AAR Mini-Polls: Top Tens
Animal House...or the Top Ten Pets You Wish Were Yours
April 5, 2007
Romance authors and romance readers love animals. Over 75 different creatures received votes – a penguin, a hedgehog, horses, a weasel, an elephant, a tiger, owls, sheep, a ferret, a parrot, a possum and, oh yeah, dogs and cats.
Jennifer Crusie easily topped this and earned votes for animals from six of her books. Animals from five of Susan Elizabeth Phillips' titles also earned votes. And though she didn’t reach the top ten, Laura Kinsale had pets from five of her books named as favorites.
1. Fred the dog in Anyone But You by Jennifer Crusie
2. Galahad the cat In Death Series by J.D. Robb
3. Hairy the dog in Take a Chance on Me by Susan Donovan
4. Pooh the dog in It Had to Be You by SEP
5. Rex the hamster in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
6. Newton the Corgi in The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn
7. Elephant in Kiss An Angel by SEP
8. Marigold the mongoose in Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
8. Dumfries the dog in Saving Grace by Julie Garwood
10. Rejar in cat form in Rejar by Dara Joy
And the rest of the best:
11. Wolf in Honor's Spendour by Julie Garwood
12. Dog in The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
13. The Hedgehog in Midsummer Moon by Laura Kinsale
14. Bob the dog in the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich
15. The dog in Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie
16. Nemo the Gerfalcon in For My Lady's Heart by Laura Kinsale
17. Bastet the cat in the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters
18. Katie the dog in Crazy for You by Jennifer Crusie
19. Wulf the dog in Once and Always by Judith McNaught
19. Napoleon the Penguin in Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale
19. The Basset hound in Ain't She Sweet by SEP
We invite you to consider these questions and post about these poll results:
- Were you surprised that we polled for this?
- What was it about your favorite animals that made you vote for them? (LinnieGayl is curious about the mongoose, because when she looked up a picture of an Egyptian mongoose, she decided she wouldn't want one anywhere near her).
- Do you make note of great animal "characters" or do they get in the way of your reading?
- If we missed some of your favorites, share them here.
Lee Brewer, LinnieGayl, and Cindy Smith
||Post to the Potpourri Forum