AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gone Girl - SPOILERS -LOTS OF SPOILERS - CLICK WITH CAUTION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly expected more twists from the book. Since I doubted Nick was the killer (too easy) I suspected Amy was lying. I guess I've seen/read too many movies/books with an unreliable narrator (think Fight Club). Also, it reminded me a lot of The War of the Roses so I expected a more explosive ending.

However, the writing was good and the questions it raised I think should be familiar to everyone who's ever been in a relationship.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I didn't read reviews or anything, I figured both would be unreliable narrators, and "Good Amy's" diary actually revealed her lies, IMO--her rant about the "Cool Girl" and her pretending to be that cool girl, as well as how her POV made her come across as someone who wanted reality to be the way she wanted it to be. So I was suspicious of her from the half-way mark. I really hated that Nick had a secret mistress--really boring plot twist--but I pretty much considered both of them twisted and narcissistic. But I did love it for being a crazy roller coaster and that ENDING! So Hitchcock.
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't insult Hitchcock Laughing
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Jessi wrote:

I'd love to hear why you disliked it so much - I love getting a different perspective!

It definitely made me sick to my stomach, but I was very entertained.

Hi, Jessi. Most of my dislike is that it just wasn't believable. I never for one moment believed that Nick killed Amy...funny that the book was called Gone Girl...not Dead Girl. The science of today would discredit much of the 'evidence' Amy created, IMO. I do think that it would make a good dark comedy, if the movie does get made.

I agree about the details. What about Desi's alibi, for example? Or Amy aka The Great Planner, couldn't do a better job at hiding her stash of cash. Rolling Eyes

I think if the author went for more of a dark comedy (as in The Wars of the Roses) feel it would be a perfect book because details wouldn't have mattered as much.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grade: B

Now I remember why I don't read mysteries (or "psychological thrillers," or whatever). Really not my cup of tea.

GG took me a whole week to read. I think part of it was because I did not care about either of the principal characters. I disliked them both, actually, and apparently I need to care about at least one character in a novel to be motivated to keep reading...

First part of GG was pretty good. Fell apart for me toward the end, or rather, starting when Amy, who had planned everything so meticulously, threw caution to the wind and got involved with her Ozark neighbors and even let her money be seen. I have a hard time believing she'd have let those things happen.

Also, unlike most of the posters here, I found the ending to be a cop-out and a big let-down. Also, the part about Nick never being happy with a "regular" woman after having been with Amy. Really? I guess I didn't quite buy that Nick could feel that way. And the whole idea that these two dysfunctional people, while antagonizing each other, also made each other be "better" (as in "step up to the plate") in some bizarre way? Um, okay...

To give credit where it is due, Flynn's writing (exact story notwithstanding) is excellent. Her insight into an "Amy"-type personality, and her way of choosing and then voicing both of the main character's thoughts, was amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: