AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Theme: Heroine takes care of the wounded/sick hero??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a while it seemed as if every Regency romance I read had the heroine nursing the hero after a carriage accident, including Carla Kelly's Libby's London Merchant (a great, great book). I'll check my reading log for some other titles and will post when I find them.
msaggie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Ellen O'Connell books Reply with quote

Jennifer wrote:
Dancing on Coals by Ellen O'Connoll....loved, loved, loved this book! Heroine is running from an abusive family and hides at hero's ranch. When family catches up to her, they force her to marry him and then beat the hero almost to death (trying to make her a bride and a widow in the same day). She must nurse him back to health. This is such an excellent book. Happy reading!
Jennifer the description you gave is for Eyes of Silver,Eyes of Gold. Having said that Dancing on Coals also has a section where the hero is shot and has his arm broken in several places, needing the heroine to nurse him back to health.

A favourite romance of mine with the theme of sick hero is Penelope Williamson's The Outsider - it has a B+ review at AAR and is a wonderful tale of love and redemption.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three more. The back cover information is first, with comments from my reading journal in italics. Note that the hero nurses the heroine in the first book listed below:

Prospero's Daughter by Nancy Butler
Repaying a debt of honor by helping the illustrious General Sir Janus Palfry write his memoirs, Morgan Pearce must leave London behind. And though he's not happy about venturing out to the officer's country estate, the dashing rogue canot deny the creature comforts of Palfry Park or his instant attraction to a mysterious woman in a Bath chair. Recovering from a carriage accident that took the lives of her parents, neglected by her uncle's family, Miranda Runyon spends her time alone...until Morgan enters her life. At first, Miranda rebuffs his advances. But when Morgan's attentions begin to transform Miranda in both body and soul, she risks her heart. A lovely book. Tightly plotted, excellent characterizations, a definite Pygmalion/Galatea story.

To Wed a Scandalous Spy by Celeste Bradley
Willa Trent was an orphan, raised by a local, somewhat odd family in the country, who want nothing but the best for their girl. So when she drags home the unconscious man she accidently hit with a slingshot, they arrange a hasty marriage and pack the couple off with best wishes. Armed with a groggy husband and a new future, Willa's pie-eyed optimism has no limits, until she discovers the secret, dangerous world of Nathaniel Stonewell, Earl of Reardon, a.k.a. Lord Treason. Though Nathaniel is reviled by most of England for his devious plot against the Crown, he is in reality a member of an elite cadre of secret royal defenders on a daring undercover mission. He must keep his secrets at all costs, esecially from Willa. Liked both Willa and Nathaniel, and the book has a lovely sense of humor.

An Affair of Honor by Candice Hern
Meg Ashburton was a disaster her first Season in London, a tall and awkward ugly duckling out of her depth in the social swim. Her only moment of delight was a brief dance in the arms of the dazzling Colin Herriot, Viscount Sedgewick. Since then Meg blossomed into a regal beauty. In an even more starling turnabout, the superb Sedgewick now lies bedbound in Meg's country manor, recovering from a curricle accident. The accident, however, was no accident, and I guessed the villain the moment he entered the story. The book is not bad, and has a great opening chapter, but I somehow didn't care enough about it to finish. Also by chance happened to read two books in a row about bedbound heroes nursed by heroines who think they've met angels when they first see the heroine.

And I second msaggie's recommendation of Penelope Williamson's The Outsider -- an outstanding book.
Dreaming of You

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly Sinful by Mary Balogh: Hero is shot and knocked unconscious, heroine finds him and nurses him back to health)

Simply Love by Mary Balogh: Hero has already healed from physical injuries (he's missing his right arm and eye) but is still suffering from emotional injuries that heroine helps heal.

To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt: Hero has already recovered from physical injuries but is still suffering from emotional injuries which heroine helps heal.

Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale: A definitely must read for this theme. Hero suffers stroke and is confined against his will to mental institution, heroine finds him there and helps him heal.

All About Love by Stephanie Laurens: It's not a major focus of the book but the books starts with the heroine helping the hero to recover from a head injury.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: