AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kristen Ashley, have you read her?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenwick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Kristen Ashley, have you read her? Reply with quote

A friend asked me if I knew anything about Kristen Ashley. I don't. She seems to be a new author who writes ebooks like Sweet Dreams and Rock Chicks.

I though readers on the board probably have read her and can help my friend.
oklanannie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the first of the year I've been on a Kristen Ashley book binge. She's a magnificent storyteller. Her stories mostly center around over-the-top alpha males and strong, feisty heroines. The characters are flawed and often times rough and gritty, but they always wrap themselves around your heart. Many have experienced horrendous experiences in their lives. All are served with a big dose of hot sizzling romance. Most of her books are part of a series and each new book also revisits past characters. She does have several outstanding standalones. "Heaven & Hell," "Law Man," "Play It Safe," and "Games of the Heart" are among my favorites.

Her latest release on April 8th is "Knight," the first in her new "Unfinished Hero" series. Ashley took this book to another level, dipping her toes into light BDSM and erotic romance. It is my least favorite of her books. From the reviews so far, it appears to be a "love it" or "hate it" reading experience.

Your friend should be forewarned that Ashley's writing style is very different and it takes awhile to get into the rhythm. The books are also written in first person. Editing problems are certain irritants as well. At first they threw me off; however, her stories are so captivating that those problems soon fell by the wayside for me. The later books appear to be receiving better editing attention.
Terese

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a couple by this author, in her fantasy series: Wildest Dreams and The Golden Dynasty. The stories themselves are fun. I mostly enjoyed them. I have a few quibbles tho. The heroines are pretty much interchangeable. They think and speak almost exactly the same. She uses a lot of italics and parentheses and dot,dot,dots. (Because, it's not awesome ... it's freaking awesome. It's ... kick a$$ awesome.). It makes me wonder if she has an editor. That sort of writing bothers me, so I don't think I'll pick up any more. But seeing how popular she is on Amazon, I may be in the minority there.
erika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading Knight. Almost halfway into it and enjoying it. Knight the hero is a true bad boy not fake at all.
Jane A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few of her books and she's what I call a guilty pleasure. I can see all the holes in her writing and there are numerous typos (she needs an editor!) but I enjoy her anyway. My favorite of hers are in the Colorado Mountain series. She is certainly a case of YMMV.
moonbeam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Very highly recommended! Reply with quote

I've been on a Kristen Ashley reading binge this year, I absolutely LOVE her books. She writes contemporary novels, with some light suspense elements. Her heroes are over the top uber alpha males. These guys are bossy and rude bad*sses and you'll probably hate them for the first few chapters in a book, but boy oh boy when they come through - swoon-worthy Wink
Warning: Kristen Ashley is self-published and her books need some editing here and there and they are really looooong, which I usually don't like, but she is such a great storyteller that I don't mind, I didn't want the books to end... If you're bored with the same old, same old contemporary romances, give her a try, she's absolutely addicting!

My favorites are:
-Sweet Dreams, Lady Luck, The Gamble (Colorado Mountain series)
-Mystery Man and Law Man (Dream Man series)
and the 'Burg Series.
Cee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to read Knight after hearing all the hoopla and it was so bad I was cracking up.
moonbeam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee wrote:
I tried to read Knight after hearing all the hoopla and it was so bad I was cracking up.

Well, Knight is her first erotic novel, and not for everyone, it was certainly out of my comfort zone, too... I wouldn't start with that one, I would try "Sweet Dreams" or another contemporary one first...
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read Sommersgate House. Its a contemporary gothic about an American woman who has to move to her brother-in-law's haunted house outside London to share joint custody of her dead brother's children.

It wasn't a perfect book, but I enjoyed it a lot and would definitely buy something else by this author.
Cee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonbeam wrote:
Cee wrote:

Well, Knight is her first erotic novel, and not for everyone, it was certainly out of my comfort zone, too... I wouldn't start with that one, I would try "Sweet Dreams" or another contemporary one first...

I don't have a problem with erotica, I have a problem with terribly formed characters, barely literate sentences and raging misogyny.
erika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee wrote:
moonbeam wrote:
Cee wrote:

I don't have a problem with erotica, I have a problem with terribly formed characters, barely literate sentences and raging misogyny.

Before I bought Ashley I got as much info as possible. Curious if you read the excerpts first???
LikesBadBoys

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read a few of her books and she's what I call a guilty pleasure. I can see all the holes in her writing and there are numerous typos (she needs an editor!) but I enjoy her anyway...She is certainly a case of YMMV.

Would definitely agree with this. I just finished reading Knight and have mixed feelings about it; I was intrigued enough to want to read more of her stuff and likely the next book in the Unfinished Heroes series. I believe what people are saying about her ability to write great alpha males because there were parts of the Knight character that I liked, other parts were surprising and will definitely be controversial (to say the least).
Mktrioka

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!! I just discovered Ms. Ashley's work this past weekend and came over here to see if anyone reads her (I'm mostly a lurker, and enjoy the vast benefits of this forum as a reader). I read about five of her books in three days. Embarassed I feel like I shouldn't have enjoyed them as much as I did, but I freakin' couldn't get enough! While I did find some of the characters a bit repetitive, I really enjoyed reading about the ongoing relationships in the book -- how the characters grew and changed -- getting to see the decision of the H/h to be together come at the 2/3 mark of the book, rather than at the end. I'm pretty picky about my genres -- I won't pick up her fantasy stuff or anything witch/occult-related -- but I'll be watching like a hawk for her new "Unfinished Heroes" and "Colorado Mountain" books.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikesBadBoys wrote:
[Would definitely agree with this. I just finished reading Knight and have mixed feelings about it; I was intrigued enough to want to read more of her stuff and likely the next book in the Unfinished Heroes series. I believe what people are saying about her ability to write great alpha males because there were parts of the Knight character that I liked, other parts were surprising and will definitely be controversial (to say the least).

Yeah this! LOL

It probably would have been better if I hadn't started with Knight but I'm glad I was intrigued enough to keep going. I followed it with the first in the Dream Man series, Mystery Man and I've enjoyed it very much! I really liked the humor and her heroes are so unapologetically alpha that I'm quickly getting hooked. I've now already purchased the sequels Wild Man, Law Man and Motorcycle Man. I know the writing isn't perfect but I don't care. Very Happy

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I said to my husband last night "You feel me?" and he was like..what the hell are you talking about.... Laughing

Linda...Currently enjoying Wild Man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: