AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nalini Singn Guild Hunter series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Nalini Singn Guild Hunter series Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to try this series. Does this series have to be read in order? I would like to try the lastest Archangel Blade but I don't really want start with the first book. I am in a reading slump and nothing is appealing right now. I did see this book AB and it looks interesting. Is is UF or PNR? To be honest I am not sure exactly what UF is. Does it mean there's no romance? And that each book in the series has the same H/h? If this is the case then I prefer PNR.

Thanks for your help.
Debbie
Cora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban fantasy basically means fantasy in a contemporary setting. The difference to paranormal romance is that there is more focus on worldbuilding and that there are other things going on in the novel beside the romance. And while majority of urban fantasy novels today do have romance plots, it's not required and there are some series that have very little romance. Nor is the romance plot as neatly tied up as in paranormal romance. Romances in urban fantasy usually develop and grow over several books. Sometimes there is even more than one likely love interest.

As for Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series, these books are billed as urban fantasy romance, they definitely have a strong romance plot and a resolution at the end of the first book. And they should really be read in order.
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cora for explaining it to me. I will stick with PNR. I do prefer my romance to be resolved/tied up at the end of each book.

I guess I won't be reading this series.

I wish I would get out of this reading slump.

Thanks again
Debbie
Jennifer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie,
I would strongly recommend the Guild Hunter series by Singh but you do need to start with the first book which I rated as an "A"...higher than AAR. I really, really enjoyed it. The second book is also very good. I haven't read the 3rd or 4th books yet but so far I really enjoy the series.

Have you read Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison? This was also a very, very good book and is another paranormal (first in the series).

Finally, have you read Patricia Briggs? Her Mercy Thompson series is awesome!

Best of luck getting out of your reading slump.
Take care,
J.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Archangel's Blade and liked it so much I went back and started the Guild Hunter series from the beginning. So as far as I'm concerned, you can enjoy it as a standalone book.

However, that said, I'd suggest reading at least the first book (Angel's Blood) in the series before you read AB. This gives you some back story that will help you understand AB a little better. This is because certain political/social plot points are carried over and further developed from one book to the next.
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed Archangel's Blade more than the first three. Primarily because Dmitry is a far more interesting hero than Raphael Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: