AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North & South - Richard Armitage/John Thornton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: North & South - Richard Armitage/John Thornton Reply with quote

I can't thank all of you enough for commenting on the North & South series. I don't know where I was in 2005 to have missed this great series.

I didn't think anything could rival P&P/Colin Firth but N&S and especially Richard Armitage has gone ahead of the P&P. Armitage is the quintessential Regency/Victorian hero. A great actor who can convey in a look what he was feeling (his deep disappointment when Margaret did not "look back").

I wish he would act in more period pieces....I think he could even pull off this generation Mr. Darcy....or Heathcliff....or the Scarlet Pimpernel...so much potential.

So...did you like him in Robin Hood? MI-5?

Meg
Karaa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Meg. Perhaps we could agree that Richard Armitage (RA) is the quintessential Victorian hero, while Colin Firth (CF) is the quintessential Regency hero...? Smile

I did like the looks of RA in Robin Hood, although not so much his character. I did, really, really like RA in Spooks, a.k.a. MI-5, the (excellent IMO!) series blessed with excellent leading men: first, Matthew Macfadyen, who then went to earn his spurs as Mr. Darcy in the movie adaptation of P&P; then, Rupert Penry-Jones, whom I adored as Capt. Wentworth in Persuasion especially; and last but not leats, RA. Not to forget Raza Jaffrey.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's awesome in MI-5/Spooks, but hey, I'll watch him in anything.
library addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he's gone on to more leading man roles since N&S. For those of us who discovered the mini-series back when it first aired, we didn't have too much to choose from for his "back-credits" Wink

I also thought he did a good job in Robin Hood, but the show itself was a total mess.

He plays a trauma doctor in the mini-series The Golden Hour, but he's about the only thing I recommend about it Laughing

I've got Strike Back on my wishlist at Amazon UK, but haven't seen it yet.

He's also set to play dwarf Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit.

As for N&S vs P&P, I'll just say I love them both Very Happy
Lizzie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go on Youtube and watch episodes of this show. How many times have I watched the train station scene and the kiss ? Well, let's just say a lot.

It's a great show and John Thornton is to die for. Richard Armitage does a great job. I also missed it when it was first shown so have had to make up for lost time.

I really would like to have this on DVD so i am going to see if it is available Amazon.
Claire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is an entire website devoted to Richard Armitage, several actually but the one I know of with a message board is http://c19.proboards.com. Really good information on all the stuff he's done. If you're into audio books by Georgette Heyer, he's done a couple of those and there are some good reviews here on that. I'm a big enough fan to have seen Strike Back and Spooks. I think he looks really good in Spooks! Razz I'm not as excited about the Hobbit coming up but I'm happy he got such a great part. I'm surprised he hasn't been discovered in the US market like Colin Firth has but maybe that will happen one day. Love, love, love North and South. Glad you found it and loved it too!

Library addict.. and anyone else here...do you post at c19? (c19= century 19 for those wondering...)
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
Library addict.. and anyone else here...do you post at c19? (c19= century 19 for those wondering...)
I used to, but haven't been over there in ages.
Meg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:
....I'm surprised he hasn't been discovered in the US market like Colin Firth has but maybe that will happen one day. ....

I think it's very similar to RA, except for the P&P diehards, Firth was relatively unknown....he was typecast as Darcy for the longest time until his breakout role in A Single Man.

I got a slew of RA DVDs from the library - Spooks, Vicar of Dibley (last 2 episodes), Shakespeare Retold. I'm going to wait on Robin Hood. It will be interesting to see him on the big screen in Captain America and The Hobbit. Just wished he would balance it with other BBC period pieces.

Meg
Claire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg wrote:
Claire wrote:
....I'm surprised he hasn't been discovered in the US market like Colin Firth has but maybe that will happen one day. ....

I think it's very similar to RA, except for the P&P diehards, Firth was relatively unknown....he was typecast as Darcy for the longest time until his breakout role in A Single Man.

I got a slew of RA DVDs from the library - Spooks, Vicar of Dibley (last 2 episodes), Shakespeare Retold. I'm going to wait on Robin Hood. It will be interesting to see him on the big screen in Captain America and The Hobbit. Just wished he would balance it with other BBC period pieces.

Meg

Colin Firth- I think he was well known here before Single Man because of the Bridget Jones movies. At least, thats when I fell in love with him. Wink I saw P&P after Bridget.

RA: I saw the first season and some of the second of Robin Hood. He has some really good scenes with Marian. I think you'll be pleased.

I wish he would do more BBC period pieces too. Big time!
Meg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire wrote:

Colin Firth- I think he was well known here before Single Man because of the Bridget Jones movies. At least, thats when I fell in love with him. Wink I saw P&P after Bridget.

RA: I saw the first season and some of the second of Robin Hood. He has some really good scenes with Marian. I think you'll be pleased.

Now I'm intrigued about Robin Hood! I like RA so far in Spooks but wonder why he's only in 2 seasons.

As far as Colin Firth -- I followed his career since P&P. Not offered great lead roles and I always wondered whether he would seriously pick "What a Girl Wants" or even Nanny McPhee. I always thought the Bridge Jones movies were another P&P derivative. I'm glad that he's finally getting recognition for his acting talent!!

Meg
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meg wrote:
Claire wrote:

Now I'm intrigued about Robin Hood! I like RA so far in Spooks but wonder why he's only in 2 seasons.

As far as Colin Firth -- I followed his career since P&P. Not offered great lead roles and I always wondered whether he would seriously pick "What a Girl Wants" or even Nanny McPhee. I always thought the Bridge Jones movies were another P&P derivative. I'm glad that he's finally getting recognition for his acting talent!!

Meg

I saw What a Girl Wants and I was just cringing for CF. Not just that but the terrible stereotypes of Brits. Just awful. Hopefully he'll have better roles now that he's almost an Oscar Best Actor and I think it will happen. Knock on wood!
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched this yesterday. It was wonderful!!!
Meg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niftybergin wrote:
I finally watched this yesterday. It was wonderful!!!

Isn't it though?! It's a timeless classic. For me, it holds up much better than Pride & Prejudice (with Firth) which I recently rewatched.

Meg
kim76

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly recommend RA in the Strike Back series. Kind of sad the American version doesn't include him (he was involved early on and then left for greener pastures, i.e. The Hobbit).

Hoping The Hobbit makes him a big name over here, but he'll always be John Thornton to us!

Another big fan of MI-5 here. All three men (and Jeffrey;)) have been wonderful in it. Even though I love RA and MM, I think RPJ as Adam is the best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: