AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stl_reader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romantics Anonymous (Emotifs Anonyme)

In French with English subtitles, 78 minutes

Funny, funny light bit of fluff. Two neurotically shy people cross paths (she becomes an employee at his chocolate shop) and romance ensues. (Or does it?)

Thoroughly enjoyable, thanks to the acting and the chemistry of the two leads.

Don't let the subtitles put you off--this movie is totally accessible to Americans, and very easy to follow. I rated it 7/10 on IMDB.
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw The Hunger Games last night. I never read the books so I went into it with a pretty clean slate. It was very captivating, disturbing and moving. I'm still thinking about parts of it today.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
Saw The Hunger Games last night. I never read the books so I went into it with a pretty clean slate. It was very captivating, disturbing and moving. I'm still thinking about parts of it today.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'd say that sounds like what I thought of the book.

Linda
Nicole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw This Means War tonight and it was terrible. Don't waste your time or money. It was chalked full of every single cliche available, the characters were one dimensional, and the acting wasn't great. Yucky movie.
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: latest movie Reply with quote

We just rented the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version). I thought it was very well done but I still like the original Swedish version much better.Maybe it's just a case of seeing the Swedish version first.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: latest movie Reply with quote

kris wrote:
We just rented the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version). I thought it was very well done but I still like the original Swedish version much better.Maybe it's just a case of seeing the Swedish version first.

Got this one in from Netflix today, especially for my daughter who is coming home from college this weekend for Easter. She loved the book so hopefully will enjoy the movie. I look forward to watching it as well.

She also saw Hunger Games and said it was very well done, I'll see it but wait for the DVD.

Linda
kris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: movies Reply with quote

Linda is sw va wrote
Quote:
Got this one in from Netflix today, especially for my daughter who is coming home from college this weekend for Easter. She loved the book so hopefully will enjoy the movie. I look forward to watching it as well.

Curious to see what you think about it. Did you see the Swedish version ?

I too am going to wait to rent the Hunger Games. My daughter plans on seeing it this weekend as well. I still haven't read the books but my husband and daughter just loved them.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: movies Reply with quote

kris wrote:
Curious to see what you think about it. Did you see the Swedish version ?

Kris I didn't, I didn't know there was one.

Linda
kris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: girl Reply with quote

I think the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came out around 2009. It stars Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace.I think it is slightly edgier than the more recent version. But really....both movies are very good.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: girl Reply with quote

kris wrote:
I think the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came out around 2009. It stars Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace.I think it is slightly edgier than the more recent version. But really....both movies are very good.

I just watched the American version today. The Swedish version is SOOO much better.

A couple of things that annoyed me in the American version were all the product placements. Seriously! And the fact that the newscasters in Sweden spoke English on tv. Really?!?! Rolling Eyes
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avengers
B-

Kinda predictable adventure film. Popcorn movie with some funny moments. With so many characters we really didn't get to spend time with the people I wanted to spend time with - Hawkman barely had lines and Dr. Banner/The Hulk was strictly played for laughs. Ironman had the most screen time so if he is the super hero you love, you'll definitely want to see this.

Looking forward to Spiderman and Dark Knight Rises. Yay! Summer Movie season has officially begun.

maggie b.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer B+ - loved it! If you don't mind a little revisionist history it has a great combination of history, action and kicking vampire ass. Awesome to see on the big screen!

Linda
Katie (kat)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back from Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer. I walked out after having wasted an hour + hoping it would get to a point or at least have some redeeming entertainment value. I had expected some history and a little bit of humor but neither of those things were present. I like vampire stories (Buffy, Interview w/ the Vampire, True Blood, Underworld, Lost Boys, Near Dark, Fright Night, ect) but this was bad. They just slapped the name Abraham Lincoln on a character, showed a lot of CGI fight scenes and didn't bother with a story. Rolling Eyes
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a double-header movie day for me -- we're trying to beat the heat! -- and as my friend pointed out, we couldn't have picked two more contrasting films.

First on the agenda today was MAGIC MIKE. I'll admit it: I went for the man-candy, and there was plenty of it. There was also the obligatory cautionary tale, as 19-year-old Adam gets caught up in the women, the money, and the good time, and starts going down a dead-end path. The movie was a little long for what it was. I did enjoy the routines and grinned hugely in several places. I find that I much prefer to see those scenes with a barrier between me and what's playing out. I'd be mortified, I think, to experience all that in real life. I'd give it a C+, I guess.

Next was MOONRISE KINGDOM, a story about young lovers who run away to be together, sparking a community-wide search and rescue. The movie is quirky. Funny in places and I enjoyed watching it, even if I wouldn't necessarily want to see it again. Beautiful to watch, too -- like the entire thing was filmed in Instagram. If there was a deeper meaning to the movie, it escaped me, but I was entertained. B-

Last week I saw BRAVE. Can't say that it was my favorite Pixar movie, but I did enjoy it. The star of the show for me was Merida's hair! Wow! I was mesmerized.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Brave and liked it a lot.

Yesterday it was The Amazing Spiderman. I prefer the Tobey Macgurie (sp?), Kirsten Dunst version. This one felt slow at some points and I just didn't feel for Garfield's Peter Parker the way I did for Tobey's.

maggie b.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: