic, and just as the drama was starting she wrapped it all up in just a few pages, like it was a 3rd graders reading level. It was all so transparent and I am praying for more when it comes to the next two books of "If I Were You". I have to say she so surpased the writing I just finished reading so there is hope, but what if she gets lazy or tired or just doesn't know how to write the suspense/drama.

I am really really really worried
. Crying or Very sad

Awww, you're really worried? I'm excited! I think her other books have read more formulatic and that's why they haven't worked for me. Lately I need *special* to grab my attention and the regular mainstream romance just doesn't seem to grab it. If I Were You was so awesome, I just can't believe the next one will be anything but.

So how are you coming with The Angel? You know I'm waiting to hear what you have to say about it. Very Happy

Linda
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Awww, you're really worried? I'm excited! I think her other books have read more formulatic and that's why they haven't worked for me. Lately I need *special* to grab my attention and the regular mainstream romance just doesn't seem to grab it. If I Were You was so awesome, I just can't believe the next one will be anything but.

So how are you coming with The Angel? You know I'm waiting to hear what you have to say about it. Very Happy

Linda

I am really worried. I think it might be some kind of lighting strike that she wrote "if i were you" so well. And I just can't imagine the lighting striking 2 more times. I didn't want to put If I were You" down, but Dangerous Secrets I couldn't seem to get the energy to pick up. They were nice characters and I liked them the story just was nothing, she so missed the boat, with a good idea and good characters. so sad..

Husband has business dinner tonight so I am walking across to get some take out and bring it back to room and am going to start The Angel. I bought it this afternoon on Kobo for something like $7.49 like a buck cheaper than Amazon. You know I will let you know how it goes and of-course comment further on The Siren. I still have thoughts on it to share.
Rolling Eyes
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

[color=indigo]I am really worried. I think it might be some kind of lighting strike that she wrote "if i were you" so well. And I just can't imagine the lighting striking 2 more times. I didn't want to put If I were You" down, but Dangerous Secrets I couldn't seem to get the energy to pick up. They were nice characters and I liked them the story just was nothing, she so missed the boat, with a good idea and good characters. so sad..

:

Judy, Is Dangerous Secrets written in first person POV, like If I Were You is? I find that sometimes that can change an author's voice...good or bad. Anyway, I haven't read anything else by this author, but I'm hoping for a decent 2nd book in this series. At least I want to know what happens to the heroine after that cliffhanger in the 1st book. And too, I often find when I read a series of books, that I enjoy some more than others. Here's hoping the next one will be as good or better than the 1st.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Judy, Is Dangerous Secrets written in first person POV, like If I Were You is? I find that sometimes that can change an author's voice...good or bad. Anyway, I haven't read anything else by this author, but I'm hoping for a decent 2nd book in this series. At least I want to know what happens to the heroine after that cliffhanger in the 1st book. And too, I often find when I read a series of books, that I enjoy some more than others. Here's hoping the next one will be as good or better than the 1st.

Funny, I really had to think, was it???? Which lead me to think NO I don't think it was written in first person POV. Most of the story she forgot to write. I am telling you the end and the killing of the 2nd tier bad guy didn't even happen on the page but one of the brothers came down the stairs into the subway and said to the other brother they had killed him outside in the street or something like that. And the really big bad guy and his big bad brother, nothing.. other than they disappeared or something, but they were the dangerous drug cartel selling tainted drugs on the streets of New York killing teens. But oh well story is over danger gone, lets get married I love you. Makes me crazy. Just write for another week and make it a good story.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

Funny, I really had to think, was it???? Which lead me to think NO I don't think it was written in first person POV. Most of the story she forgot to write. I am telling you the end and the killing of the 2nd tier bad guy didn't even happen on the page but one of the brothers came down the stairs into the subway and said to the other brother they had killed him outside in the street or something like that. And the really big bad guy and his big bad brother, nothing.. other than they disappeared or something, but they were the dangerous drug cartel selling tainted drugs on the streets of New York killing teens. But oh well story is over danger gone, lets get married I love you. Makes me crazy. Just write for another week and make it a good story.

Well, sometimes an author can have a great knock-out book, and a slew of bloopers, so I'm not worried about the next one. Also, I'm a pretty big fan of first person delivery and I always have been.
I've not read anything else by this author. Pretty sure I won't be reading the one you read Judy. It sounds painful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: