AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Me and Mine (Gay Priest Romance) - By Sarah Goodwin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the age was not a hook for you, Linda. Really. I'm just saying it might be for others. The priest angle is a hook for some, the m/m is another for others, and the boy being a teen instead of a 20-something is yet another, otherwise it wouldn't be a part of the story. Every book that has a teen protagonist has it for some reason. I just think that this book is no different. I guess the author would have to provide the reason for this book.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
I haven't been here for a few days and I'm a little surprised to see so much discussion on this book. Honestly, when I saw the OP I immediately assumed that it was the author. Just an observation. Don't know if I'm right or wrong, but authors raving about and defending their own books is out of control at Amazon and to a lesser degree at Goodreads. Quite possibly my inner cynic is wrong, but I'd hate to see AAR reader boards (safe haven!) abused. Lee asked the OP if she is the author. I'd like to see HideNothing respond.

Diana, I've come to think it's likely that the OP is the author of the book, though I don't think that would change the point of view for either side of the discussion.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed the discussion very much! So while I don't want to see authors posing as readers (with no personal stake in sales) on these boards, I'm glad the topic was brought up, I miss having more of these 'lively' discussions here.

Linda
desiderata

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also assuming the OP is the author as he/she didn't address Lee's direct question.

Other than that, the premise sounds horrid to me, completely unromantic and unsexy. I don't find it romantic when priests abandon their vows, whether it be in Thornbirds or in this book. I also cannot get past the remnants of the abuse scandal here in the U.S. -- people refer to it as child abuse or pedophilia, but in reality the victims were mostly adolescent to late adolescent -- uncomfortably close to the 17 year old character's age.
xina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
I haven't been here for a few days and I'm a little surprised to see so much discussion on this book. Honestly, when I saw the OP I immediately assumed that it was the author. Just an observation. Don't know if I'm right or wrong, but authors raving about and defending their own books is out of control at Amazon and to a lesser degree at Goodreads. Quite possibly my inner cynic is wrong, but I'd hate to see AAR reader boards (safe haven!) abused. Lee asked the OP if she is the author. I'd like to see HideNothing respond.

I think she is. Clue#1...only 6 posts.. If not the author, then her mother...or sister, or really good friend.
Wendy AAR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Diana wrote:

I think she is. Clue#1...only 6 posts.. If not the author, then her mother...or sister, or really good friend.

Yep, I thought that too, as soon as I saw the original post. I intended to ignore it until I saw a lot of replies and got curious as to what was being said.
I hope whoever it is doesn't consider all this back and forth "buzz about the book".
Sandy AAR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Author's Posts Reply with quote

If she is the author, then posting anonymously to promote your own book is not allowed on this message board. The correct board (and not anonymously) is the Writer's Board.

If we haven't heard from the author of the original post by the end of today, we will move this conversation to the Writer's Board.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we haven't heard from the author of the original post by the end of today, we will move this conversation to the Writer's Board.

Pity, in a way, because it's an interesting discussion.

I don't really have any problem with a 17 year old falling in love with a much older character - my feeling is that Heyer has several very young heroines.

But, as everyone else has said, it's how the issues of the priest's responsibility are handled. If it's set now, you have to wonder how:

Quote:
They talked to each other as equals, read books, watched movies or TV, and prepared meals together. This went on for months, and it was during this time that the younger turned eighteen.

I work for a couple of church organisations, and I'm not allowed to be alone in a room with a child - you're not allowed to give a child a lift home in a car by yourself. I can't imagine it's different in the Catholic church.

Quote:
This went on for months, and it was during this time that the younger turned eighteen. To me, the issue of the priest abusing his position of authority had greatly faded by this point. They were friends.

I supppose, Catgrace, that whole process is where the priest abuses his position of authority - even if he was a minister, happily married with teenage children himself, he shouldn't be befriending any teenager in quite that way.

Having said that - it wouldn't put me off the book. I can root for a character that has done the wrong thing.
jebe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Author's Posts Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:
If she is the author, then posting anonymously to promote your own book is not allowed on this message board.

It's so duplicitous. I never would've suspected, you ladies are much more board-savvy than I. Confused
catgrace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
I supppose, Catgrace, that whole process is where the priest abuses his position of authority - even if he was a minister, happily married with teenage children himself, he shouldn't be befriending any teenager in quite that way.

Having said that - it wouldn't put me off the book. I can root for a character that has done the wrong thing.

I like that aspect of stories, too. Redemption of people who feel they've done something can be very powerful, although I'm not a fan of groveling.

I don't describe things very well. I hope I haven't ruined the story for anyone who is interested in reading it. I was only breaking my usual lurkdom to try to explain that this story did not come across as abusive to me.

I was hoping that someone else besides the OP would read it too, since it's nice to discuss specifics on a board, or gain insights or whatever from other people. While I have no connection to the OP and/or author, I also had the impression that they were at least connected. I saw no reason to let that stop me from reading it, though. Smile

I guess I really am in the minority in finding this topic fascinating as a premise. I like forbidden romance but dislike reading erotica, since plot and character development fall second to endless physical description. I also have a hard time with exaggerated or trumped up reasons for not being together, which is more common in my usual genre, historical romance.
BlackenedVoodoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:

I agree. It's been fascinating to read and it'll probably get lost in the writer section.
desiderata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They talked to each other as equals, read books, watched movies or TV, and prepared meals together. This went on for months ... they were friends.

Or, in child welfare and law enforcement language, the predator's grooming of his victim was complete. He had flattered the victim by treating him as an equal, even though because of their age differences and the discrepancy in life experience and social position they wouldn't normally be considered peers. He had gained the victim's trust and affection, initially because he was someone from whom the victim sought counseling, and was now ready for the relationship to take on a sexual dimension.

The age difference, the position of trust and authority, the relationship starting when the younger character is a minor, the fact that the younger character is troubled and confused about his sexual orientation -- it all strikes me as too exploitative to be a romance.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catgrace wrote:
[I guess I really am in the minority in finding this topic fascinating as a premise. I like forbidden romance but dislike reading erotica, since plot and character development fall second to endless physical description. I also have a hard time with exaggerated or trumped up reasons for not being together, which is more common in my usual genre, historical romance.

I'm in the minority here with you, I think it sounds intriguing! If I had a Kindle I would probably pick it up. Erotica/Romantica has always been more daring with plot lines and for a while this is what I mainly purchased. Ironic because I often skip through sex scenes, it was just nice to have something different and to take a break from the constant stream of 'PC'.

Linda
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the OP was the author from the very first as the first post was the posters first. I didn't respond as the whole storyline gave me a very squicky feeling..

It's a shame if the OP is the author as I say that's dirty pool.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or, in child welfare and law enforcement language, the predator's grooming of his victim was complete. He had flattered the victim by treating him as an equal, even though because of their age differences and the discrepancy in life experience and social position they wouldn't normally be considered peers. He had gained the victim's trust and affection, initially because he was someone from whom the victim sought counseling, and was now ready for the relationship to take on a sexual dimension.

The age difference, the position of trust and authority, the relationship starting when the younger character is a minor, the fact that the younger character is troubled and confused about his sexual orientation -- it all strikes me as too exploitative to be a romance.

I've only read about half of the book, so no overall opinion yet, but that does take me past the early relationship.

FWIW, that isn't the way the relationship is written - it's not the older man preying on the younger one.
I'd say there's a much larger failure on the part of the priest than I would have taken from Catgrace's description, in that he knows from the start that the boy has a sexual interest in him, and he also realises that he feels an attraction back. But it's not written that he's a sexual predator - more that he's an innocent who has repressed what he believes are sinful tendencies, and when the teenager confesses their obsession with him he makes all the wrong choices.

I'm wondering - and I'm midway through the book, and it is just a guess - if the conflict in the latter half of the book may be about the way their relationship started. In a way, about the issues this thread has been discussing. In the minds of the main characters, it's a love story, but now they've met again could they ever be accepted as a couple, given how their relationship began? (Slight spoiler, but the first friend that the now-grown teen confides in basically makes all Desiderata's points.)

@catgrace - I'll probably be ready to discuss specifics soon. Very Happy
Diana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackenedVoodoo wrote:
MMcA wrote:
Quote:

I agree. It's been fascinating to read and it'll probably get lost in the writer section.

Which is probably why the (presumed, since she hasn't responded) author didn't want to post it there. Smile However anyone else who wants to continue the discussion can copy/paste their comments and start a new thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: