AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"In Death" series by J D Robb...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: "In Death" series by J D Robb... Reply with quote

Here we go. I have begun the first book in that series, Naked in Death, and so far am enjoying it a lot. Only 35 more books to read in the series! Smile As farmwifetwo said in one of the recent blogs, I shouldn't lack reading material for a long time (maybe three years or so). Pacing here will be extremely important so that I don't burn out. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Tee on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

This is probably my favorite series. Some books work better than others. In some the focus is more on the relationships and in others more on the case. But I have reread them often over the years.

Though I do a back-to-back reread every few years, I would suggest reading other books at least every few books to avoid burnout. At least, that's what I've found over the years with new-to-me authors I've glommed the backlist of.
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, library addict. I plan to not read them back to back. I don't know why I waited so long to attempt the series, since there have been threads about it from time to time and many readers have recommended them. Better late than never. Right now, though, the effort appears to be very overwhelming if I think how many books are involved in the series. One book at a time. Very Happy
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them to be quick reads--as in I do little else until I finish one. Don't forget the short stories. They are in chronological order with the full-length books.

I also recommend "cleansing the palate" between two or three "In Death" stories.

It will be a LONG time before you can complain that you have nothing to read [LOL].

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
I found them to be quick reads--as in I do little else until I finish one. Don't forget the short stories. They are in chronological order with the full-length books. I also recommend "cleansing the palate" between two or three "In Death" stories. It will be a LONG time before you can complain that you have nothing to read [LOL].

Thanks, Kay. Surprisingly, I am finding that this first book is very quick reading and already am planning to pick up the next two from the library later today. I saw the list of short stories in the bibliography of books, and I wondered about them. Are they interesting enough to read? Also, I'm not sure the library system may have them because they're usually combined in anthologies.

And, yes, that was the main reason I finally decided on embarking on this journey/series. From time to time, I run out of books and I thought it'd be great to have something "good" to read on hand. Believe it or not, I'm really quite excited about this. Nothing like having goals in life, as long as I realize this is for pleasure and not for a life-altering experience. Smile
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
...Nothing like having goals in life, as long as I realize this is for pleasure and not for a life-altering experience. Smile

Good plan. I once heard an elderly Scottish woman say that too many thoughts "strrrrained the brrrrain!" (The extra r's are for her broad Gaelic accent.) Nothing worse than a strained brain, I must say. Smile
SusanS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read all of the In Death books but none of the short stories that are in various anthologies. I don't believe any of the short stories include important ongoing plot points.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee and Susan,

Personally, I believe that most of the short stories do contribute to the development of characters and story arcs. The one between Christmas and New Year's has Eve's first Christmas with Rouarke (?) and another bonding experience with Dr Mira. "Paternity In Death" features a police conference on Rouarke's interplanetary Olympus resort. 2010's "Possession In Death" begins with the cook-out at Eve & Rouarke's that was promised at the end of the Fall 2010 book.

Most of the older stories have been issued in groups of three, so you don't have to acquire the original anthology.

Kay
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kay. I've rerun the list of books, this time including the short stories and interspersed them where they belong chronologically. Here's hoping the libraries now do their part when the time comes up for each book. Smile

In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying the first book still, Naked in Death. It is definitely well written, as I expected it would be. Still not sure what kept me from them, nor do I know why I began the first one those many years ago, but never finished it. Oh, well--second chances and all that.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, even though "Eternity in Death" was published a week earlier, it is actually set after Creation in Death.

Salvation in Death and "Ritual in Death" were published the same day, but Ritual is set after Salvation.

The order should be:
1. Naked In Death [July 1995]
2. Glory In Death [December 1995]
3. Immortal In Death [July 1996]
4. Rapture In Death [October 1996]
5. Ceremony In Death [May 1997]
6. Vengeance In Death [October 1997]
7. Holiday In Death [June 1998]
8. “Midnight In Death” (Silent Night anthology) [November 1998]
9. Conspiracy In Death [April 1999]
10. Loyalty In Death [October 1999]
11. Witness In Death [March 2000]
12. Judgment In Death [September 2000]
13. Betrayal In Death [March 2001]
14. “Interlude In Death” (Out of This World anthology) [August 2001]
15. Seduction In Death [September 2001]
16. Reunion In Death [March 2002]
17. Purity In Death [September 2002]
18. Portrait In Death [February 2003]
19. Imitation In Death [August 2003]
20. “Part II” (Remember When – part I is related Nora Roberts story) [hardcover September 2003]
21. Divided In Death [hardcover – January 2004]
22. Visions In Death [hardcover – August 2004]
23. Survivor In Death [hardcover – February 2005]
24. Origin In Death [hardcover – August 2005]
25. Memory In Death [hardcover – January 2006]
26. “Haunted In Death” (Bump In the Night anthology) [April 2006]
27. Born In Death [hardcover – November 2006]
28. Innocent In Death [hardcover – February 2007]
29. Creation In Death [hardcover – November 2007] <Eternity actually published 1 week earlier, but is set after Creation>
30. “Eternity in Death” (Dead of Night anthology) [November 2007]
31. Strangers in Death [hardcover – February 2008]
32. Salvation in Death [hardcover – November 2008] ] <published same date, Ritual is set after Salvation>
33. “Ritual in Death” (Suite 606 anthology) [November 2008]
34. Promises in Death [hardcover – February 2009]
35. Kindred in Death [hardcover – November 2009]
36. “Missing in Death” (The Lost anthology) [December 2009]
37. Fantasy in Death [hardcover – February 2010]
38. Indulgence in Death [hardcover – November 2010]
39. “Possession in Death” (The Other Side anthology) [December 2010]
40. Treachery in Death [hardcover – February 2011]
41. New York to Dallas [hardcover – September 2011]
42. “Chaos in Death” (The Unquiet anthology) [October 2011]
43. Celebrity in Death [hardcover – February 2012]
44. Delusion in Death [hardcover – September 2012]
45. Calculated in Death [hardcover – February 2013]
46. Thankless in Death [hardcover – September 2013]

Three in Death contains the novellas Midnight, Interlude,and Haunted

Big Jack is the individual release of Part II from Remember When (though I would recommend reading Part I, too. It's available separately as Hot Rocks if you can't get Remember When for some reason.)

Time of Death contains Eternity, Ritual, and Missing

So, Possesion and Chaos are the two novellas not yet available in print except in their original anthologies.

Last edited by library addict on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eliza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember When is one of my favorite books so I recommend reading both connected stories in it.

And at least one of the novellas reveals vital info about Eve and Roarke's pasts, while the others help "fill in their picture" of their relationship, so to say. JMO
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, library addict and Eliza, for that extra information. I really was not planning to include the extra stories, but am now rethinking that. Also, I appreciate the list, library addict, with the side notes on certain books and the places they hold on it.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: "In Death" series by J D Robb... Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Here we go. I have begun the first book in that series, Naked in Death, and so far am enjoying it a lot. Only 35 more books to read in the series! Smile As farmwifetwo said in one of the recent blogs, I shouldn't lack reading material for a long time (maybe three years or so). Pacing here will be extremely important so that I don't burn out. Wish me luck.

Tee, good luck and have fun! You're right, very important to pace and spread them out between other books. I made it to book 12 or so and then burned out but many others are still going strong so it can be done, haha

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it, Linda. If the fates are with me, my present-day reserves will come in and then I'll fit the In Death books in between them. Nice and tidy. Yeah, sure. The best-laid schemes of mice and men... Very Happy
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I binged a bit when I first started reading the series - but then I started with Seduction in Death by accident, just grabbing an audio at the library, so I had to catch up. I've pretty much kept up since. Two a year is a good pace to feel like I'm hanging out with old friends without being annoyed by repetition. Have fun, Tee!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: