The Burnout
Grade : A

This book had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. It’s Sophie Kinsella at her best.

Sasha is a marketing director for a travel app and what once was her dream job has turned into a daily drudge where she is overworked and burned out. Her breaking-point is really funny and I chuckled as she is hounded for her lack of participation in the employee Joyfulness program and laughed even harder when she tries to escape work and ends up being chased by a nun. Her mother books her a room at a hotel in Rilston Bay where they used to go as a family so Sasha can rest and recover.

Finn is an overworked management consultant and he and Sasha meet at the hotel where he is also healing from his own severe work burnout and meltdown. The hotel is in shambles, with only a small, quirky staff to keep it going, but Sasha and Finn make the best of it and spend most of their time on the beach. They start out trying to avoid each other because they relish their peace and quiet but soon are commiserating about the hotel and their jobs and it’s wonderful.

Sasha’s mother tells her about an app, Twenty Steps to a Better You, and suggests Sasha try it to help her with a wellness routine. It brought a ton of humor to the story as Finn laughs at her hula hoop, vile green smoothies, and her dances on the beach. Soon, he asks if he can join her and they tackle one step each day from the app. They ‘seek adventure’ to ‘blast their senses alive’ and explore the quaint town of Rilston Bay, absorbing the sights and sounds of the sea and revisiting their favorite places from their youth. I loved seeing them go surfing, revive their senses, and fall in love.

There are other loveable characters in the story and my favorite one is their old surf instructor, Terry, who was a well-loved mentor and hero to many, known for including life lessons in his surf lessons. His side plot in the story is heartbreaking but so touching and I found myself inspired by his pep talks, “You think you can surf,” “Oh, you all want to rush ahead, catch the hugest waves, show off to your friends-but that’s not what it’s about, don’t you see? It’s about you and the sea. You and the ride. The ride is it.

Some other fun characters are Cassidy, the ever helpful and observant receptionist, who tries her best to make their stay enjoyable and gives them the hotel app that sends a lot of funny messages, and Simon, the sweet manager, who apologizes often for the hotel’s deficiencies. There was even a little mystery for Sasha and Finn to solve.

The Burnout is a heartwarming story and I was surprised by its depth as well as Sasha and Finn's growth as they began to heal and make new life choices. This is a must-read for anyone who has experienced burnout, or is looking for a fun romcom. I have enjoyed many laughs and good times reading Kinsella’s books over the years and I’m happy to say, I think The Burnout is her best one yet.

Reviewed by Kayne Spooner
Grade : A

Sensuality: Subtle

Review Date : October 10, 2023

Publication Date: 10/2023

Review Tags: 

Recent Comments …

Kayne Spooner

Kayne Spooner is a retired science teacher, dog owner, and proud grandma who lives in beautiful Colorado. While she's an avid reader of all genres, romances have always swept her off her feet. Kayne gravitates toward stories with humor, swoon-worthy love interests, and memorable furry sidekicks, although really, if there's a happy ever after, she's here for it! She loves sharing her passion for books with the romance community and connecting with fellow readers. https://www.instagram.com/kspoonerfish/.
Subscribe
Notify of

4 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x