AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11 in 2011: Two Ways to Play
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: 11 in 2011: Two Ways to Play Reply with quote

This year I thought we would offer two challenges. An easy one, at the bottom, aimed at simply getting 11 books off that pesky to be read pile and then the usual challenge.

The TBR Challenge is at the very bottom.

Welcome to the 11 in 2011 AAR Reading Challenge.

Your Goal: To read 11 romance-related books in 2011

The Challenge: To select your 11 books from among the following categories:

Our Theme: At the Movies! (Strictly a theme, we will still be doing books!)

Category 1: New Releases (aka New-to-Me Authors)
Choose one book each from three authors whose work you have never read.

OR:

Choose one book each from three new authors just published this year. (RE: Last year I read Sarah Sundinís A Distant Melody, her first published book ever.)

Category 2: Now Showing
Pick one of the following two categories Period Piece (New or Least Favored Time Periods) *OR* On Location( New or Least Favored Places) and read three books from that category, following the instructions listed.

Period Piece (New-to-Me or Least Favored Time Periods)
Choose three books from any three time periods that you tend to avoid or have never read before. The time periods are:

Ancient World
Medieval
Elizabethan
Georgian/Colonial
Regency
Frontier/Pioneer/Old West
Civil War
Gilded Age/Turn of Century/Late Victorian
WWI/Roaring 20's
Depression/WWII
1950's/Mad Men, the Red Scare, and the Cold War
The Time of Global Movements/1960's, 1970's, 1980's
Contemporary - set in 2009/2010
Future

Period Piece with a Twist

Birthday Book: 1 book published the year/decade you were born or about the year/decade you were born in.
Sweet 16: 1 book published the year/decade you turned 16 or taking place the year/decade you turned 16
Happy 21st: 1 book published the year you turned 21 or taking place the year/decade you turned 21

All in the Family:

Your Birthyear (or decade)
Your Mom or Dadís birth year (or decade)
One of your grandparents birth years. (or decade)

OR

On Location: New-to-Me or Least Favored Places
Choose three books from any three places or settings that you tend to avoid or have never read before. The places/settings are:

Africa
Alaska/Canada
New York City, Boston
Southern U.S.
Northwest U.S.
Caribbean
Western/Mainland Europe
Eastern Europe
Southern Europe
Mediterranean
Russia
New Zealand/Australia
Other Asia
South America
England/Ireland/Scotland

On Location with a twist :

1 book from your home state/province/city - can be anywhere you have lived.
1 ancestral location book (if your family has always lived where you are, pick a historical set in that location, otherwise it would be from where one of your ancestors is from. IE, my dad is German, my mom Spanish/Italian. I could choose from Germany, Spain, or Italy.)
The Vacay Book - one book from a location where you have been on vacation.

Category 3: Wildcard!
Choose one final category from the seven options below, and make your book selections based on the directions within that category.

And the Oscar goes to . . . Pick one book from each of these categories:
Rita award winner
AAR contest winner (Top 100, Annual Favorites etc.)
Cover Contest Winner

Peopleís Choice Award
Pick one book from each of these categories:
A review/Four Stars etc. on website/magazine
Bookstore Recommend (Borders and several of our local shops put notes on their staff pick books)
Recommended by other readers

Back to the Future
Pick one book from each of these categories:
Time Travel
Futuristic
Cool Car (as in ďYou made a time machine? Out of a DeLorean?Ē) or teen romance

Scary Movie Pick one book from each of these categories:
Werewolf
Demon/Ghost/Zombie/Succubi/fallen angel (non-werewolf or vampire scary creature)
Vampire

Funny Face. Pick one book from each of these categories:
Historical Farce
Contemporary Comedy
Humourus Title

Musical Pick one book from each of these categories
Either hero or heroine is musician
Book title based on song or has music in title (ie A Distant Melody or Songbird Under a German Moon)
Either hero or heroine is a dancer or dancing plays a significant role in the book OR h/h is singer

Dinner and a Movie Pick one book from each of these categories
Hero or Heroine work at/own restaurant/cafe/bakery/some kind of eatery or drink spot
Hero or Heroine work in film/TV industry
Food/Drink in title (ie Thereís A Cake in My Future, Misery Loves Cabarnet)

A Man for All Seasons Pick one book from three of these categories

Spring Fling: One book set in Spring or with Spring/Spring Month in Title
Hero or Heroine has Seasonal Name (ie Winter from Shadow of the Moon)
Winter Wonderland: Winter book or snow on cover
Boys of Summer: One book set in summer time

Captain Newman, M.D.

H/H is a doctor
H/H is a psychiatrist/psychologist
H/H is a nurse, dentist/dental assistant/nutritionist or other medical professional

Category 4: Ultimate challenge. To get the all important tenth and eleventh books

Read two books from any of the following categories:

Epic Movie:
Two books that meet the definition of Epic (long, covering at least a decade, examples would be Outlander or The Bronze Horseman. The Far Pavilions)

Disaster Film
Any book covering a disaster such as Phyllis A. Whitneyís The Fire and The Gold or The Trembling Hills which deal with the San Francisco fire of 1906. Elizabeth Hamilton Friemondís Promises in the Attic deals with a flood in Dayton, OH at the turn of the century. Joss Ware has a series of futuristics which take place after the Earth has been changed by a cataclysmic event. Wind off the Small Islesby Mary Stewart is a contemporary (1970ís) book which looks back at a horrific volcanic event on the Canary Islands. I learned a lot from that book - like where the Canary Islands actually are.

Holiday Picture

Two books covering two different holidays. Can be holiday anthology, such as The Other Side by J.D. Robb et all which was published for Halloween.

Gangster Movie

Dealing with gangsters or set in the gangster era. Can be about the lawman that fight them or about the gangsters and their gals. Michelle Jerrot (aka Michelle Albert) has a book called Her Bodyguard which deals with a shoe and mystery from that period, which would also work. Jude Deveraux also has a book that deals some with that period, Sweet Liar.

Military Movie

Any two books dealing with soldiers or war.

Movie Tie-In

Two romances that have been made into films. Like The Time Travelers Wife or Nora Robert's Montana Sky.

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler

Whittle away at your TBR pile by reading the following:

3 Books that have been in your TBR more than six months.OR 3 books in a series
1 Book that was a gift or 1 Impulse Buy
2 Books that are part of a beloved authors back list
2 Books that you got on sale
2 Books that are from an expired line (ie Harlequins Duets or Everlasting Love) or 2 books by an author(s) that hasnít/havenít been published recently (ie, her last book came out over a year ago)
1 Book by a new you to author

Addendum: I want the challenge to be fun, so please don't stress too much about the technicalities of things. For example, if you can't find a book set where your mom or dad was born, switch to going for general area -ie- if they were born in Champaigne, Il anywhere in IL would do. Or the Midwest. If they were born in Belgium and you can't find a romance set there, choose somewhere in Europe (not England). This is supposed to be fun, so please have fun with it! Challenge yourself only as much as you want to be challenged.

Last edited by Maggie AAR on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great ideas there, Maggie. Should be fun.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very clever, Maggie. As a big movie buff, thanks much. I can't wait to join in. (Maybe I'll finally get around to reading The Bronze Horseman!)
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the morning getting started on my challenge: -) I sent my mom an email asking for my grandparents birth years. Honestly never gave any thought to it before.

I think I will be doing:

Three books by authors published first in 2011. That one will be hard.

Then for location I will be doing the twist - I've vacationed lots of places so surely I will be able to find a book about one of them! My home town has a couple of books set in it and then my only challenge will be finding a book set in Germany. I am certain I can find something.

The rest should be a piece of cake after dealing with those three.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving in to my Obsessive-compulsive disorder, I began a search for authors first be published in 2011 and have found my first book (which sadly won't be published till August 2011.) Read the blurb - doesn't it sound great?

http://www.tawnafenske.com/

maggie b.
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Giving in to my Obsessive-compulsive disorder, I began a search for authors first be published in 2011 and have found my first book (which sadly won't be published till August 2011.) Read the blurb - doesn't it sound great?

http://www.tawnafenske.com/

maggie b.
For Making Waves? That does sound good.

As a side note, that is one PINK website Shocked

Not sure if Iím inspired or wacko, but Iíve decided to tackle both challenges this year (22 books out of the TBR pile is better than 11, right Razz ) Haven't picked my wildcard category, yet. But I have enough books in my TBR pile for the entire Whittler Challenge and 6 o 7 of the Movie Challenge (with books still left over Laughing )
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a side note, that is one PINK website Shocked

Is it ever! My contact lenses nearly fell out in shock. But the books do sound like fun. Thanks for the tip.

Elizabeth
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to do both challenges. My first book is for the TBR Pile challenge is Ink Exchange from Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series. I had totally forgotten I got these books and was quite surprised to find them in my older than dirt pile. Now I know why they have been languishing there so long.

Irial is King of the Dark Fairy Court. Not a fun job. In a desperate effort to keep his people fed with the negative emotions they thrive on he begins an ink exchange with young Leslie, a gal with more than her share of trouble. But does the ink that bind them work for or against them? When not just negative emotions are involved, what will happen?

A fascinating concept, and I loved the idea of linking through tattoo art. But I found myself quite uninterested in Irial and Leslie. Hopefully I will connect better to the characters in book three. Leslia has to choose between two fey and the romance is intense, the eventual choice she makes a surprise.

maggie b.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing research for my birth year book I found the following romance authors who wrote/published in the 1960's:

Mary Stewart (if you haven't read her, do. She's wonderful.)
Violet Winspear
Essie Summers
Anne Mather
Anne Weale
Eleanor Farnes
Jan Tempest
Victoria Holt
Lucilla Andrews
Kay Thorpe (late 60's through today)

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing three "new" authors from my TBR pile is usually easy for me, as my TBR pile is pretty big.

As for category 2, I think I'll go for the "location with a twist" option. It'll help me to tackle the few books I have set in Germany, where my father's ancestors were from. For the rest, I guess I'm going to have to pay extra attention to the blurb describing the book to ensure the story truly is set in these places I've lived or vacationed. Sometimes romances just "play off" off things without actually delving into them.... Actually, they often do that.

As for the wild card category, I'm torn between three options. Either "Funny Face," "Musical," or "Dinner and a Movie." Just depends on which books from each option appeals to me more ... which is a mini-TBR pile choice, I guess. Wink

In terms of the last category, for my own good, I thought I should do the epic movie choice. I certainly have a few "epics" in my pile, but I'm afraid I'll get bogged down and am thinking I might do the "Holiday Picture" or "Military Movie" options. I'm sure I can find military related books, especially with Brockmann in my pile. However, almost all my holiday books deal with Christmas. Not many books cover other holidays, other than in the most glancing way. Hmm, that one could be a challenge if I settle on it.
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

In terms of the last category, for my own good, I thought I should do the epic movie choice. I certainly have a few "epics" in my pile, but I'm afraid I'll get bogged down and am thinking I might do the "Holiday Picture" or "Military Movie" options. I'm sure I can find military related books, especially with Brockmann in my pile. However, almost all my holiday books deal with Christmas. Not many books cover other holidays, other than in the most glancing way. Hmm, that one could be a challenge if I settle on it.

Sandlynn,

I had forgotten to add a blurb about holiday anthologies (there are always some for Halloween) so I fixed that.

Also, if you can find an American Historical that deals with the first Thanksgiving feast, that would be awesome.

Found some Thanksgiving reads like:

The Thanksgiving Target (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense) Laura Scott

The Rancher's Family Thanksgiving (Harlequin American Romance) Cathy Gillen Thacker

A Thanksgiving to Remember Margaret Watson

Harvest Hearts Anthology

There is also Easter At the Lakes by Sara Hylton

I reviewed a New Year's Anthology (still available somewhere I am sure) called Midnight Kiss by Robyn Carr et all.

For Mother's Day there is: In A Mother's Arms by Jillian Hart and Victoria Bylin

A Mother's Way by Lisa Cach, Lynsay Sands, Susan Grant and Julie Kenner

Mother's Day by Tara Taylor Quinn

maggie b.
library addict

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler
2 Books that are part of a beloved authors back list:
Sweet Starfire by Jayne Castle:
JAK is the only ďbelovedĒ author I can think of whose entire backlist I havenít already read Wink (Well, I donít think Iíve read every Nora either, but I have more than 2 old JAK books in my TBR pile, so she works better for the purpose of whittling).

Iíve had the 2-in-1 combo edition of this book and one of itís sequels, Crystal Flame, in my TBR pile since 2002 Embarassed Iíve picked it up multiple times since I first purchased it, but for a variety of reasons had yet to read it. I like sci-fi settings and, over the years, Iíve greatly enjoyed most the futuristic books sheís written as Jayne Castle set on the Worlds of St Helens and Harmony. However this futuristic tale lackedÖsomething. I didnít dislike the hero or heroine, but I also didnít feel connected to either character. That made it tough to care when they were in jeopardy (and they were in jeopardy a lot!). As fun as the dustbunnies are in her Ghost Hunters series, worldbuilding isnít JAKís greatest strength as a writer. I do admit to a mild curiosity about who the Ghosts in this world are (itís an earlier variation on the same theme she uses in her JC books). Hopefully that will motivate me to read Crystal Flame before nearly another decade passes Laughing

At the Movies Challenge: 0 down, 11 to goÖ
The Whittler Challenge: 1 down, 10 to goÖ
Maggie AAR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlyn:

What books do you have set in Germany? I have ancestors from Germany, Italy and Spain. I read books set in all three last year. I am trying to decide which one to do again - probably not Italy, that one is easy.

Maybe Germany or Spain. SO -- What do you have?

maggie b.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Sandlyn:

What books do you have set in Germany? I have ancestors from Germany, Italy and Spain. I read books set in all three last year. I am trying to decide which one to do again - probably not Italy, that one is easy.

Maybe Germany or Spain. SO -- What do you have?

maggie b.

I haven't gone through my entire list of unread books yet but the few I have set in Germany that I know of thus far are:

A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel
Perfidia by Elspeth McKendrick
Shining Through by Susan Isaacs (at least partly set in Germany)

Too bad Ibbotson's books are set in Austria because I have a couple of hers too. Close but no cigar, I guess.

As for other countries or areas: Scotland (which would be easy), France, and England (specifically Cornwall if I wanted to be challenged.)
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Ha! Found a book in my pile featuring a holiday other than Christmas:

New Year's Resolution: Baby by JoAnn Ross, Anne Stuart, and Margot Dalton

From Amazon:
Quote:
Three delightful stories comprise New Year's Resolution: Baby. In JoAnn Ross's "Champagne and Moonlight," Shiloh Beauregard meets Mr. Wonderful on New Year's Eve and, with a little luck, they will soon be making room for a baby in their cozy love nest. Rita award-winning author Anne Stuart's "A Midnight Clear" is a contemporary tale set in New Mexico. Kelly Malone needs stability and commitment for herself and her baby. But will she find these things in a rough rancher that captures her heart? Author Margot Dalton's charming tale, Lonnie's Secret, rounds out the trio. Lonnie James is determined to become pregnant on New Year's Eve with or without a husband, and the combination of a secret suitor, a masquerade ball, and the magic of the new year makes this a story not to be missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: