Fanfiction versus Retellings – Do you have a favorite?

I got interested in fanfiction when I saw that three new books I’m reviewing were inspired by popular fanfiction characters and realized how fast this genre is growing!

Fanfiction is described as new stories based on characters from a fan’s favorite book, movie, TV show or other media. Some of the popular characters I’ve seen in fanfiction include Kylo Ren and Rey (Reylo) from Stars Wars, Belle and Edward (Bedward) from Twilight and Harry Potter imagined couples like Harry and Draco or Draco and Hermione (Dramione). Here are a few fanfiction examples with links to AAR reviews.

The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood has main characters based on Kylo Ren and Rey from Stars Wars. The MC is even named Adam. (Kylo is played by Adam Driver in Star Wars.) Olive is a brilliant Ph.D. candidate in Biology, and Adam is a Stanford professor. It has fake dating, grumpy/sunshine and an FMC in STEM.

Forget Me Not by Julie Soto has Elliot, a hot florist, inspired by Kylo Ren from Star Wars, and Ama, a wonderful, creative wedding planner. This a steamy, second chance romance as they reunite to plan a big, splashy wedding.

Carry On, by Rainbow Rowell, has a wizard school, magical creatures, and Simon and his vampire roommate Baz, who were inspired by Harry and Draco from Harry Potter. This is the YA M/M story that Cath, the main character in Fangirl wrote about Simon Snow.

Wallbanger by Alice Clayton was originally titled Edward Wallbanger and started as a Twilight fanfiction story. Caroline moves into her new apartment and discovers she can hear her neighbor Simon’s bedtime activities with his dates through their paper-thin walls. There aren’t any vampires but it’s funny and steamy.

The Hurricane Wars by Thea Guanzon is a fantasy romance set in the Philippines with characters inspired by Kylo Ren and Rey from Star Wars. It’s about Talasyn, a fierce and compassionate soldier with Light Magic and the dark and brooding, Prince Alaric, with Night Magic and they must work together to save their world. The first book in the series comes out Oct 3rd. (I will be reviewing it along with Dabney.)

I used to think fanfiction and retellings were the same thing but have since learned that they are each their own genre. Retellings are new versions of an old story, like a fairytale or a Jane Austen book, where authors keep the same plot and characters but have a different setting, time or genre. Here are a few retellings, with links to AAR reviews.

By the Book is Jasmine Guillory’s sweet retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Izzy is an editorial assistant trying to get Beau, a former child star celebrity, known for being gruff and rude, to finish writing his memoir. It’s lighthearted with fun banter.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith follows the same plot as Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice except it is a comedy with a zombie twist. England has been overrun by zombies and the Bennet sisters are the best zombie slayers around due to their Shaolin training. Mr. Darcy becomes impressed with Jane when he sees her awesome fighting skills😊.

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik is a fantasy retelling of Rumpelstiltskin that follows Miryem, a girl who saves her starving family by taking over her father’s moneylending business while drawing the attention of the Staryk king. Maggie (AAR) described it as “A story full of adventure, wit, dangerous fey and clever queens, it is everything, EVERYTHING that a fairy tale for adults should be.

West Side Love Story by Priscilla Oliveras is a retelling of West Side Story (and of Romeo and Juliet) and is about Mariana who competes against Hugo in the Battle of the Mariachi Bands. Mariana wants the prize money to help her adoptive parents’ financial problems. Lisa (AAR) wrote “What a great ride, and what a fun love story! I defy readers to consume West Side Love Story and avoid falling in love with Angelo, or Mariana and Angelo’s love story. I mean, he crushes on her while watching her mariachi band play Amor Prohibido – do you expect me NOT to love this book?

When Beauty Tamed the Beast is the second book in Eloisa James’ Fairy Tale series and is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Piers, the grumpy Earl of Marchant, is the beast in the story and practices medicine in his castle in Wales. The beauty is Linnet who is hoping for a quick marriage with Piers to save her reputation. Dabney (AAR) . wrote, “The two learn to like and love one another and their interactions are witty and passionate.

Do you like fanfiction or retellings? Do you have a favorite book of either?

Subscribe
Notify of

33 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments