AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

romantic movies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ojelshain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: romantic movies Reply with quote

Where to buy the 2004 movie, the Notebook? And romantic movies guaranteed to make you cry? Okay, so I'm having this girls night sorta thing, and one of my favorite romantic movies was the Notebook, and I was hoping I could BUY IT somewhere. I don't wanna rent it because I wanna keep it so I could watch it later on.. And if you have other suggestions on sad, romantic, teary, movies I can rent at Blockbuster, please feel free to share. Thankkyou!

Last edited by ojelshain on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of places to buy dvds. Your local Best Buy, Walmart or other video stores probably have it for sale. Online there are plenty of places like Deep Discount DVD, Buy.com, Best Buy, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, Amazon etc. (some with free shipping over a certain amount)

You can do a price check (including shipping and tax) of stores with:
http://www.dvdpricesearch.com

The Notebook: price check
Debra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best romantic movies I have is The Love Letter that Hallmark did. It is so good. Movie stars Campbell Scott and that make sit worth watching to!!!

Scotty Corrigan buys an antique desk and finds a Civil War-era letter inside it, written by a woman who died over a hundred years ago. Fancifully, he writes and mails a reply...only to have it reach its destination in the past. As Elizabeth and Scotty continue their remarkable correspondence, they find themselves falling in love, and more than restless about their impending, respective, marriages. Written by Kathy Li

20th century computer games designer Scott exchanges love letters with 19th century poet Elizabeth Whitcomb through an antique desk that can make letters travel through time. Written by Anonymous
LouiseM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few suggestions (some might even be on DVD).

A really old movie "The ghost and Mrs. Muir" (Rex Harrison, to give you an idea of how old it is, but very nice... and sad. Saw it as a teenager, and cried BUCKETS).

The Lake House (Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves)

Somewhere in Time. Older movie as well, although not as old as TGAMM, Christopher Reeve and ... I forgot the name of the actress, sorry....

That's all I can think of for now.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of my favorites...While You Were Sleeping.
City Of Angels.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I forgot the name of the actress, sorry....

Jane Seymor *g*

If you are looking for sad - Cold Mountain, Message in a Bottle (another Nicolas Sparks book to movie) Sommersby - all movies that I thought were real romantic crying movies that were good but I'd never watch again heh heh heh. I don't like that crying feeling . And of course Titanic, a titanic tear jerker.
Nikky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best romantic movie I have seen in a long time was an old Black & white with Greer Garson called Random Harvest. I saw it months ago and it just stays with you. Also I highly recommend Netflix!!
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristie(J) wrote:

If you are looking for sad - Cold Mountain, Message in a Bottle (another Nicolas Sparks book to movie) Sommersby - all movies that I thought were real romantic crying movies that were good but I'd never watch again heh heh heh. I don't like that crying feeling . And of course Titanic, a titanic tear jerker.

Sommersby is based on The Return of Martin Guerre, which was gorgeous and romantic and very sad at the end. It's set in medieval France and is itself based on a true story. Definitely worth getting from Netflix.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, I just stumbled onto the hauntingly romantic 1997 movie Firelight, starring Stephen Dillane and Sophie Marceau! If you're looking for a healthy dose of period romance, try this one.

Dillane and Marceau have swoon-worthy chemistry together. And the score by Christopher Gunning was hauntingly perfect. How have I never heard about this movie before? (Which, BTW, I said earlier this year about North & South.)

I'm not sure you can actually buy Firelight, as I was looking in vain to find the score...however you can catch it (as I did) either on Youtube or courtesy of the VictorianLady2's channel. It's in 9 parts.

Warning: I think more suspension of disbelief than usual is required for this movie. The story, as it unfolds, has a number of "holes" in it;a few over-the-top scenes may find you rolling your eyes; and ultimately, you may wish, as I did, that the ending had been longer and given us more information about what happens with all the characters.

Also, the hero does something in the film that may not sit well with some viewers, but that I had no trouble with under the film's circumstances.

Despite its weaknesses, the romance element of the Firelight is so compelling, the romantic in me forced me to sit there and watch the movie twice (once yesterday, once today).

If anyone else has seen this, I'd be curious as to your reaction.
ChrisReader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader said
Quote:

I saw this right after it came out on DVD (I had wanted to see it at the movies but it came and went) and I have seen it a number of times when it shows up on cable.

Like you said the plot has a lot of holes, but I always get sucked into it when it's on. I love Sophie Marceau I think she brings a lot to the role.

SPOILER**********************

Regarding what the hero does- it bothered me that he did it once it was convenient for him. For so long he built his life and everyone else's around her and then one day he decides everything must change. It seemed like everything was based around his feelings.I felt really bad for the sister in law too.

I liked the twist of how the daughter reacted when she found out. I was expecting her to be awful about it and it was a nice surprise. I think the hero didn't deserve the women in his life but overall I like it enough to watch it again every time I run into it!
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite thwarted romance movie is Stealing Heaven based on Heloise and Abelard. Second would have to be the modern Sabrina with Harrison Ford. "But I need her - and I don't need anything." <sigh>
maryskl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stl_reader wrote:
Holy cow, I just stumbled onto the hauntingly romantic 1997 movie Firelight, starring Stephen Dillane and Sophie Marceau! If you're looking for a healthy dose of period romance, try this one.

Dillane and Marceau have swoon-worthy chemistry together. And the score by Christopher Gunning was hauntingly perfect. How have I never heard about this movie before? (Which, BTW, I said earlier this year about North & South.)

I'm not sure you can actually buy Firelight, as I was looking in vain to find the score...however you can catch it (as I did) either on Youtube or courtesy of the VictorianLady2's channel. It's in 9 parts.
(cut)

I love this movie and I have bought about 4-5 copies (keep giving it as presents). They have it for sale on amazon (get region 1 or region 0). I think the region 0 version if from Korea, but it is in English and works fine on the DVD.
stl_reader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, maryskl, Thanks for the info. I did finally notice the Asian version out there.

But now I realize I really want it in widescreen format. (I saw some of the Spanish-dubbed PAL-format clips on Youtube, and to me, widescreen makes a small, but to me, important, difference.)

It looks to me like the Asian version isn't in widescreen. Still, I might have to pony up anyway. Smile
PWNN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikky wrote:
The best romantic movie I have seen in a long time was an old Black & white with Greer Garson called Random Harvest. I saw it months ago and it just stays with you. Also I highly recommend Netflix!!

Random Harvest is one of my all time favorite films. Even though both actors are a bit too old for their roles (particularly Coleman in the younger scenes) they are marvelous in it. The novel by James Hilton though not a romance is also very romantic - and quite brilliant.
graceC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I classify romantic stories (books or movies) into 2 categories: those with a Happy Ending and those with a.. ahem,, "bitter-sweet" ending.

For bitter-sweet endings, here are my recs:
1) a French movie with Gerard Depardeu (pardon my spelling): Cyrano de Bergerac. This was remade into an American romantic comedy called "Roxanne" by Steve Martin and Daryl Hannah (not so good as the original).
2) a period movie set in China with Naomi Watts and Edward Norton: The Painted Veil. The movie is really superb (the plot, the characters and their acting, the scenery) with a haunting story.
3) Titanic with Leonardo di Caprio
4) Ghost with Demi Moore

With Happy Endings:
1) Pride & Prejudice (I like the movie better with Kiera Knightley, perhaps because it's less dragging than the BBC mini-series)
2) Firelight with Sophie Marceau (already recommended by other posters above)
3) BBC mini-series: North & South with Richard Armitage
4) A western love story based on a book called: The Outsider with Naomi Watts

That's it for now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: