AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laura Kinsale

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

I respect Laura Kinsale for not writing anything in the last few years; I had heard somewhere that she had writer's block. Any writer who stops, rather than producing an inferior product deserves respect, IMO. I, personally, did not finish her last book, LESSONS IN FRENCH, but I still think she's one of the best romance writers ever. If you haven't read her previous books, boy, have you got a treat in store for you.

So, does anyone know if she's still writing, even tho she hasn't produced anything for years? Is there ANY hope? Her web site has nothing, really.
Kayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

Just have to say that The Shadow and the Star is still one of my all time, top favorites. I don't see this author mentioned much. She writes what I call meatier works in that they have me thinking about them long after I finish reading them.
msaggie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

I also could not really get into Laura Kinsale's last book, Lessons in French. Her earlier books from the 90s, For My Lady's Heart and The Shadow and the Star are my favourites, and I re-read them often. Barbara Samuel/Ruth Wind is another author whose style is very similar to hers - check out A Bed of Spices and In the Midnight Rain, which are excellent. Both have DIK reviews at AAR.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked Lessons in French a lot. I respect Ms. Kinsale's decision not to write if she feels the writing is forced or not up to her standards, and I hope her muse returns soon.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Just have to say that The Shadow and the Star is still one of my all time, top favorites. I don't see this author mentioned much. She writes what I call meatier works in that they have me thinking about them long after I finish reading them.

My thoughts exactly I'm constantly mentioning The Shadow and The Star on this message board probably because it's my absolute favorite historical romance and it has everything for me in a reader that I could possibly want in a romance. If there was ever a perfect romance that was it for me.

And you are right she does that with her writing it has me thinking about it long after. I very much miss her works.
Eliza

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
I actually liked Lessons in French a lot. I respect Ms. Kinsale's decision not to write if she feels the writing is forced or not up to her standards, and I hope her muse returns soon.

Ditto.
Blackjack1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've read of her competitive work in the dressage world and as a fellow rider, I found her posts inspirational. I read about her new warmblood and she posted a picture of the horse on her website. I miss her writing but like to think of her out there showing and putting that intensity toward another compelling passion in her life.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I KNOW I've read too many paranormals when I get all kind of interesting visions at your comment, " I read about her new warmblood," Blackjack1.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
My thoughts exactly I'm constantly mentioning The Shadow and The Star on this message board probably because it's my absolute favorite historical romance and it has everything for me in a reader that I could possibly want in a romance. If there was ever a perfect romance that was it for me.

And you are right she does that with her writing it has me thinking about it long after. I very much miss her works.

It is also one of my top favorites. Once a few years ago, I asked Laura Kinsale about Samuel and Leda's HEA. She gave me a beautiful, long response that I would be happy to share if you are able to PM me. I wouldn't want to reveal possible spoilers here. Here is a paraphrased, shortened version. She felt that Samuel and Leda were made for one another in that they each supplied what the other was lacking. Samuel needed Leda and appreciated her inner strength. Leda understood Samuel's subtle gifts to the people he loved. She would always feel safe and loved and secure in the world he would build around her. Leda was able to love and accept him even with his past. Leda answered his offers of love in the language he used (the unusual gifts). She took the time to learn the symbols. In return, she got his utter and complete devotion.
aiven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leda's gift to Samuel at the end of the book was breathtaking. I actually teared up.
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Laura Kinsale Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
Kayne wrote:

Ditto re: The Shadow and The Star. I borrowed this book from a library, loved it, and went and bought a copy for my DIK collection. One of the reasons why this book is, IMO, the best romance book I've read in my entire romance reading years, is because it gets better with time. Every time I go back & re-read it, I discover something new from a dialogue, a monologue, or simply a sentence that makes me love this book all over again.

The irony of it, I dislike the quasi prequel of this book (Tess' story, can't even remember the title).
LynnS/AAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:

Same here. Lessons in French was different than other books of hers that I've read, but I really liked it. I hope she has a new book soon, too.
LFL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebook editions of Flowers from the Storm, The Hidden Heart and The Shadow and the Star are currently on sale for $2.99 in the US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: