AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has reading Romance changed your life?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Has reading Romance changed your life? Reply with quote

I was just posting on a different thread and it made me think I would love to hear others thoughts on what affect reading (romance or otherwise) has on your life.

here is what I posted:

I have been on a "novel vacation" (really a romance novel vacation, but that gets a little wordy and I have read some non-romance) for almost a year now. I read 2 or 3 books a week and watch much less tv and do many less household chores.

But here is what I have discovered, I drink far less adult beverages than all my favorite Heroines. And the effect they are having on me is making me thirsty. Razz

I am already starting to plan "Novel Vacation Year II" and it might include heavy drinking which might mean Year III or IV will have to be Novel Vacation the Rehab Year. Shocked

But the less smarty answer would also be, I am more realized, less stressed, it has slowed me down and left me with HEA (happily every after) shinning in my eyes. Good stories leaving me hopeful and happy and my soul feed with love. Laughing sabby answer actually, but you get the idea.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I would go so far as to say that romance has changed my life, but it has sure brought me a great deal of pleasure. Despite what some critics have to say, there are many wonderful writers in the romance genre who are telling some great stories w/interesting characters. Life can be hard and stressful. A romance gives me an escape that will always bring me an HEA; it might be a struggle to get there sometimes, but I know it will always be there in the end.
CG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know that they "changed my life", but they certainly helped me through an extremely difficult time in my life. Sometimes when it feels like there's very little hope in real life these books can provide something positive and uplifting. A kind of surrogate hope, perhaps?
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe "changed your life" wasn't the right term????!!! I guess you both got what I meant. So this could be does romance have an effect on your life.

For me yes, it is a happy escape into something that doesn't cause me any stress or worry. Like watching a good movie, but so much better because it is a longer escape.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started reading romance, it did change my reading life. I had pretty much stayed away from romance, believing it was all crap. Finally gave in and read a few books, and was hooked. From then on, I had so many options, so many authors to choose from.
Judyblueeyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized on friday I had a new answer for my own board question.

I think I dress nicer since I started my novel vacation. I am not sure when in the last year it happened but it has. I have made a point of not just wearing my jeans but have switched to more skirts. I have been painting my toe nails. I have thrown away all my ratty t-shirts no matter how much I loved them or the memories attached.
RadFanBoy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it has changed my life in several ways.

I've never had any kind of romantic relationship myself, so in some ways it satisfies my curiosity about relationships and about women (while giving me unrealistic but very pleasant ideas on love.)

On the subject of women: before romance novels my preferences/fantasies were quite narrow because I had learned to appreciate women mostly for their physique because anytime movies/games/music-videos try to appeal to men with women they do it with their good looks. In romance novels you cannot look at the heroine (unless she's on the cover.) So I can't even tell you how much this has changed me in that regard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: