Monica Jackson

jacksonThe news broke on Twitter yesterday that author Monica Jackson had passed away.  As reported by her daughter, she suffered complications from surgery in which her brain lost oxygen for a number of minutes.  Our deepest condolences to her daughter and her family.

Monica was a romance author and a tireless advocate for African-American authors.  She believed that romance is romance and that segregation in romance was no different from segregation anywhere.  She participated in a column examining racism in romance here at AAR a few years ago that expresses her beliefs better than I ever could.

She was the squeakiest of squeaky wheels, not letting go even when she made people uncomfortable.  Contrary to that old saying about the squeaky wheel always getting the grease, sometimes that just doesn’t happen.  But that squeaky wheel sure as hell gets noticed. And sometimes even listened to.

RIP, Monica.

- Sandy AAR

Tags:

9 Responses to “Monica Jackson”

1. LeeF says:

Monica Jackson sounds like a very interesting person and a talented writer. If you could post a link (the one above doesn’t work) to her column about racism in romance, I would like to read it.

The link is now fixed, LeeF.

3. Leigh says:

I didn’t know Monica Jackson so my first action was to go to her web page. Very sad reading her last post in April. She stated:

My health has taken a funky turn. Nothing life-threatening, just annoying. That’s why I’ve been scarce.

I’ll have surgery in a couple of weeks, so won’t be around here much or posting until after my recovery.

Blessings,

Monica

4. KristieJ says:

I followed Monica on her blog and on posts she made at other blogs. She struck as a very angry Black Author, but as I read what she glad to say and really thought about it, I realized she had good reson for a lot of her anger. She made me think and face many of my own preconceived notions. Her words and passion helped enrich me as a reader and I really admired her spirit. She was needed in the romance community and I am sad that we lost her. My heart and sympathies go to her family for this woman we lost way too soon.

KristieJ, your thoughts mirror mine exactly.

6. LeeB. says:

What a sad story. Condolences to her family and friends.

7. CindyS says:

My deepest condolences to her family. Kristie said it perfectly.

CindyS

I read, Mr. Right Now, years ago when I was still going to the library for all my romance novels. However, her books were never in the large romance section of my library, but in general fiction.I did find that odd, but the book was very good. Might have to do a reread. Sorry to hear about her passing.

9. [...] romance writer Monica Jackson died from complications of surgery. There are tributes at All About Romance, Smart Bitches, Trashy Books and Teach Me [...]