AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you believe in "soulmates"? Or that there's tha

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bookmark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Do you believe in "soulmates"? Or that there's tha Reply with quote

special person for "you"? Does that notion even exist anymore?

My idealistic side really, really want to believe it and love the idea of it. Maybe that's why I love and read the type of romance novels that I love. Realistically, though, I don't believe in it anymore (I haven't for a while now), and I do feel a little sad about that. Just because, for me (I can't assume it's necessarily the same for others), it feels like it signifies my more cynical, jaded outlook.

Pretty much, now, I feel love is wherever one finds it and with whomever. It's hard to know whether the person one's with is one's soulmate or not, because the relationship didn't last for whatever reason and because many people can fall in love and feel just as strongly for each person in that relationship at that time. People can and do have many loves in their lifetime.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmark, I do believe in soul mates, but maybe easy for me to say because I found mine. When we met, so much odd stuff happened that brought us together in that moment that we can't help but feel the universe arranged it. When we met, we knew. I do also think that soul mates can come in the form of friendship or that there are times when our perfect match can come along in our life but is ony meant to be there for a time. I'm so thankful for my first love, even though he was not my last.

I don't believe in soul mates in the way that they're represented most often in romance novels, funny enough. Romance novels to me often portray the relationship as power struggles, or one always chasing the other or trying to one up each other. I guess that's more interesting than...they met and they knew, haha.

Linda
dick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone had to wait for a "soul mate," the human race would probably cease to exist. Most relationships depend upon accident and propinquity, propinquity being the most important of the two, even in romance fiction. It's always possible, of course, that all accidents happen correctly and bring them into proximity. But the odds of that, except when an author's involved, are not very good.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. I also don't believe that there's a love match out there for everyone.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents had a fantastic relationship. If I were to believe in soul mates, their relationship would be why. The only thing is, they were a hard act to follow. LOL.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe in soul mates, but I don't believe that there's necessarily only one for each of us -- I actually find that idea very sad. Life can be so fragile that I would like to think that we can find love again. It won't be exactly the same as the first love, but it may be equally wonderful in its own way. Last Sunday's Washington Post magazine had a beautiful, heartwarming story about a woman blessed enough to have found two marvelous men. I hope the link comes through because I think it's a very romantic story.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-family-learns-the-true-meaning-of-the-vow-in-sickness-and-in-health/2011/11/04/gIQAahyAdP_story.html
FriendlyFace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan, thanks so much for the link to the article - it was a wonderful read.

Regarding the original thread question...I do not believe in soul mates. I believe in good matches, though.

Bev
D Rogers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Soul Mates Reply with quote

I don't believe you can find them, but if you are smart about the person you pick as your mate, and if you are willing to work hard at your marriage or partnership, you can make one.

Denise
EDavis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Hey bookmark Reply with quote

I actually do believe in them. I study a lot of metaphysics and teach many different concepts.

Here's a link on soul mates that I have looked over lately. You might find it interesting.

http://www.twinsoulrevelations.org/

I definitely went through a lot of life lesson's to eventually reach a place where I was able to meet a great man.

Take care!
WandaSue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I don't believe in "soul mates." Lots of books have been written on the subject, many of which I read in the mid-90's, when I got divorced from my first husband and was devastatingly lonely.

When I read that soul mates are of the moment, and that the connection can fade when the two parties grow, I thought, "Yeah, ok, whatever," and decided that what a lot of people consider a "soul mate" is really just the excitement of new love, new lust, and fresh discovery.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandaSue wrote:
Nah, I don't believe in "soul mates." Lots of books have been written on the subject, many of which I read in the mid-90's, when I got divorced from my first husband and was devastatingly lonely.

When I read that soul mates are of the moment, and that the connection can fade when the two parties grow, I thought, "Yeah, ok, whatever," and decided that what a lot of people consider a "soul mate" is really just the excitement of new love, new lust, and fresh discovery.

As someone who has been married for 42 years, I believe in it, but more like what you said Wanda. I don't believe in the instant knowledge of it. That is more new love, lust, & discovery as you said. I think after time you grow together and grow into soul mates. If that makes any sense. LOL All I know is that each year we grow older together, my husband and I have a deeper connection and are true soul mates now. When we were younger, that connection was there, but it is nothing compared to what we are now. Growing older, raising a family and now having illness (my husband) added to the equasion has changed us and I believe it happens that way for many long time marriages too. Maybe it isn't actually "soul mates" but an awareness, an appreciation and you learn never, ever to take things for granted that you tend to do in the busy-ness of your younger years.
LizE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer probably depends on whether one actually believes in the soul, and then how one sees the soul's journey. For a person (like me) who thinks we live more than one life, it makes perfect sense to be drawn to a person as a "soul mate," or to encounter more than one soul mate in a single lifetime--or not to meet one at all. It's all about what each soul sets out to learn in an incarnation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: