AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Recent Movie You Watched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw two movies last week--The Guard and Our Idiot Brother. The Guard is an Irish film about a crabby policeman and an American FBI agent who have to work together on a case in the cop's hometown and a lot of the dialogue was difficult to follow at times--with a little Gaelic thrown in for good measure!--but it was certainly different than most of the mainstream films out there. Mark Strong is in it and is pretty funny.

Our Idiot Brother was surprisingly good--not at all what I expected. The idiot in this case is a brother (an organic farmer who goes to jail for selling pot to a policeman) who is so unfailingly honest that he puts his whole family in turmoil. Paul Rudd is such a wonderful actor that he made his character so endearing and lovable it raised up the whole movie. This isn't a version of Dumb and Dumber by any means.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
cheri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridesmaid...my DIL loved it and my daughter has seen it 3 times. They are bringing to our cabin this weekend. I can't wait to see it. I've heard it is hysterical.
Loved The Help too. Saw it again yesterday.[/quote]

Xina , let me know what you think. I went with my mother to see it ages ago and both of us surprisingly liked it. I mean seriously funny. cheri
angela

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane Eyre (2011) - This has my favorite Rochester..I love Michael Fassbender. My only complaint is it ended suddenly and wished it was longer. I think I was spoiled by the Jane Eyre version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens,which was pretty long.

Just recently watched the BBC's North and South. Wow...I LOVED this miniseries. Richard Armitage is awesome...wow..he is so intense and just what I picture a lot of my historical romance hero's would look and act like.

Ethan Frome- not too bad. I love Liam Neeson in most everything he acts in. I'm kinda torn on this movie. I was entertained but not sure I'd ever go back and watch it. The ending surprised me ( I didn't read the book) . Do you root for this couple when what they are doing is wrong morally? Yet you felt sorry for Ethan and Mattie. Again I'm still not sure how I feel about this movie..lol
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:

Xina , let me know what you think. I went with my mother to see it ages ago and both of us surprisingly liked it. I mean seriously funny. cheri

I will cheri!
Nicole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lion King in 3D. It was amazing.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One for the money trailer -

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810168438/video/26714574

Linda
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,

That looks incredible. Can't wait to see it

Maggie
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, I don't care for some of the casting (Joe especially) but it looks funny!

Today I went to see Abduction with my 15 year old son, I made him go with me since my daughter is now away at college, lol. He ended up liking it and so did I! Taylor Lautner is going to go far, he makes a great action hero.

Linda
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched "Everything Must Go" with Will Ferrell yesterday. Sort of depressing but well done.

Today watched "Hanna" with Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett. Action packed and very watchable. Excellent music score too.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Maggie, I don't care for some of the casting (Joe especially) but it looks funny!

Linda

I agree. I think Daniel Sunjata as Ranger is a good choice, but Jason O'Mara as Morelli needs darker hair and he's not (IMHO) goodlooking enough. Of course, YMMV.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:

Today I went to see Abduction with my 15 year old son, I made him go with me since my daughter is now away at college, lol. He ended up liking it and so did I! Taylor Lautner is going to go far, he makes a great action hero.

Linda

I think the funny part is what drew me in. I will adapt to the casting. Twilight wasn't cast the way I wanted it to be and when I found out who was playing Peeta in Hunger Games I almost cried. I normally find myself liking the movies anyway

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money Ball
Grade: B

I expected to love this film as baseball is the one sport I actually know something about. However, it lacked the feel good aspect of Blind Side and was just not as emotionally gripping as other sports films like Glory Road or even Major League. Well done, well acted, well written but it lacked heart.

maggie b.
Nicole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan/DC wrote:
Linda in sw va wrote:

Linda

I agree. I think Daniel Sunjata as Ranger is a good choice, but Jason O'Mara as Morelli needs darker hair and he's not (IMHO) goodlooking enough. Of course, YMMV.

Is anyone else bothered by Katherine Heigle's fake Jersey accent? It feels totally not right. Obviously it's not as horrific as Anne Hathaway's British accent in One Day, but there is no way Heigle can pass as a Jersey girl.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Money Ball
Grade: B

I expected to love this film as baseball is the one sport I actually know something about. However, it lacked the feel good aspect of Blind Side and was just not as emotionally gripping as other sports films like Glory Road or even Major League. Well done, well acted, well written but it lacked heart.

I agree with a lot of this. I enjoyed it. Good, intriguing story and acting and I love that it was based on real history/facts. But it was long and somewhat slow, and it wasn't particularly emotional or inspirational or uplifting.

Sports movies are so often about the triumph of the spirit -- think of Miracle or Chariots of Fire or Invincible or Secretariat. There's something very uplifting about them (which is one of the reasons I invariably cry during sports movies). This movie didn't really have that. Which I guess makes sense in a way: Billy Beane took a risk and "re-thought" the game based not on heart or spirit but on cold analysis and statistics.

It was certainly easy to cheer for the underdog A's, but it was also frustrating for me as a viewer to see the portrayal of their team divided. I have no idea if the movie was fair and accurate with respect to its portrayal of Art Howe, but I really detested him, and it frustrated me that Beane took so long to stand up to him (or figure out a way to work around him).

My favorite parts were around Scott Hatteburg, the player with nerve damage who the A's picked up to play first base. That scene when he's first introduced -- at home, depressed, and you can see the worry he and his wife have -- was very touching, which made his big climactic scene even more so. And I found it very admirable that Billy Beane refused to make decisions based on money alone.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:

It was certainly easy to cheer for the underdog A's, but it was also frustrating for me as a viewer to see the portrayal of their team divided. I have no idea if the movie was fair and accurate with respect to its portrayal of Art Howe, but I really detested him, and it frustrated me that Beane took so long to stand up to him (or figure out a way to work around him).

I was thrilled when he figured out how to work around Howe as well.

Niftybergin wrote:

My favorite parts were around Scott Hatteburg, the player with nerve damage who the A's picked up to play first base. That scene when he's first introduced -- at home, depressed, and you can see the worry he and his wife have -- was very touching, which made his big climactic scene even more so. And I found it very admirable that Billy Beane refused to make decisions based on money alone.

I loved the Hatteburg scenes especially when he and his wife and daugher are in a group hug after Bean and the first base coach leave the house. You could just see their relief at having a salary still coming in the door. So reminiscent of what so many are going through today. Equally awesome was when he was in the lockerroom with the David Justice talking about his biggest fear - somebody throwing a ball at him, lol. And then finally when he hit the ball and got a home run in the 20th game. Super cool.

I think if the story had been told from Hatteburg's perspective it might have had the heart it missed.

Also, just to add I think it is awful that people only care about the last game. The A's kept making it to the playoff's - pretty darn good in my book. The way everyone was bawling over their losses - for crying out loud they ought to try being a Cub's fan.

maggie b.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: