When it comes to movies, summer used to mean two things: Harry Potter and Pixar. Now that Harry Potter’s over, I’m left with just Pixar. I would call it religious, the way I unfailingly see the new Pixar every June and look forward to their new short, but I did skip Cars 2. And I don’t feel I’m missing much.
This year’s Pixar is Brave, which is unusual because a) it features actual humans (the only other full-length films that did so were The Incredibles and Up), and b) the protagonist is a girl! It seems quite fairy tale-ish, about a Scottish princess and bears and lots of humour, and features the voice talents of Kelly Macdonald (love her) and Emma Thompson. I’m really looking forward to it.
Other movies that caught my eye:
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits – I love Aardman Studios and their claymation. As soon as my schedule has a free space, I’m going to see the latest from the makers of Wallace & Gromit.
- The Avengers – Not sure if I’d pay full price for it, despite all the positive reviews. But if I have nothing better to do on a Saturday morning, I’m willing to pay $6 at AMC.
- Ted – Judging by the trailer, it’s about a man and his childhood teddy bear grown into a foul-mouthed toy, and I’m super curious to see what the critics say. I think it could be absolutely terrible or quite original.
- Magic Mike – Channing Tatum and Alex Pettyfer in a movie about strippers. Normally I’d say “whatever” and brush it off. But it’s directed by Steven Soderbergh. Curiouser and curiouser.
- The Intouchables – French phenom of 2011: #2 at the all-time national box office, feel-good movie about race, class, and a quadriplegic, and an unknown black actor winning Best Actor at the Cesars (beating, I might add, Monsieur Dujardin of Artist fame). I’m really looking forward to this one.
So what are you looking forward to this summer?
– Jean AAR