AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read July - October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

I'm only about a third of the way through this book, but already I am totally hooked. It's the story of Kirby, an 18-year-old girl who finds her birth mother Marian in New York. Marian is only 37 years old and is a successful TV producer in love with her boss. Kirby shows up one night at her apartment and then the story takes off. I have no idea how the rest of it will play out, nor do I have any clue as to the ending; but to this point, I am engrossed. I'll definitely get back here to give my final thoughts about it once I'm finished. Anyone else read it?
xina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

I'm only about a third of the way through this book, but already I am totally hooked. It's the story of Kirby, an 18-year-old girl who finds her birth mother Marian in New York. Marian is only 37 years old and is a successful TV producer in love with her boss. Kirby shows up one night at her apartment and then the story takes off. I have no idea how the rest of it will play out, nor do I have any clue as to the ending; but to this point, I am engrossed. I'll definitely get back here to give my final thoughts about it once I'm finished. Anyone else read it?

I haven't yet Tee, but I have the book ready to go. I love Giffin. Recently, I watched an interview with her on THe Today Show and she was talking about this book.
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Re: Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
I haven't yet Tee, but I have the book ready to go. I love Giffin. Recently, I watched an interview with her on THe Today Show and she was talking about this book.

Well, I finished the book and it was excellent. Emily Giffin did a great job with the characters and I didn't want to put it down. Her writing flowed smoothly and the story itself was very interesting. My heart went out to Marian and Conrad, the birth parents and the adoptive parents. Kirby was delightful. Giffin had the right amount of humor to diffuse a heavy situation. I'm so ready for another one from her.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Caroline Linden's final book in her "The Truth About the Duke" series, The Way To a Duke's Heart. Although this is the 3rd in a series, it can definitely be read as a stand-alone; the Duke's 2 brothers make only minor appearances in this book and the backstory is filled in sufficinetly to understand the Durham Dilemma, as it is called in the book.

I enjoyed the book and felt the resolution of the mystery was satisfactory. The motivation for the blackmail of the old Duke kind of came out of the blue and this put that whole plot in a completely different light. Perhaps I missed a clue early on as I tend to read rather quickly, but I didn't see it coming.

I really liked both Tessa and Charlie. Their relationship developed quickly but didn't seem rushed to me. They connected on many levels and I could believe that they really did fall in love that quickly. They communicated well and were honest with each other about their pasts. There was self-reflection from both Tessa and Charlie which helped show their growth as people.

Grade: B
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inn at Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber

Debbie Macomber is probably one of the most consistent authors around for women's fiction. I know that when I open one of her books, I won't be disappointed. Of course, that isn't always the case, but it's true 95% of the time and that's good enough for me.

This is a new series she's beginning and it involves a bed and breakfast and the stories of some of the people who go there. Jo Marie Rose owns it, following the loss of her husband a short time ago while serving in the military. This book was excellent, going into the lives of two different people of Cedar Cove. I cannot wait until the next book is issued. She had a successful run with a series that ran 10 or 11 years and I still wasn't bored with it. Good luck, Ms Macomber, on this next endeavor of yours.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonshell Beach by JoAnn Ross

I've been following this Shelter Bay series of Ross' from the beginning and have really enjoyed all the stories--that is, to this point. I felt the story of JT and the actress Mary Joyce was not very character driven as most of her novels can be. All was superficial and I did not feel a connection between them. Lots of books out there that have recently been recommended on a couple of different threads and I didn't want to waste my time finishing this one while maybe another good story is out there with my name on it.

This one became a DNF. Too bad because Ross knows how to deliver, just not this time, to me.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
Re: Where We Belong by Emily Giffin

Well, I finished the book and it was excellent. Emily Giffin did a great job with the characters and I didn't want to put it down. Her writing flowed smoothly and the story itself was very interesting. My heart went out to Marian and Conrad, the birth parents and the adoptive parents. Kirby was delightful. Giffin had the right amount of humor to diffuse a heavy situation. I'm so ready for another one from her.

I really liked it too.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Moonshell Beach by JoAnn Ross

I've been following this Shelter Bay series of Ross' from the beginning and have really enjoyed all the stories--that is, to this point. I felt the story of JT and the actress Mary Joyce was not very character driven as most of her novels can be. All was superficial and I did not feel a connection between them. Lots of books out there that have recently been recommended on a couple of different threads and I didn't want to waste my time finishing this one while maybe another good story is out there with my name on it.

This one became a DNF. Too bad because Ross knows how to deliver, just not this time, to me.

I haven't loved any of them. I think I am going to take a break from her for a while. I did give it a B- but you know I think it was because for the first time a hero appealed to me.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Lady By Midnight by Tessa Dare
Grade: B-

This is the latest installment in the Spindle Cove series which has been kind of a mixed bag for me. Wasn't overly thrilled with the 1st book, loved the 2nd and the novella, and would put this one in between. I enjoyed the Gramercys but became a bit put off by some of Evan's actions later in the story. And while I could understand that Thorne's life could put him "beyond the pale" as a match for a lady, he carried it a bit too far IMHO. It was obvious that he had reformed and was now considered an upstanding member of society with friends in the ton. Maybe in reality this agrument would make his match with Katie impossible, but this is Romancelandia, after all! Although this series has not been my favorite, I still appreciate Dare's fine writing and will continue to read her books.
Rosie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:
And while I could understand that Thorne's life could put him "beyond the pale" as a match for a lady, he carried it a bit too far IMHO. It was obvious that he had reformed and was now considered an upstanding member of society with friends in the ton. Maybe in reality this agrument would make his match with Katie impossible, but this is Romancelandia, after all!

I agree. Especially considering how open-minded and accepting the family was of the sister's lesbian relationship with the former companion. Sure, it was a family secret, but "Harry" didn't seem like a very discreet young lady -- at all. If anything was gonna ruin the family's standing in society and the youngest sister's marriage chances, I would think that would've been it.

That being said, I really liked this book. I love it when the hero is the one with unrequited love and the heroine is oblivious to the fact that he's wanted her all along.

I agree that the first book is the weakest so far, but it had its moments.
Colin and Minerva's book is still my favorite of the series -- and probably my favorite historical this year!
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my 3rd book by new-to-me (historical romance) author Grace Burrowes. I've read Soldier and Virtuoso, and right now I'm reading Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal. (I like the shorter titles better!)

Good writing, good emotion. (I even got teary last night reading one particular scene, and that NEVER happens to me with books.) No real historical substance, so they're very wallpaper, with characters who don't seem very authentic to the times. But nevertheless, I've enjoyed the books I've read. The characters are engaging (even if the pairings are a bit hard to believe).

(Sounds like I'm damning by faint praise. I don't mean to. These are the first historical romances I've bought and read in ages, and I'm enjoying them. For me, that's really saying something!)
stl_reader

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tessa Dare's A Lady by Midnight
B-, bordering on a C+

**Minor spoilers**

Gotta agree with Tinabelle and Dabney on this one.

For all its implausible quirks, I loved A Week to Be Wicked. But ALbM was a little too contrived, too unbelievable, and too contemporary-feeling for me. At times I felt like a cast of 21st-century characters had time traveled back to the early 1800s. (I think that's when this takes place.) I found the ready acceptance of then-unacceptable behavior--I'm thinking mainly of the Gramercys, but I guess I could extend that to much of Spindle Cove in general--too unbelievable for my taste.

I did like the chemistry between Thorne and Kate, and I liked many of their scenes together.

I don't quite understand how Thorne appeared to recover so quickly from the snake bite (though his strength was suitably weak whenever subsequent events required it).

I would only recommend this book to those looking for a fairly light and fluffy historical, with characters and situations that don't tax your brain or require too much authenticity.

JMO
Lizzie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Return of the Viscount by Gayle Callen C+. The reviewer gave this book a D- I purposely did not read the review until after I had finished reading the book. This wasn't a great book, but much better then a D-

I found myself liking Lady Cecilia and could understand her concerns about her younger brother. Haven't we all tried to protect a younger sibling at some point?

Lord Blackthorne was an interesting hero.He tried in his own way to gently court the wife he didn't know. No, they didn't jump into bed right away and I found that admirable. There was romance in this book.

In no way did I find the heroine TSTL as the reviewer stated. After all, she was running all aspects of the estate and trying to deal with a younger brother who did not care.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to read Deborah Harkness' second book about the time-traveling witch, but I keep putting it aside and reading other books. There's nothing outstandingly wrong with it. It's just sort of . . . dull.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scandal, Carolyn Jewel (B+) - This is my first book by this author and I've been wanting to read it for quite a while. I so looked forward to reading it every evening as it is emotionally gripping. I love the premise of the cynical and world-weary hero, Banallt, finding himself inexplicably smitten with the reserved and quiet wife of one of his rakish friends (who conveniently dies by the first chapter). Sophie is very likable as the demure and bookish woman, disillusioned with her marriage to a pretty worthless and mercenary rogue. I really love how Banallt and Sophie become friends against all odds and his falling in love with her is very believable. What I find frustrating in this novel is that Sophie can't believe or accept Banallt's love or his transformation despite very convincing behavior for at least a couple hundred pages. Her disbelief is a little off-putting after a while and the plot is stretched just a bit too thin for me before the two finally work through their obstacles. Still, I really like that the hero, who has all superficial attributes in his favor (looks, money, charm, experience), pines away for his unsuspecting and unpretentious heroine. I also noticed that Carolyn Jewel's recent new release seems to follow the same plot of the besotted aristocratic man and his unsuspecting object of affection. Can't wait to read this one too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: