AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong verbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
limagal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while we are still on the subject of errors- not a wrong verb one, but in a book I read fairly recently, the hero, after killing the villain near the end of the book, goes over and takes the sword out of him and wipes it off. However, in a couple of pages, he again takes the sword out of the bad guy. Now, unless this hero was ambidexterous and fighting with 2 swords, this is a mistake that someone should have surely seen when proofreading. I can undertand how it happens because sometimes as I am writing a novel, I day dream about a scene, different ways and later go and write it into the story, only to find a little further on, that I already had written some version of it. It just seems strange that the author, in rereading, did not catch this at all.
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

limagal wrote:
A lot of times, I find the words that spell check doesn't get because they are really words as well - just not the ones that are needed. I remember one where the hero grabbed the girl by her "waste", for instance and another where he felt something in his "lions".

I also cringe when authors get important detaails wrong. Several times I have seen it written that Arabian horses are large - even 17 hands once. Large and powerful - that is not an Arabian, which is a rather small horse. The Scottish hero in one of them- one of those big brutes, 6 1/2 feet tall was riding one recently in a story. He must have looked pretty silly with his legs hanging down.

I became rather annoyed when I read one where the hero, a horse breeder, was contemplating his pregnant mares. Covered in autumn and due to foal in spring. Er, no. Definitely not. Even if those mares got their jollies at the start of autumn and foaled at the very end of spring, I couldn't make that more than nine months, tops.

Elizabeth
limagal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen that one about the mares, but you would think that an author would check out the gestation period for different animals if she were going to write about them. Imagine if she wrote about an elephant and didn't check to see that it was 2 years for them!
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across a hilarious one, when the hero of a Lindsay McKenna Harlequin Intrigue mentioned the look of raptor on the heroine's face during sex.

And I thought, "Wait a minute, she turns into a dinosaur, when she orgasms? Why did Ms. McKenna wait until two chapters before the end to reveal that the heroine is a dinosaur shifter and the book a paranormal?"

Then I realized that it was supposed to say "rapture".
Nana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora wrote:
I just came across a hilarious one, when the hero of a Lindsay McKenna Harlequin Intrigue mentioned the look of raptor on the heroine's face during sex.

Oh, God. A look of raptor. I'm in pain trying not to laugh.

I'm also in pain because I went to the Dear Author thread and cannot process the number of people complaining about grammar and accuracy in posts riddled with mistakes. The person referencing Joyce's "Ulisses" gets a special star.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: