AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New York, New York...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: New York, New York... Reply with quote

... it's a helluva town -- and my husband and I are going there on our second honeymoon! My mom is staying with our son. Knock wood!

Someone tell me where all the great used bookstores are, please! And what else we shouldn't miss.
JaneO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the great used book stores used to be congregated around West Fourth Street. The Strand is still there, but not much else. Bookstores, used or new, are vanishing all over the city, just as in the rest of the country.

It's painful.

But it's a great city anyway. Some of us think it's the center of the universe, but we try not to say so too often. People seem to take offense. Wink
robiform

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willaful--the Strand is absolutely one of the greatest bookstores in the world! It's very easy to find if you're not familiar with NYC--it's on Broadway and 12th Street, just two blocks south of Union Square. You will see a cart filled with books outside the door--in my many visits to the store (beginning when I was a teenager visiting New York and my uncle took me there one Saturday morning) that cart has always been there, although of course, on each visit there have been different titles on it! Smile

Aside from the miles of used books on the main floor and the very extensive collection of books about New York, my favorite part of the Strand is the basement. There are half-price reviewers' copies of new books (most of them never opened) on the shelves, but they are arranged alphabetically by author. Not to worry, one of the staff will assist if you are looking for a book, but don't know the author's name.

One drawback--if you're looking for romance novels, there just aren't that many. I think the only time I found a romance novel there was right after Mary Jo Putney's The Marriage Spell was published in hardcover.

And yes, they will ship if you show proof that you live outside a 50-mile radius of New York City. True story--the first time I went with the shipping option (I had 10 books in my shopping bag and I knew they wouldn't fit into my suitcase!), I told the clerk I wanted to ship my purchase. The clerk replied, "Yes ma'am, and which library are you shipping these to?" I immediately concluded that the guy was psychic because at the time I was a senior librarian at a public library!! When I asked him about his ESP abilities, he laughed and said that for the most part the only people who shipped were either librarians or library assistants!
utoeid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Strand. You could spend 1/3 of your life there and never see everything they have but you can still find a Barnes and Noble here and there but unfortunately they are going the way of the great elephants. Which is stupid. You would think the city that never sleeps woule make sure that come heck or high water they woule attract 2 solid booksellers. Sad But have a great trip. That city is so magical.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I went there, but the branch library across the street from the main 5th Avenue library (with its famous lions) has a small UBS on site. And the main library is well worth the visit; it's a gorgeous building with exhibit space (I've seen exhibits on early maps and Voltaire), a nice gift shop, and interesting history. See if you can get a tour or just wander by yourself.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was going to say The Strand, but since that's already been covered.... I would suggest trying to hit a Crumbs Bakeshop while you're there for the fantastic cupcakes.
willaful

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, but my trip was back in October, no real need to resurrect this thread. Laughing
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for not looked at the date on the OP.

But in that case, how was it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: