AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11 in 2011: Two Ways to Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler (Take 3)
3 Books that have been in your TBR more than six months
Dangerous Temptation by Kathleen Korbel:
This book has been in my TBR pile since he came out in 2006. I have started in numerous times over the years, but always end up putting it back. While I may be disenchanted when a romance author decides to go in a different direction with their writing, I am also a firm believer that it’s their choice. But would someone please explain to me why they choose to do so within an established series? Jake’s Way is one of my favorite Korbel books. And while the rest of the Kendall family stories aren’t favorites, I did enjoy them. This book is about the last brother, Zeke. The rest of the Kendall family books are firmly rooted in reality but then his book, in addition to be the final entry in the Kendall family series, is also book one in the author’s Daughters of Myth trilogy for Silhouette Nocturne. It’s very much a paranormal about faeries and does not fit IMO with the other books in the series at all. When I started the book again for the umpteenth time I was determined to read it as if it was just book one in a new trilogy and ignore the connection to the previous books. Even then, it’s taken many several weeks to finish it as it just didn’t hold my interest, though it finally picks up a bit halfway through. So much of the story is spent describing the faerie world and its politics rather than on the romance. And I could have done without the heroine’s mother’s multiple attempts to seduce the hero. The romance was meh. But it succeeds on the basic level as the first of a trilogy because the two sisters interest me enough I will read their books. Maybe. Eventually as they’re in my TBR pile too (yes, I am trying to talk myself into it). Sadly, both as a romance and as the end of the Kendall family series it’s a definite disappointment.

At the Movies Challenge: 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge: 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge (Revisited): 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge (Take 3): 10 down, 1 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler (Take 3)
2 Books that are from an expired line
Spellbound by Jayne Castle (Candlelight Ecstasy) :
Another old category that would have benefited from the hero’s POV. The heroine wants to break up with her just-discovered-he’s-a-criminal boyfriend so she convinces the hero to pose as a new love interest in lieu of her calling in the $30k loan his father owed hers. This book is dated by the eighties clothing descriptions, but it was fun to read a book where the hero is only an inch taller than the heroine. Her keeping secrets in the first half and his I-know-what’s-best-for-you attitude are somewhat annoying though. Thankfully neither last that long.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 3): 11 down, 0 to go…

I may regret it with the holidays coming up, but since there’s still three months to go in the year I am challenging myself to another round.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderous Strange
Lesley Livingston
B-

Kelly never knew she was different till she met the boy. But Sonny Flannery plucks her from her ordinary world of auditions and straight into the world of the Fey folk during Samhain.

The tale is good, the cover utterly lovely. But it ddin't grab me and scream "Read My Sequel".

maggie b.

At tho Movies, 11 down O to go
The Whittler, 11 down to go
The Whittler Revisited, 11 down 0 to go
The Whittler, third times the charm, 11 down, 0 to go

library addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler (Take 4)
2 Books that you got on sale
A Colton Family Christmas by Judy Christenberry/Linda Turner/Carolyn Zane:
It’s been 10 years since I read the original multi-author Coltons mini-series and I confess I remember little about it. This anthology is set in Georgetown, where the new home of one of the Colton’s is overrun with terrorists from a fictional country during a wedding reception. In Judy Christenberry’s novella, The Diplomat’s Daughter, the I-will-never-marry hero falls instantly in love with the heroine after meeting her at the drycleaners and having a ten second conversation with her. He actually tells his family he’s getting married when he doesn’t even know her name Rolling Eyes I am not often bothered by the rushed pace of novellas, but that was a bit too much for me. Plus, the author’s writing style just didn’t gel for me. Linda Turner’s novella, Take No Prisoners, is the strongest entry in the anthology. The h/h are ex-spouses. She’s the FBI hostage negotiator and he’s a member of the SWAT team. Once their initial reactions about having to work together are done—each reacts rather childishly to the situation—the hostage plot becomes the focus of the story. While we’re told repeatedly they are both very good at their jobs, we’re not really shown that. She comes off as quite ineffectual and actually goes to meet with the terrorists in person at one point, even as she tells herself it’s a stupid thing to do. And he’s never shown doing much of anything other than standing around until the end and those events occur off page. But on the romance side, they each take responsibility for the actions which destroyed their marriage: his sense of possessiveness, her sense of insecurity, and both of them failing to communicate effectively. So while the hostage plot comes off as rather silly, the romance works. Carolyn Zane’s novella, Juliet of the Night, recaps events from the bride’s sister’s POV before shifting to the aftermath and the hero’s recovery from being shot in the back. Unfortunately the heroine falls into the TSTL category and their story was rather tedious.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 1 down, 10 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I’ve made a pretty good dent in all the old Jayne Ann Krentz categories in my TBR pile with the other rounds in the challenge, I decided to switch to some of the old Nora Roberts books I have in my TBR pile this time. I’ve read a much greater percentage of NR’s backlist than I have of JAK’s so there aren’t quite as many of them Laughing

2 Books that are part of a beloved authors back list
Unfinished Business by Nora Roberts:
I have to wonder if they all cared so much, why the heroine’s mother and other folks in town didn’t make more of an effort to keep in touch with her. And why the heroine never once called her bff (I get why she never called her mother). The hero was a selfish jerk at times. I would have been much happier if he’d been the one to make the grand gesture at the end, rather the heroine. Not really a bad book, but given how much I enjoy many of the author’s other categories, this one is no where near favorite territory. The highlight for me was the appearance of Princess Gabriella from Affaire Royale.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 2 down, 9 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Book that was a gift or 1 Impulse Buy
Grave Silence by Elisa Adams:
Bought this book because of the blurb. It has a slow start, the writing was repetitive and stilted at times, and the plot was extremely convoluted. But the mystery was compelling and I liked the h/h a lot, even if they both behaved erratically at times. The twist in the story could have made the romance unsatisfying if it hadn’t been fairly obvious from the beginning.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 3 down, 8 to go…
karat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to go for a second round of the "At the Movies!" challenge, this time selecting different alternatives in each category, when possible. With some late reporting, here it goes:
At the Movies!
Category 4: Ultimate challenge - Military Movie

Any two books dealing with soldiers or war

Hot Target by Suzanne Brockmann
Cosmo Ritcher is a Navy SEAL. He is on vacation and is hired to help his friends from Troubleshooters Inc. (a private security agency, featured in other books from this series) to protect a movie director, Jane Chadwick. She has received death threats due to the theme of her new movie.
I did not like Jane very much, and could not empathize with her, so the book did not work well for me.

I had better luck with my 2nd choice for this category:
With This Ring by Carla Kelly
What can I say? Carla Kelly gets me every time. I cried and laughed and got really involved in this great story. Samuel Reed is a veteran major, wounded at the Battle of Toulouse in 1814. He meets Lydia Perkins at an improvised camp for injured soldiers, and they start a journey that will change both of their lives dramatically. Sam and Lydia are another great of Kelly's couples: complex characters, full of qualities and a couple of flaws, and just made for each other. Loved it!

Last edited by karat on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
karat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing with my late reporting:
At the Movies!
Category 2: Now Showing - Period Piece with a Twist

Sweet 16: 1 book published the year/decade you turned 16 (in my case, it's the 80s)

A Risk Worth Taking by Kathleen Gilles Seidel (1983, Harlequin American Romance)
I have discovered Kathleen Gilles Seidel after reading recommendations here at AAR. One of her books, Till the Stars Fall, is one of my Top 5 romances, and I have also loved Again and Summer's End. Her stories and characters feel so real, that I have once told a friend that if they produced Dodd Hall's records (Dodd Hall is the fictional rock band in Till the Stars), I would buy them on the spot (yes, Siedel made me want to have records by a fictional band that only exists in a book - she is THAT good).
Since she no longer writes romance books, and most of her books are OOP and not available in digital format, I save any book of hers that I find at used book stores to read when I have plenty of time to enjoy it.
The last one I was able to pick from my "savings" pile was A Risk Worth Taking. In this book, Bret has married Jess to protect her from an awful situation at her home, but they marriage was planned to be a marriage of convenience from the start. Of course, they fall in love with each other, but it takes years to act upon their feelings.
I liked the book, but not as much as other books by Siedel I read before. This one felt a little bit dated (well, I should expect it from a book from the 80s, but still...). What I really did not like was Bret's behavior towards Jess. I enjoy a "super alpha" hero as much as anyone from time to time, but that's not the type of hero I expect from Siedel's books. On the positive side, some traces of would become her future writing were clearly shown at the book: Jess is a country singer, and her songs, and experiences on the road felt like a prelude to what the author would write in later books. I would not buy Jess's records, though... but just because country music is really not my favorite Laughing

Last edited by karat on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
karat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Movies!
Category 2: Now Showing - Period Piece with a Twist

Birthday Book: 1 book published the year/decade you were born (the 70s)

Aunt Sophie's Diamonds by Joan Smith (1977)
I have read that Joan Smith followed Georgette Heyer's style in her regencies, so I decided to get one of her books that have become available as ebooks. And since I needed a book written on the 70s for this category, I was happy to give Aunt Sophie's Diamonds a try. I really liked it! It definitely reminded me of Heyer's style, but Joan Smith has her own voice, with a lot of humor, a great smart and sarcastic hero, a charming heroine and interesting secondary characters. I will certainly read other of her books in the future.

Happy 21st: 1 book published the year/decade you turned 21 (the 90s)
Knight's Ransom by Suzanne Barclay (1996, Harlequin Historicals)
The first romance books I ever read were Harlequin Historicals by Miranda Jarret, Ruth Langan and Suzanne Barclay, back in the 90s. I used to love Barclay books and bought used books through Amazon to be able to get all of her books in her Shuterland/Carmichael series. However, over the years, I started reading more and more single titles instead of category romances, and went back to Harlequin Historicals only from time to time, with mixed results. But I had fond memories from my first romance books, so it was a pleasant surprise to discover that Harlequin was making several books from the 90s available as ebooks with Harlequin Treasury. I went back through memory lane with a vengeance, and got several books from this collection. Knight's Ransom was one of them.
Unfortunately, this book did not lived up to my expectations, or to what I remembered from Barclay's writing. The heroine was almost TSTL, the hero was at times too stubborn, and the plot way too predictable. It might be that my tastes have changed over the years, or that my memories from my 90s readings were too "rosy", but this book was an overall disappointment... I have a couple of other books from my Harlequin Treasury shopping spree, and I hope to enjoy them better than I liked Knight's Ransom.
library addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I’ve done 2 rounds of The Whittler with “3 Books that have been in your TBR more than six months” I decided to go back to the “3 books in a series” option for this round.
3 books in a series Good Girls Don’t/Bad Boys Do/Real Men Will by Victoria Dahl: I was not a fan of Dahl’s Talk Me Down, but really enjoyed her novella in the Midnight Kiss anthology so looked forward to her Donovan Brothers Brewery series.

Good Girls Don’t is about the youngest sibling and lone sister, Tessa. She’s got abandonment issues and often lies to her brothers in an effort to keep family peace. While I didn’t agree with her methods, I thought the author did a good job of making me understood why she did so. Plus her brothers started off as real jerks in this novel. I enjoyed the love story between Tessa and Luke. He’s a cop investigating a break-in at the family brewery and has a lot of emotional baggage of his own. He is also a college friend of Jamie’s, the brother who is hero of book 2, though Jaime doesn’t behave very friendly at all toward Luke in this book. At least Luke called Jamie out on his unfriendly behavior. The way everyone in town believed the rumors about Luke seemed forced to me. Tessa & Luke are by far my favorite couple of the trilogy. I just wish their book had been more about them and less about the brewery and set-up for the next two books. Then again, that’s often the case in the first book of trilogies.

After being such a jerk toward both his sister and supposed friend, Luke, in book 1, I didn’t know what to make of Jamie. But I quite liked him in his book, Bad Boys Do. I also really liked the heroine, Olivia. I thought she had the most emotional depth of all the lead characters. I did get a bit exasperated her when she kept thinking of Jamie as shallow though. Their book is my favorite, mostly because it concentrates much more on the relationship between the h/h which the first book would have benefited from. Sadly, Jamie reverts back to jerk-mode in book 3 which somewhat mars the second book for me.

The love story between the h/h of Real Men Will actually starts in the prequel novella ”Just One Taste” in The Guy Next Door anthology. The hero was quickly way over in the negative column for me as he doesn’t correct the heroine when she mistakenly believes he is his brother Jaime. A “charade” he continues throughout the novella. He goes on pretending to be his brother and they have a one-night stand. I felt his reason for continuing the charade wasn‘t a valid one at all (unlike his sister who I thought had some justification for keeping her brothers in the dark in the first full length book). The whole scenario made him come off as a complete creep. He improves somewhat in his own book, but that doesn’t really make up for him being so mean to his brother and his sister, albeit a lesser extent, in the first two books. While I didn’t dislike Beth, I found her story arc rather dull. And then she makes such a foolish decision near the end of the book, but at least she acknowledges that it was a mistake almost immediately. My main problem with book 3 is I felt no vested interest in the h/h’s relationship.

I did enjoy the trilogy despite the numerous problems I had with it.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 6 down, 5 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Books that are part of a beloved authors back list
Second Nature by Nora Roberts:
I had problems getting into this book given the implausible premise (recluse writer is ultra-successful despite never giving interviews, no book tours, and no author bio or picture on his books). It was hard to feel any sympathy toward either the hero or heroine when they are both using the other at the beginning. Once they each figure out what the other is up to, and the hero dares the heroine to accompany him on a camping trip, the story improves. I didn’t find either character to be particularly likeable for much of the story and by the time I warmed up to them both the book was almost over. I did enjoy the scenes with the hero’s daughter. I just wish more of the story had been centered around events after the big reveal.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 7 down, 4 to go…
karat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Movies!
Category 1: New Releases (aka New-to-Me Authors)

Choose one book each from three authors whose work you have never read

As a coincidence, my 3 books here were about reunited couples. This is a plot I particularly like, but only one of these books really grabbed me.

His Secret Duchess by Gayle Wilson
Another 90s book from Harlequin Treasury. I liked it better than my previous HT book (Knight's Ransom), but not by much.
Nick Stanton, son of the Duke of Vail, married Mary Winters, the vicar's daughter, in a secret wedding, before going back to war. Due to a Big Misunderstanding, they are set apart, and only able to find each other years later. In the meanwhile, Mary had to make very difficult choices to be able to raise their son (Nick had no idea she was pregnant when he left). The book had some good moments, but overall it was quite average. Plot is overused, of course, and the writing felt dated, but I was able to at least empathize with the characters.

Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force
This book was an e-book bargain at Amazon (one of those $0.99 promotions). The plot sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try.
Ryan Sanderson is a football superstar, and fighting hard to get his ex-wife, Susannah, back. After her marriage felt apart, Susannah wants to try and be happy with someone else, and is now engaged to Henry Merrill. However, she, of course had never truly stopped loving Ryan. This was not at all a memorable book. I would give it a C, tops.

So, Gayle Wilson and Marie Force were New-to-Me Authors whose other books I will probably not be searching to read. The third author, however, has been already included on my "to buy" list:

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins
Quote:
From Amazon / Publisher's Weekly: Higgins gives likable divorce attorney Harper James a second chance at love in this funny, poignant romance. Harper is horrified when her stepsister, Willa, announces that she's marrying the brother of Harper's ex-husband, Nick Lowery. Harper and Nick married young, and while their relationship quickly flamed out, the spark between them never really died. Due to a travel snafu after Willa's wedding, Harper and Nick are forced to journey across the country together. Soon, Harper is examining the reasons their marriage failed, her unresolved feelings for Nick, and her abandonment issues.

What a great book! I laughed, cried, and could not read it fast enough to know what happened to Harper and Nick in the past, why did their marriage fail, and how could they fix things and get back together. I particularly liked two things about the book: 1) even though the book is written in first person, from Harper's point of view, Higgings is able to make us readers really understand the depth and intensity of Nick's love for Harper, and it is heartbreaking. 2) I could really put myself on Harper's shoes. Even when she is not very nice at the beginning, I could understand where she was coming from. And it was great to see her become more insightful, and make the right choices as the book evolved. Loved it!
karat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Movies!
Category 3: Wildcard!
People’s Choice Award

A review/Four Stars etc. on website/magazine
New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb
I have read somewhere that people usually enjoy series such as the "In Death" series because they feel like they are reconnecting with old acquaintances and getting to know what is going on with their lives. This is somewhat true for me with the "In Death" books: I really like to see how the relationship between Eve Dallas and Roarke keeps evolving, and most of the secondary characters are still interesting to me. In my view, New York to Dallas was a great book for the fans of the series, since we could not only revisit the characters, but were able to see major events that were very relevant to Eve's life.

Bookstore Recommend
Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn
I discovered Deanna Raybourn and the Julia Grey Mystery books on my previous round of this challenge, and this 2nd book in the series kept showing up in my Amazon recommendations.
I loved this book! What a great follow up to Silent on the Grave, with the same combination of a very well written mystery with a great romantic couple from the 1st book. It is incredible how well Raybourn describes the complex and fascinating relationship between Lady Julia Gray and the mysterious Nicholas Brisbaine. And the images of a snowy Holidays at the Abbey were described so vividly that they stayed in my head long after I had finished the book. I already got the next book in the series, and I am waiting for a long weekend to read it with no interruptions!

Recommended by Other Readers
Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James
James was another author that I discovered in the previous round of the challenge, and I bought 2 other books by her after reading Something About You. I took Practice Makes Perfect out of my TBR after seeing a recent recommendation from PWNN on the "Zingy dialogue recommendations" thread here at AAR. I liked it a lot! Here is a summary, from Amazon:
Quote:
Opposites collide when two lawyers try to make partner at the same firm. Payton Kendall is a feminist to the bone. Cocky J.D. Jameson was born privileged. But when they’re asked to join forces on a major case, they gain a newfound awareness of each other’s personal assets. The partnership spot will be offered to only one of them, though. The competition heats up. Sparks fly. Let the games begin.

I could totally relate to the situations lived by Payton on her way to make partner, since I have recently been through a similar path on my career. And I love how the author solved the final conflict in the book! Great funny read!

Last edited by karat on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
karat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that was it for my second round of the At the Movies! challenge...

Favorite book on this round: Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn
Favorite Contemporary: My One and Only by Kristan Higgins
Favorite Historical (other than Silent in the Sanctuary): With This Ring by Carla Kelly
Least favorite book on this round: Line of Scrimmage by Marie Force
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Books that are from an expired line
Risky Business by Nora Roberts (Silhouette Intimate Moments):
A meandering adventure/suspense set in Mexico. The hero is out to avenge his twin brother’s murder. The heroine is a single mother who owns the dive shop the brother worked at when he was killed. I had trouble liking the heroine as she is stubborn just to be stubborn and I couldn’t reconcile her sending her daughter to live with her parents during the school year with her reasons for living in Mexico in the first place. The main bad guy was pretty obvious. but spoiler I did enjoy the twist at the end.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 8 down, 3 to go…
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: