A Match Made for Thanksgiving
Grade : A-

I used to say I was a sucker for Christmas romances. However, I’ve realized that I just love holiday romances in general. I simply love getting a window into the joy of people’s celebrations. I was looking for a happy read this month, and A Match Made for Thanksgiving delivered. This was a very fun read indeed.

So many holiday romances feature people in the city moving back to their small towns and marrying the sheriff. Jackie Lau plays with the small-town romance tropes a bit in this story. Her hero, Nick Wong, is perfectly happy to stay in Toronto. While he is going back to Mosquito Bay for Thanksgiving, he isn’t exactly aching to stay there and give up city living.

When Nick gets back for Thanksgiving, he learns a plot is afoot. His family has set him and his three siblings up with dates for Thanksgiving dinner. The pairings are mostly hilariously wrong, but who did Nick’s brother Greg get set up with? None other than Lily Tseng, a one-night stand that Nick just can’t get out of his mind.

Neither Nick nor Lily is looking for a committed relationship, but I loved seeing how they got thrown together in this story. The chemistry is believable, and I liked that they actually try to be honest with each other even when their feelings are all over the place.

If you’re looking for something upbeat for the holidays, the tone of this story is perfect. While there’s strong emotion in this story (including Lily’s grief over her father’s death), there is also a lot of humor woven in. The Thanksgiving dinner itself, when Nick is trying to get through an awkward dinner while fantasizing about his brother’s date, is a great scene. “Conversation was not flowing naturally, ” indeed!

After reading lots of American-focused holiday books, it was fun to vicariously experience Canadian Thanksgiving. My only complaint, if you could call it that, was that there isn’t even more to this story. If you’re looking for a fun, sexy holiday read, I highly recommend this lovely novella.

Reviewed by Lynn Spencer
Grade : A-

Sensuality: Warm

Review Date : December 21, 2022

Publication Date: 10/2019

Recent Comments …

1. Except for the obvious adult situations, Astrid sounds like she has the maturity of a child with the “no hockey…

Lynn Spencer

I enjoy spending as much time as I can between the covers of a book, traveling through time and around the world. When I'm not having adventures with fictional characters, I'm an attorney in Virginia and I love just hanging out with my husband, little man, and the cat who rules our house.
Subscribe
Notify of

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
What's your opinion?x
()
x