AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Anyone Watching Downton Abbey?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beverley1022

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Is Anyone Watching Downton Abbey? Reply with quote

I first heard about Downton Abbey on Twitter and since it was a Masterpiece Theatre Classic series, thought it would be just my kind of series. I just recently saw North and South for the first time and absolutely loved it (reminded me of P&P), so I happy to see another period piece coming out.

I streamed the first episode online and was immediately addicted. I'm champing at the bit waiting for the DVD to come and hoping until then, they will have the second episode online.

Is anyone else watching it? I so wish they'd have more period pieces like this for historical buffs to watch.
http://www.beverleykendall.com
http://theseasonforromance.com
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to record part I, so I decided to wait for the DVD.

However, I have heard that the region 1 DVDs does not have the commentary special feature, so I will probably wait and order the region 2 DVD.

The region 1 DVD is the complete version. The episodes airing on PBS are edited.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of the British "bonnet dramas" and am thoroughly enjoying Downton Abbey. The production values of these programs are always so high. The writing is excellent and the actors so well-cast. I am enjoying the upstairs, downstairs nature of the series and find the varying points of view interesting.

I had heard that an updated version of the old Upstairs, Downstairs series aired recently in Great Britain and am hoping we will see that here as well. I am also anxiously awaiting the new season of Larkrise to Candleford to debut stateside.
beverley1022

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never watched Upstairs, Downstairs and now I have to. I'm going to assume it's a period piece. I'd heard of it before, but thought it was modern.
http://www.beverleykendall.com
http://theseasonforromance.com
BabyBorge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I love this series. My sister and I cannot stop talking about it. I love the details in the stories of the different characters from the scullery maid to the lord of the abbey himself, The Earl of Grantham. It's so rich and complex, you know those issues between the upstairs folks v. the downstairs ones and new ideas such as "having a job" or being "a gentleman." I love that PBS picked up this series and I wish that they would continue to show the second season as well.

I also started watching the old Upstairs, Downstairs (in prep for the new version coming out later this year, also on PBS) Very Happy
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I about fell out of my chair laughing when the Earl's mother asked what a weekend was. It was hysterical and perfect for both the time and the character.
PamelaM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlotte McClain wrote:
I about fell out of my chair laughing when the Earl's mother asked what a weekend was. It was hysterical and perfect for both the time and the character.

LOL, I had a similar reaction Charlotte! Got to love Maggie Smith. My heart goes out to anyone in a scene with her. Smile The woman is perfection in this role and her bewilderment with the winds of change affecting the times in just that one line just epitomized the time period. Of course, the incredible writing of Julian Fellowes is also outstanding.

If anyone is interested, the Masterpiece website just posted episode 2 today for viewing.
Dormilona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downton Abbey's brilliant, with its fascinating, complex, deeply interesting characters. Above all, I've come to love Brendan Coyle's character, Bates, Lord G's former batman. There's a man you KNOW would have your back in the worst of times. He personifies courage, grace, and dignity. And then the lovely maid, Anna, played by Joanna Froggatt. Maggie Smith is glorious, but it's Bates and Anna who keep me riveted.
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the back and forth between the Countess of Grantham (Maggie Smith) and Mrs. Crawley--I especially like how they don't make the Countess a outright villain--she gets some things right, like at the rose show, and the diagnosis of the butler. And the little snide comments are priceless. They are both great characters. But the Countess' hats--oh my goodness--to die for!!
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
Trish B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the chorus of praise for Maggie Smith - she's just fabulous as the Dowager Countess! But I am starting to dislike Mary Mad I understand that she feels slighted and cheated out of her inheritance, but she also is a spoiled brat IMHO. I think Sybil is adorable with her "modern" views and I loved when she came to dinner and modeled her new "frock"! I just love this timeperiod . . .
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo every other poster's praise for the series. The writing, the sets, the costumes, the casting is all brilliant. And you get such a feel for this time of social, political, and economic upheaval.

Maggie Smith is priceless! What she can convey with a look or an expression is amazing. I am a big fan of Brendan Coyle and his nuanced portrayal of Bates is so well done. I think all of the characters are very well cast. I have snarled out loud more than once at the antics of Thomas and O"Brien and hope they get their just rewards.

I'll be sad to see it end.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final episode is so heartbreaking. Will we never see O'Brien and Thomas get what's coming to them?
iluvarake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at this point I'd like to see Mary and Edith stranded on a desert island together. I'm fed up with the both of them.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:
The final episode is so heartbreaking. Will we never see O'Brien and Thomas get what's coming to them?

Thomas is going in to the medical corps at the beginning of a war that was called "a meat grinder" and ended mostly because the Spanish Flu wiped out a lot of the fighting force. Something tells me he's not going to have the cushy job he thinks he will. I'm hoping that O'Brien, without Thomas egging her on, will come to grips with what she's done and the guilt will chip away at her day by day, but I'm cruel that way.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was freaking me out is that the guy playing the character "Bates" looks just like the actor Alan Bates. All through the series, even though I knew it wasn't him, I kept thinking of him as Alan Bates.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000869/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: