The 2011 Listening Challenge at Speaking of Audiobooks
Welcome to AAR's first audiobook listening challenge. For a complete description of the Listening Challenge, please visit the January 11, Speaking of Audiobooks column.
Choose your level of involvement
Level One The I'm Going to Give It a Try Level - Choose 6 of the following 14 categories
Level Two The This Could Be Fun Level - Choose 9 of the following 14 categories
Level Three The I Take Challenges Seriously Level - Choose 12 of the following 14 categories
All categories refer to romance audiobooks or those containing a romance thread
1. Pick an audiobook that received a DIK grade at AAR in print format.
2. Tempt yourself to find a series that grabs hold and won't let go by listening to the first in a series.
3. Listen to another listener's romance favorite.
- You can find many of our listeners' favorites in our Favorites and Romance Audio Bests by Author columns. We're also running a thread over at our Romance Audiobook Message Board at AAR to assist you in choosing.
4. Listen to a book recommended in a previous Speaking of Audiobooks column (and following discussion).
5. Listen to a new-to-you author.
- We are targeting romance authors or those authors who include a romantic thread throughout the series such as Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series.
6. Listen to a romance sub-genre you usually avoid.
- Do you find yourself listening to the same type of book? Challenge your tired old preferences and discover a whole new world.
7. Listen to a romance book released in 2011.
- Watch our monthly new release columns for suggestions.
8. Listen to an abridged audiobook.
- Abridged doesn't have to mean cut up with favorite passages missing.
9. Listen to an audiobook that has been languishing in your to-be-listened (TBL) pile
- Whether your TBL pile consists on CDs on your shelf, downloads on your MP3 player, or a book you have on your library list - just do it.
10. Relisten to a favorite book
- Relistening to favorites is not only an affordable audio option, it is also a great way to while away the time.
11. Give a less-than-favorite narrator a second chance
- So you weren't impressed with that narrator and others are still praising her? Give her another try.
12. Share in your listening - listen to a book someone else chooses for you
- Ask for suggestions in any Speaking of Audiobooks column or check the thread we have going over at our Romance Audiobook Message Board at AAR.
13. Borrow a book from a friend or your library
- Discover a more affordable way to listen. For details on borrowing from a library see our Buy, Rent, or Borrow? column.
14. Listen to a new-to-you narrator
Have fun and come share your progress with us at our twice monthly Speaking of Audiobooks column or at our Romance Audiobook message board.