AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Of interest?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Of interest? Reply with quote

An interesting article--"Is This the End of Books?"--is in the Guardian today.
Cora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article in question can be found here by the way, if anyone doesn't feel like clicking through that Guardian website.

I find it a bit overly alarmistic. e-books and e-readers are great (disclosure: I've published some e-books myself). But I still read about 90 percent print books and that's not going to change anytime soon. I believe that e-books and print books will reach some kind of equilibrium in the next few years.

Besides, while in the US the market share of e-books is around 15% to 20%, depending on who you talk to, it's much lower in many other countries. In the Netherlands it's 1.7%, which is actually one of the higher figures for Western Europe. In Germany it's around 0.5% and has been for two years or so.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me as a bit alarmist too. I like both ebooks and print books both. People are not going to stop reading print books because ebooks are available just like people have not stopped going outside because they can sit inside and watch documentaries on television. What amuses me is how defensive both sides can get. On another forum I'm on someone asked for ideas for ads to answer the cool ereader ads (Kindle maybe?) that are on now. The whole thread ended up being about how ereaders really are better. It was funny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: