AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Dialogue please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: More Dialogue please Reply with quote

It drives me absolutely crazy to have descriptions and descriptions throughout many many pages with no dialogue. Actually my favorite romances were because of great dialogue between hero and heroine. It can be sexy/funny/playful/sarcastic whatever but I really wish authors would add more of it.
I think one of the most important aspects about falling for a couple is that they show that they can communicate with each other better than with anyone else. Well describing for pages their feelings without any interaction is beyond annoying.
So with that said anyone have great recommendations for good romances that just had really wonderful dialogue?

Thanks so much,
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my head, I enjoyed the dialogue in these fairly recent books: A Week to be Wicked, What I Did for a Duke, and When Beauty Tamed the Beast.

And need I mention Jane Eyre?
MEK

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I have trouble with this, too. I also enjoy books more when the couple have other characters to "bounce" off of and dialogue with, so that it is not just the two of them for a majority of the time. I want to see how they relate to each other and the people around them.

For me, a good author brings in secondary characters to round out her story and her character development of the leads.

One author who balances this well is Elizabeth Hoyt. Her characters have moments of reflection, but they go places and do things and talk to people and have multiple conversations, as do her secondary characters.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: More Dialogue please Reply with quote

Islandgirl2 wrote:
It drives me absolutely crazy to have descriptions and descriptions throughout many many pages with no dialogue. Actually my favorite romances were because of great dialogue between hero and heroine. It can be sexy/funny/playful/sarcastic whatever but I really wish authors would add more of it.
I think one of the most important aspects about falling for a couple is that they show that they can communicate with each other better than with anyone else. Well describing for pages their feelings without any interaction is beyond annoying.
So with that said anyone have great recommendations for good romances that just had really wonderful dialogue?

Thanks so much,

I have to admit, this drives me crazy too. In the contemporary world, sexy/funny/playful/sarcastic and even "whatever" draws me to Julie James every time. Her last book did not contain as much of her trademark dialogue as her first four, but if you haven't tried them they definitely have what you are looking for. Her first book, "The Sexiest Man Alive," was originally written as a screenplay which she couldn't sell. It still reads very much like a screenplay, but it remains one of my favorite reads.
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank yoo so much for the recommendations. Glad I'm not the only one that gets annoyed by this.

I have definitely loved Elizabeth Hoyt and Jane Eyre one of my favorite classics because of the interactions.

Could use a good contemporary as well so will be sure to try Julie James.
desiderata

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation of "What I did for a Duke." I loved the dialogue between the h/h. Some of it was laugh out loud witty, some of it was really poignant, some was really sexy. All of it demonstrated why these two people clicked, fell in love, and belonged together, despite a significant age difference.
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Howard writes some nice dialogue, along with Michelle Jerott/Michelle Albert (am currently rereading Jerott). Also, Jillian Hunter (historical) writes some very humorous dialogue. The book, Indiscretion is filled with funny, funny quips between hero and heroine.
Hopeless_Romantic

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way about a book with very little dialogue - pages upon pages of internal thoughts gets very tiring.

An author that always makes me laugh with her witty dialogue and even wittier, but brief, internal dialogue, is Jessica Hart - she cracks me up and has very realistic, flawed characters that I love! Smile
Islandgirl2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank you for recommending What I Did For a Duke. I thought it was fabulous and I really enjoyed it. I want to get to some of the other recommendations as well.

Love this board just for this kind of reason. Another fave was given to me by visiting here at AAR. Wink
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I like Eloisa James and Jennifer Crusie is because I like the dialogue in their books so much. Sometimes I think I like their dialogue because it sounds like my friends and me, but the characters in the books talk that way for page after page, whereas in Real Life I only sound that smart and funny for five minutes every few weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: