AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recently Read January/February/March
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mirole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie, I also read Anna and the French Kiss by S. Perkins and loved it. It was in fact my first YA romance (and I am 50 myself).
Based on what I read on Goodreads about her 2nd novel, I am not going to read it but am interested to know your opinion.

I will also try to read another YA romance you mentioned on this thread - DUFF.

I myself read this week Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire - also a YA romance (h/H are 18-20). It's quite a controversial book, I read it after reading the review on Dear Author and all about the author's unprofessional behaviour on Goodreads. I would have liked to join those boycotting the author but the story sounded like one I would enjoy. Obviously, I did not like the hero's violent side but agree with Jane on DA that the book is very readable. The last few chapters were very weak to me, the hero's behaviour was nauseatingly cheesy. Still B- for me.

Just want to say again that although I did enjoy the book, I am a bit ashamed of this because I find the author's behaviour regarding a negative review very unprofessional, childish and petty.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pleasure of Your Kiss - Teresa Medeiros

Medeiros is not working for me in this most recent story. I was not drawn to the main characters. Clarinda (Poppy) seemed immature but Ash had promise. It involved a kidnapping to a harem and that plot sort of set a negative pace for me right from the beginning. The next book will involve Ash's brother Max and that one may be better, minus the sultan and harem.

Last edited by Tee on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mirole"]Natalie, I also read Anna and the French Kiss by S. Perkins and loved it. It was in fact my first YA romance (and I am 50 myself).

A good book is a good book and transcends genre. After all, millions of adults loved Harry Potter!

Quote:
Based on what I read on Goodreads about her 2nd novel, I am not going to read it but am interested to know your opinion.

Why not, is it because of the older first boyfriend?

Quote:
I will also try to read another YA romance you mentioned on this thread - DUFF.

I hope you'll like it. It's very different from Stephanie Perkins', the h/h are more flawed, but I like it in this case.

Quote:
I myself read this week Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire - also a YA romance (h/H are 18-20). It's quite a controversial book, I read it after reading the review on Dear Author and all about the author's unprofessional behaviour on Goodreads. I would have liked to join those boycotting the author but the story sounded like one I would enjoy. Obviously, I did not like the hero's violent side but agree with Jane on DA that the book is very readable. The last few chapters were very weak to me, the hero's behaviour was nauseatingly cheesy. Still B- for me.

I was interested in it, but the hero's behavior put me off.

I have a few other YA/college authors in my reading queue: Simone Elkeles, Sarah Dessen, Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, Beth Revis. Any opinions on those?
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Continuing my affair with YA fiction Smile This one is a cross between Hunger Games and X-men, with a spin. The heroine is like Rogue, but she's lucky enough to meet a guy who can tolerate her touch. It's also got a very interesting villain (more like an antihero). I wouldn't be surprised if he's redeemed at some point in the sequels. Judging by the reviews, some people were put off by the idiosyncratic writings (striked out sentences), but it was a good way to show the inner turmoil of the heroine. It became more cohesive as she was recovering from her trauma. It's probably not my favorite YA distopia, but it was definitely memorable.
mirole

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie, re Lola and the Boy Next Door - no, it's because of the heroine's flamboyant style, just not my type.

I am definitely interested in and am going to try Simone Elkeles and Sarah Dessen ( I bought a perfectly new book by her for $2 HC). Haven't heard of any others you mention but will keep an eye on your reviews.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarra Manning, You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

I don't know who's the target audience for this book. It's not a typical romance (the hero's POV is absent, so it could've been easily written in the 1 person POV), it's not YA (the heroine is in her mid twenties and it's also twice as long as a standard YA book). It's probably a cross between chiklit and romance. I recommend this book if you look for something different - especially since it's set in London. I've been to London twice so I had some idea about the places and celebrities mentioned (I admit I did not know the second "w" in Warwick is silent!). The plot is pretty much a cliche: he's a charming "man-whore", she's an "insecure" blue-stocking, however it's still interesting to see how they work out the issues that stand in the way of the HEA.

A warning: the heroine is obsessed with losing weight, which is near and dear to almost every woman, including myself. As someone who's lost a respectable amount on the Primal low carb, I had a hard time trying to figure out what her diet was like: if she can eat neither carbs nor fat, what exactly she's eating? You can't eat only protein, so it's usually either one or the other. I wonder if the author or publisher wanted to leave it vague to appeal to the broadest possible audience.
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephanie Perkins, Lola and The Boy Next Door

An ok read, but disappointing compared to the first book. Nothing felt serious or believable, even the names were crazy (Cricket? Seriously?). I was also annoyed at the supposed "Lolita" angle, but serious,y 17 and 22 is not even remotely close to the Lolita situation. Unlike "AATFK", the school stuff was boring, and while San Francisco is not exactly in the same league as Paris, it's certainly more interesting that it appears in the book. Even the glimpses of Anna and Etienne were too cloying sweet. My advice is to skip this one. Ms Perkins is a talented author but I feel she handles foreign locales better. If the third book is going to be set in Europe again, I'll be checking it out for sure.
BabyBunny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: New books :) Reply with quote

My favorite author is Teresa Medeiros. I have been re-reading her older novels and can't wait to read her new book. I would love to hear from anyone that has read her latest book and let me know how it is. Very Happy

I also just recently read a new paranormal romance e-book by chance from an author I have never heard of but the book was pretty good. I think its called Black Tide by Joyce Evelyn. She's supposed to come out with a second book soon.

Anyone else read any good romance lately or paranormal romance that's really good that they would recommend?
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (YA)

Not sure if I'd recommend this one. On the one hand, the "chemistry" was definitely there and the hero was pretty hod for an 18 year old, on the other hand too many cliches and over-the-top situations. It's like "Grease" but with the Mexican gangs. It's even mentioned in the novel itself. Even though the author tried to address some serious issues (breaking from the gang violence, dealing with disabilities), the tone was a bit too light so it was somewhat jarring. And points off for the Rowling type epilogue.
Natalie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Change, Darlene Marshall

Wow, what a great combination of romance and adventure! I almost gave up on reading something like this these days.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
What a fun read. Loved how she modeled them the hero Piers after Gregory House. My first Eloisa James book, it will not be my last.
A-
Jane A

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Sea Change, Darlene Marshall

Wow, what a great combination of romance and adventure! I almost gave up on reading something like this these days.

I just finished this, too. Really, really enjoyed it. I, too, like some adventure with my romance, a purely relationship driven book often leaves me yawning.
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwm in mi wrote:
When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
What a fun read. Loved how she modeled them the hero Piers after Gregory House. My first Eloisa James book, it will not be my last.
A-

I really liked this one too. In fact I listed it in one of the categories for the AAR poll.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really liked this one too. In fact I listed it in one of the categories for the AAR poll.

It made my AAR poll as well. Best Historical UK and Funniest read Very Happy
peajay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase. I loved it. It was a solid A read for me. But not only was it an A read, it was such a pleasurable A read. Some books you read, and you enjoy, and you rate very highly, but through three quarters of the book, your heart is simply breaking because of the god awful angst going on between h/h. This one, I smiled through the entire thing, and that's such a delightful gift.

Marcelline Noirot reminded me of my favorite Chase heroine, Lydia Grenville from The Last Hellion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: