At the moment I must work a lot, using a great deal of energy and urgently requiring comfort at intervals, so it’s no wonder I turn to the pantry and the fridge on a regular basis. Now much as I love chocolate, I can’t eat it all the time, or my stomach rebels. So I’ve had to come up with some alternatives for comfort food. Here are my best finds:
- Bananas. Love’em. In addition, they always make me think of the Librarian (from Discworld), and I am more than happy to share one trait with him.
- Grapes. This morning, I got some lovely sweet red grapes. I’ve already told my husband he’ll have to hurry if he wants even a small share.
- Buttermilk. This is not so much winter comfort food for me actually, but in the summer, nothing can beat a large glass of refreshing buttermilk.
- Nuts. Make that all kinds of nuts. Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, peanuts, cashew nuts – okay, so I’m stopping now because I don’t want to torture all of you suffering from allergies any more. And although nuts contain quite a bit of fat, they are very healthy at the same time, making you feel smug while you eat them.
- A glass of milk. A different taste from buttermilk, and equally delicious.
- Corn and spelt crackers. If they sound like health food, it’s because they are – I get them from the local health food store. But my are they good! Each has a very distinctive taste, and I love both.
What kinds of comfort food do you like during spells of hard work?
- Rike Horstmann