AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
National Book Festival - Eloisa James

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sandlynn



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1809
Location: Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: National Book Festival - Eloisa James Reply with quote

The National Book Festival held on the National Mall in Washington, DC will be on September 22 and 23 this year. There usually isn't any representation by romance authors or, if any, there might be just one author from that genre. This year that appears to be the case. Apparently, Eloisa James will be giving a talk in the fiction and mystery tent on Sunday afternoon.

Here's the line-up for both days:
http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/schedule/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to make a big sign to put on my bedroom door. I love watching c-span 2 or 3 or which ever has the book fair on all weekend.

I didn't realize romance wasn't represented at this event. Seems a little snobby, unless there is another more lodgical reason. I mean I enjoy all types of books so why would one genre be excluded?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JulieR



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 190

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lois McMaster Bujold will also be speaking on Sunday afternoon. Wish I lived closer!
_________________
JulieR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JulieR wrote:
Lois McMaster Bujold will also be speaking on Sunday afternoon. Wish I lived closer!



check your c-span programing they cover the speakers maybe not all but you have to look and you might find they are going to cover her. I have to remember today to look this up for myself, I love listening to authors speak about their books. Even the driest topics of economics, politics, education, I don't care a good speaker is a pleasure to listen too and can make topics I wouldn't normally have an interest in sound so interesting that I sometimes think I might actually read their book, but sadly on those topics the talk is enough to satisfy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stl_reader



Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 226
Location: Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloisa James was at the St. Louis County Library (Headquarters location) tonight!

Wow, now there's one interesting and articulate woman. Very entertaining and informative.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eloisa James is speaking at the National Book Fair on Sunday something like 3pm.

The cspan schedule for the end of Sept isn't posted yet but here is the page. http://www.booktv.org/Schedule.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandlynn



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1809
Location: Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:

I didn't realize romance wasn't represented at this event. Seems a little snobby, unless there is another more lodgical reason. I mean I enjoy all types of books so why would one genre be excluded?


No, you've got it. It's snobby. After all, two of the five or so tents they now have are labeled "Mystery and Fiction" and "Science Fiction and Fantasy." So, three other genres are worthy of singling out, but not Romance. When a romance author is featured, it's under another umbrella: Sandra Brown in Mystery, Diana Gabaldon in Fiction, Eloisa James in Fiction. I know this type of event is planned out way in advance, but I'm surprised they're not trying to ride the "50 Shades of Grey" popularity and feature romance fiction, even if it shares a tent with another genre. Maybe next year ... but I doubt it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed her on Twitter when she was living in Italy with ther husband and family. She was very, very interesting. I can imagine that she would be a wonderful speaker.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I followed her on Twitter when she was living in Italy with ther husband and family. She was very, very interesting. I can imagine that she would be a wonderful speaker.


Paris. I really enjoyed her book about living there for the year. She was so entertaining when writing about her kids failing classes except English and all their little dramas. She must have children like mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xina



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 6635
Location: minneapolis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judyblueeyes wrote:
xina wrote:
I followed her on Twitter when she was living in Italy with ther husband and family. She was very, very interesting. I can imagine that she would be a wonderful speaker.


Paris. I really enjoyed her book about living there for the year. She was so entertaining when writing about her kids failing classes except English and all their little dramas. She must have children like mine.



Right...Paris. I thought Italy because her husband is Italian. Anyway, her tweets were so much fun when she was living there.
_________________
"As you wish"
~The Princess Bride
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sandlynn



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 1809
Location: Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was away for the weekend and was unable to read the Sunday paper until today. I noted that there's a "Book World" supplement for that day dedicated to the National Book Festival. The very first article is by Eloisa James and is a full page. It's titled, "A Shakespearean romance novelist plays many parts."

Here's a link to the article in the Washington Post Book World supplement: Eloisa James' article
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Judyblueeyes



Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Location: Great Lakes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
I was away for the weekend and was unable to read the Sunday paper until today. I noted that there's a "Book World" supplement for that day dedicated to the National Book Festival. The very first article is by Eloisa James and is a full page. It's titled, "A Shakespearean romance novelist plays many parts."

Here's a link to the article in the Washington Post Book World supplement: Eloisa James' article



Thank you for the link, what a nice message from Mary/Eloise. I feel for her on her big day, it is like being asked to speak was the greatest honour and the greatest moments of self doubt wrapped up in one. Funny to think someone with such great success could feel less worthy then others invited for the same honour.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group