Like a squirrel, with the arrival of the first cold days I get an urge to prepare my house, my garden, and myself for winter. Some of it is necessary (the garden!), some of it is a matter of habit mostly.
Here is a list of what I am planning right now:
- Prepare the flower beds.
- Harvest the last apples.
- Wash all those summer clothes like skirts and jackets that don’t go into the wash each time after wearing.
- Sew that missing button on my fall coat.
- Put away my summer hat, get out the woolly ones.
- Scarves and gloves, ditto.
- Begin to discuss with my husband where to spend Christmas (his parents’, my parent’s, or our own house – lots of deliberation and consultation with siblings needed).
- Order myself some Christmas romances from Harlequin.
- Sort through my winter wardrobe and give away some items.
- Begin to gaze at fall and winter fashion in shop windows. I know it’s been there since early August, I just refuse to regard it until October.
- Cook apple sauce and freeze it.
How do you prepare for winter? Do you enjoy it? (I do, quite. Although I am not too fond of the cold, it’s kind of time for it now.) And when do you start planning for Christmas?
- Rike Horstmann